Drive the 8K display Dell UP3218K (fed via two DP1.4): Using Sonnet Puck 560/570...

Notifications
Clear all

Drive the 8K display Dell UP3218K (fed via two DP1.4): Using Sonnet Puck 560/570 or other solution, thoughts/comments?  

of  4
  RSS

cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

@Sky11,

Re 4), @mbp8k already ran 8K on the Puck. Have you done it too? Anyhow what is there to wait for, mbp8k already confirmed it works??

And re 2), what Thunderbolt firmware feature was added that's good for driving eGPU + 8K?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

Oh @Sky11 @mbp8k , with respect to 10 bits per color channel, will ATI and Nvidia be any different?

Someone said 8K 10bit mode will only run at 48Hz.

Are there any other relevant differences in office / 2D / video land between ATI and Nvidia: The Puck 570 is small, silent, and has open source drivers, however Asus XG Station Pro + EVGA 1070 would be a workable solution also - bigger, maybe as silent, and closed source drivers. If there are any functional advantages with the 1070 I would strongly consider it though. Are you aware of any?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member

The 8k 10bpc 48hz limit is due to the monitor displayport bandwidth, not the gpu.

My prior note was simply that:
- nvidia defaulted to 8k/8bpc/60hz
- amd defaulted to 8k/10bpc/48hz

You only need to configure it once the way you prefer.

2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 (Q M1200) [7th,4C,H] + RX 570 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

@mbp8k, cool, aha.

Other than this, any palpable quality differences for office/2d/video between ATI and Nvidia, in particular with next week's driver?

Still thinking of what to get. Puck 570 is certainly a slimmer, more open, and more integrated solution. Would there be any normal online or offline video (e.g. A265) that Nvidia would do well and ATI would fail?

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member

They look the same to me, but I only use desktop apps, no games or even video for that matter.

2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 (Q M1200) [7th,4C,H] + RX 570 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

@mbp8k , would you mind playing a couple of the 8K videos on YouTube on both cards (ATI and Nvidia) and see if playback is any smoother on either?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=8k

It seems to me that some video codecs are more demanding than others. This 4K video is particularly hard for my laptop to decode:  , the "stats" popup menu shows it's encoded with "Codecs vp09.00.51.08.01.01.01.01 (315) / opus (251), Color bt709 / bt709".

ReplyQuote
Robert K.
(@robert)

does anyone run MacOS at 8k/60Hz/8Bit?

8K Setup
2017 MacBook Pro 15, Dell UP3218K, ASUS XG Station Pro, ASUS AMD Vega 64 Strix, Win10 1709

ReplyQuote
cmm
 cmm
(@mois)
Trusted Member

@Robert , I think Mac OS X does not support the 8K resolution yet. I read documentations from 3 months ago saying that clearly. Also I tried to connect this 8K display to a recent MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics and it only gave 4K.

ReplyQuote
Robert K.
(@robert)

8K30Hz in MacOs is possible with the "SwitchResX" App.

8K Setup
2017 MacBook Pro 15, Dell UP3218K, ASUS XG Station Pro, ASUS AMD Vega 64 Strix, Win10 1709

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member

Macos doesn't support [email protected], at least I never got it working when I tried late 2017. I did also try hacking / overriding the EDID but no luck there, although I can't be entirely sure my hacks were correct given that there really isnt much documentation or online help in that area.

The switchresx [email protected] must be using a single DP1.3/1.4 connection.

Macos does support displayport tiling for 5k (2 x displayport 1.2), so you'd sort of think it may work for 8k since its the same deal only with bigger tiles. Theres a series of threads (outside of egpu.io) on folks debugging an early dell 5k with 2 displayport 1.2 connection with macos where they use EDID overrides to get it to work. I gave a half hearted attempt to do the same for 8k but no luck.

longpvo liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4