Notifications
Clear all

GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 eGPU  

of  10
  RSS

lbobo
(@lbobo)

Hi again...

I finally received the official TB3 > TB2 adapter & TB2 Cable (2m) + KFA2 EGPU.

My first boot into bootcamp was surprisingly good...since then....nothing works.

At the beginning:
First boot, I hot plugged the Egpu during W10 spinning wheel animation, Nvidia drivers automatically install, my external monitor connected to the EGPU (HDMI) light up and everything seems to work well. Applications & games recognised the Egpu without issues. A few black screens there & there which I think comes from windows updating I don't know what in the background.

My laptop went off to sleep..(Maybe BSOD?)...there was a black screen when I tried to wake it.
I turned it off the hard way and since then, it is BSOD on BSOD whenever I try to hot-plug or not the EGPU.

I had this variety of BSOD:
- Kernel Mode Heap Corruption
- PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
- IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Often when it is mentioned "What Failed", it says nvlddmkm.sys

What I tried to do:
Boot into Safe Mode and removes the existing driver with DDU. Seems to remove the BSOD on boot when I reach W10 login.
When I try to install the driver with the latest Nvidia one => BSOD in the middle of the installation.
When I try to install the driver in Safe mode => Fail in the middle of the installation.
At a time, I had Error 31, I uninstalled the device, after a while the device manager detected the 1060 automatically and guess what? BSOD.
I should probably try to run DDU another time in safe mode but I am running circles on what I could try.
I tried to update the TB driver but it seems it only works for computer with native TB3 ports? Shame...

What I noticed:
When I boot up the laptop with the EGPU connected, I get a black screen before any OS choices show.
When I boot up the laptop with automate-eGPU EFI & I connect the EGPU, the menu freeze.
When I boot up the laptop with automate-eGPU EFI & get into windows, my KB/Trackpad are not working.
If I connect the EGPU in MacOS, I can see all the details about it in system report and it seems everything is normal.

Info about my build:
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017), very similar to 2015 one.
Version 10.14.6 (Mojave)
CPU: 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Original Apple SSD replaced with an Adapter + Nmve SSD.
I am using TB3>TB2 + TB2 Apple cables.

For Boot Camp, I am using the latest windows version (19042.630 (20H2) I believe.)

If anyone has an Idea on what I could try, you are more than welcome.
I will continue to try to make it work in the coming days.

This post was modified 2 months ago

MBA 2017 + KFA2 SNPR TB3>2 1060 EGPU

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

I managed to install the latest Nvidia Driver in safe mode.
For some reasons, I could plug the EGPU when W10 was on desktop, but the device manager was hanging.
I decided to hot plug during the W10 logo in Safe Mode like a normal launch, there I could finish the installation.

Now I keep getting BSOD everytime the EGPU seems to get recognized in W10, this is the one I get constantly:

- PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

What Failed: nvkddmkm.sys

Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
Stéphane Betzi
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member

Honestly, besides trying a fresh W10 install ... 😐 

Dell XPS 13 v2018 - 1To SSD - 16Go RAM
KFA2 GALAX SNPR NVIDIA 1060 egpu
Belkin - Thunderbolt 3 cable USB-C 3.1-40 Gbit/s, 5K, 100 W - 2M

2018 13" Dell XPS 13 9370 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Galax SNPR) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Stéphane Betzi
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member

With the release of the RTX3060 I am starting to wonder if we can swap the 1060 even if the box cannot be closed anymore. We actually just need to be able to power the card (what about the 12 pin connector ???) and be able physically adapt the best we can ...

Any thoughts?

2018 13" Dell XPS 13 9370 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Galax SNPR) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

Bonjour!

I am now battling with Error 43.....

I believe it is surely possible even to 3D print another enclosure to keep the TB3 board.
Keep in mind the PSU limitation and see if it would be ok for the RTX3060.
It seems it needs 8 pin thought! (Adapter from 12 to 8 is available with the FE edition.).

ReplyQuote
Stéphane Betzi
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member

On the expensive side, but some 4 pins power supply can be found with higher labelled power (not sure if actually true though) :

Here on amazon.fr 333w instead of our 230w

https://www.amazon.fr/Delippo-Alimentation-Adaptateur-Alienware-GT83VR-6RF-Titan-SLI/dp/B07TSBZT5Y/

ReplyQuote
lbobo
(@lbobo)

This review on Amazon.com of the same product does not inspire confidence:

https://www.amazon.com/Delippo-Alienware-ADP-330AB-P775DM3G-GT83VR-6RF-Titan-SLI/dp/B07TWKTYZM

I bought this AC adapter for my gaming laptop which require 330W but the quality was very poor that the adapter was shutting off randomly all the time! don't waste your time and money on this product and purchase for elsewhere!

I had a quick look on the web, the Dell official one is overpriced....(142euros).

ReplyQuote
Stéphane Betzi
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member

Well. 

We will see. In any case, those cards are not available yet. And I think I would prefer a regular RTX3060 than a ti for my use. I will reconsider in a few months when the cards will be readily available everywhere.

ReplyQuote
 of  10