Dell XPS 15 7590 requiring 130W vs 100W

Notifications
Clear all

Dell XPS 15 7590 requiring 130W vs 100W  

RSS

Peter Anthony
(@peter_anthony)

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 7590 with a Razer Core X Chroma connected via TB3 which provides 100W of power to the laptop and I was wondering whether by not having the full 130W that Dell power adapters provide if I would receive any performance loss?

I ask because despite getting warnings about the charger being too slow, 100W is still seemingly enough to power the laptop without the battery draining. Sure it probably doesn't charge as fast but that doesn't bother me. What would bother me though is if performance was taking a hit because of the 100W instead of 130W.

Thanks in advance!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Lawless Heaven
(@lawless_heaven)

So technically if you are using egpu you are drawing less power by not using internal gpu. Just run stress test and check how big is your power usage. If it is under 100W, I believe it is because your laptop is charging, you should be fine .

Asus G501VW I7 6700HQ Razer Core X RTX 2070 SUPER

ReplyQuote
Peter Anthony
(@peter_anthony)

@lawless_heaven, thanks for the response. 

whats a good stress test program to use / free that would show me power usage?

thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote