Dell XPS 9570 + Razer Core X = Power Delivery recognized as 65W instead of 100W

Notifications
Clear all

Dell XPS 9570 + Razer Core X = Power Delivery recognized as 65W instead of 100W  

RSS

w3sii
(@w3sii)

I'm using a Dell XPS 9570 (Windows 10) in combination with a Razer Core X with a GTX 1080. The setup works well but I noticed something strange inside the BIOS.
Using the latest BIOS version v1.7.0 available for the XPS.

The BIOS of the XPS has a battery information page, which shows information about the AC adapter connected to the system.

This page shows me the following:

• With the original XPS adapter connected it shows 130W, which is good.
  • When I disconnect the XPS adapter and keep the laptop powered by the Razer Core X through Thunderbolt (USB-C Power Delivery) it shows 65W, which is strange.

This is strange because the Razer Core X should support up to 100W of Power Delivery through the USB-C connection. (as mentioned in the specifications on the Razer website)

I know the length and type of thunderbolt cable can influence this but I tried different scenarios and, when connected through Thunderbolt, it never gives me 100W. The BIOS always states it's 65W.

Scenarios:

Why doesn't the XPS recognizes the Razer Core X as a 100W power supply? What am I missing?

This topic was modified 2 years ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Valkeriefire
(@valkeriefire)

I have an XPS 9560 and I have a similar problem with different parts. I don't think you can fix it.  I have a TB16 dock which is rated to charge at 130w with a 240w power adapter (which I have). Unfortunately, my 9560 thinks it is only getting 60w, so it won't charge.  Since your 9570 wants 130w, and it is only getting 100w, the BIOS thinks it is getting 65w, and therefore does not respond to the extra power, which requires you to use the external AC adapter.  I know it sucks but you're not alone.  I have a gigabyte RTX 2070 eGPU I'll be testing an it also puts out 100w. I'm pretty sure it won't meet the needs of either my 9560, or the 9570 I'm having delivered in 2 days.

Long story short.  Use the laptop AC adapter.

How the performance of the your 1080 eGPU?  Can you post some benchmarks?

Dell XPS 9560, 7700hq, 2 Lane TB3: XPS 9570 8750H, 4 Lane TB3 enroute & Aorus 2070 eGPU enroute

ReplyQuote
oncedeepred
(@oncedeepred)

Posted by: w3sii

Why doesn't the XPS recognizes the Razer Core X as a 100W power supply? What am I missing?

I have a similar setup and also noticed that the Razer Core X was identified as 65W adapter. When booted in Windows, eventually both Dell and Windows power managers complained that the power source was not supplying enough power. I plugged Dell's power adapter in after that so I don't know if it would recover if the system load would decrease. It is my first system with USB-PD support so I am still discovering issues.

My guess is that USB-PD is such a mess at the moment that Dell decided to play safe. Unlike some systems that refuse to work with non-original power adapters, XPS 15 systems allow third-party adapters but limit the drain to 65W or less. Apple's MNF82LL/A is an interesting one as I find conflicting reports on the Internet in regards to its ability to supply power to XPS 15 systems, but it seems that a general conlusion is that it's not certified for PC hardware so it's better to avoid it[3]. So as @valkeriefire suggested, simply use the original power adapter.

As a side note, I couldn't actually find at least a few confirmations that Razer Core X can actually deliver 100W. Local review only features a macOS System Information screenshot which is useless for PC hardware owners. It would be nice if reviewers would use something akin to this tester device for checking rated power delivery.

[3] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ayypauly
(@ayypauly)

trick is to connect the TB3 while the xps is off and then booting into windows. Doing so windows wont recognize the power coming from the razer core as a slow charger, also the performance of the xps wont decline when turning on the system this way.

In the bios you can enable the xps to boot up when a power source is connected, that's what I did. I simply connect the TB3 while my xps is off and closed, it boots up without any issues or power warnings.

2018 Dell 15 XPS 9570 4k model + Razer Core X Chroma; Radeon RX 580

ReplyQuote