mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
September 8, 2018 11:29 pm  

What you linked can be summarized as "instead of a fruity fashion toy buy a computer instead". OP did. So, what's up with the KFA2? I am curious, too.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 10, 2018 5:50 pm  

@hyrla The GALAX SNPR eGPU seems to be available in select EU countries only. From what I gathered, it has Thunderbolt firmware version 25,2 that has H2D issue. Other than that it should work with most Thunderbolt Windows laptop.

TBT firmware 25,2 combined with H2D issue is a clear sign this eGFX was ready for sale in Q1 2017. I'd be inclined to say due to no official Nvidia support in macOS, GALAX abandoned its plans on pushing this eGPU globally.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member
September 11, 2018 5:33 pm  
Posted by: Hyrla

Hi everyone !

I currently own a Dell XPS 13 9370 and an Aorus Gaming Box 1080. They are awesome !

But few minutes ago, I was browsing Facebook as usual, and I found an ad for this : [link]

It seems to be an eGPU with a GTX 1060 inside form KFA2. I has a very good price (about $300). The problem is, why nobody talk about it ? Does someone own it ? It seems to be a good product, but it seems there is no mention at all about it on egpu.io

What do you think about it ?

As you can see here, I own it :
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-13-xps13-nvidia1060-6go-galax-snpr-windows-10/

ReplyQuote
lionel
(@lionel)
September 26, 2018 8:26 pm  

Hello,

I'm really interested in buying a egpu for my macbook air (early 2015) but I'm not sure it will work. I've read several topics but found no clues to my question.
the snpr looks super intersting since it's price is quite low compared to the  other solution based on a akito  thunder2  + geforce 1050ti + power adapter.
would love to have advise on this solution ?
thanks

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 8, 2018 1:32 pm  

Dear all

I just have received an e-mail from Galax, the manufacturers of the KFS2/Galax GTX 1060 6GB eGPU, that confirms there is a firmware update to solve the half H2D issue with the T3 chips:

Thank you for reaching GALAX customer service. The new version of firmware (.bin file) and update software have launched
Update method:
1.) Unzip FwUpdateTool and thunderbolt driver.7z
2.) Confirm the version of thunderbolt driver. If it is lower than 17.3, you need to install the driver version contained in the unpacked folder.
3.) Run FwUpdateTool.exe and load the bin file update.
4.) After the update is successful, shut down, power off, and reboot.

A user of the French website "Dealabs" has confirmed it made it work on a MacMini server 2011 with the purge wrangler script on High Sierra and the Apple T2/T3 adaptor:

Pour info, la carte fonctionne sur mon mac mini server 2011 via l'adaptateur Thunderbolt 1/2 - USB-C vendu sur le site d'Apple. J'ai du mettre a jour en Macos High Sierra et j'ai utilisé le script purge wrangler. Je n'ai pas encore testé par contre sur une installation bootcamp.

Before buying this eGPU and a T2 to T3 adapter I prefer to wait until I have a new Mac with T3. In the meantime, are there any news from any egpu.io member on this product?

Regards,
Jaime

Antonin and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member
November 9, 2018 3:03 pm  

Where to find the firmwire updater tool?
Can you as well provide a link to the French forum you talked about?

Many thanks

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 9, 2018 10:17 pm  

Stéphane,

For the first question, I have not managed to find the driver they offer (suggest?). I have asked them on the contact form. Has somebody here any clue? Can it be a generic driver this "17.3" version?

EDIT: I realised they had send it attached to the e-mail. PM me and I will send it to you, it is not accepted as attachment..

For the second question, you can find it here:
https://www.dealabs.com/comments/permalink/19072746

It is not really a forum. But if you join you can PM the poster.

And one question for you:  Would you mind trying with a friend's Mac if you can and report? Your wife's...

Thanks and regards,

Jaime

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
November 10, 2018 5:26 am  

I can resist everything except temptation. As the refurbished one is just 202.99EUR I grabbed one. I used a French package forwarder, will report if it worked out although they will need to forward to Hungary only ie no pesky customs paperwork (and their website has absolutely atrocious UX but oh well). Crazy but this is cheaper than a desktop 1060 GB card. I travel less now and I will chuck the 230W brick in the suitcase and keep the dock in my carry on. Not as small as the Lenovo Graphics Dock but hopefully (much) quieter.

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 10, 2018 8:22 am  

I have been contacted via PM but I am not allowed yet to reply, being probably a bit new in this forum.
Has anybody a solution so I can share the files? They are under 3 MB both together.

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
November 10, 2018 8:47 am  

Then just email me, I PM'd you. chx1975 gmail com Thanks!

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 10, 2018 10:01 am  

I just emailed it to you, if you know how to put it at the disposal of the rest of the members please do.
I suppose it needs to be flashed with a PC with T3, I have none so it will take me longer than you probably. Please tell me how it goes.

I have ordered it from rueducommerce.com too finally. I think it is a good price for 225EUR, if it does not work with my MBP I can always use it with a PC. For that price…
But on the website topachat.com it does say it works with Macs, and so does say somebody on a french forum, so I am quite confident:

regards,

JA

EDIT: Your provider rejected it:

EDIT 2: I put them in Google Drive and sent you the links.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 10, 2018 10:12 am  

There are three websites that sell it in France, from 225 to 259EUR: rueducommerce, darty and topachat.

If you read the complete post you will see I am quite confident it will work. I will tell you next weekend.

ReplyQuote
(@stephane_betzi)
Eminent Member
November 10, 2018 10:28 am  

These three websites are well known in France so any of them will do the job. 

Sadly I am travelling so I cannot be of much help tontest anything until I come back in several weeks.

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
graki
(@graki)
November 12, 2018 9:58 am  

@jangoloti
Please, can you send me the links for the updated firmware too ?
fradav_at_gmail.com
Many thanks for advance !

ReplyQuote
graki
(@graki)
November 12, 2018 2:41 pm  

@jangoloti
Thanks for the links.
I confirm it works as expected.
(measured by CUDA-Z)
Before: Host to Device 1170 MiB/s

After : Host to Device 2648 MiB/s

jangoloti liked
ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 12, 2018 4:27 pm  
Posted by: graki

I confirm it works as expected. (measured by CUDA-Z)
Before: Host to Device 1170 MiB/s

After : Host to Device 2648 MiB/s

Great! Are you on Mac or PC ?

ReplyQuote
graki
(@graki)
November 13, 2018 9:28 am  

Windows sorry, I know you badly want a macos success report. A bunch of coworkers of mine are equipped with recent MacBook pro, if I got time I will test it on one of them.

With the patch, I've noticed a sensible speedup in tensorflow workload, time between iterations has decreased, wich is to be expected with a H2D bandwidth boost.

Regards,

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 13, 2018 9:34 am  
Posted by: graki

Windows sorry, I know you badly want a macos success report. A bunch of coworkers of mine are equipped with recent MacBook pro, if I got time I will test it on one of them.

With the patch, I've noticed a sensible speedup in tensorflow workload, time between iterations has decreased, wich is to be expected with a H2D bandwidth boost.

Regards,

Thanks.

It does work on Mac, it has been reported by several users on a French consumer forum called dealabs.com. But they are less technical than some of the users of this forum and discussions do not last long there. Probably on High Sierra only, not Mojave.

Regards,

J

theitsage and goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
(@antonin)
November 13, 2018 11:12 am  

Hi there,

could you be kind enough to upload the files online on Google Drive or whatever file hosting you fancy so everyone can make use of it, that would be greatly appreciated.

cheers guys.

ReplyQuote
Dandu
(@dandu)
November 13, 2018 2:46 pm  

Hi

Can you send me the firmware ? (dandu at me dot com)

Thank you (merci ?)

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti)
November 13, 2018 5:27 pm  

I add here the links to my Google Drive with both the tool and the .bin file, I do not know which one is which:

File 1 out of 2
File 2 out of 2

The instructions are:

Thank you for reaching GALAX customer service. The new version of firmware (.bin file) and update software have launched
Update method:
1.) Unzip FwUpdateTool and thunderbolt driver.7z
2.) Confirm the version of thunderbolt driver. If it is lower than 17.3, you need to install the driver version contained in the unpacked folder.
3.) Run FwUpdateTool.exe and load the bin file update.
4.) After the update is successful, shut down, power off, and reboot.

Enjoy it !

Jaime

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev