Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty  

of  25
  RSS

Niklas Pedsen
(@niklas_pedsen)

WIll this work with my 2015 macbook pro 13inch /w bootcamp (windows10) and a tb3 > tb2 adapter and a thunderbolt 2 cable?
Great review by the way 🙂

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Niklas, there are two working examples of using a TB3 enclosure on your 2015 13" MBP here. This TB3 enclosure will work in the same way.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Niklas Pedsen
(@niklas_pedsen)

so in other words yes it will work? how about the software on windows 10 that concerns me the most.
Thanks
Edit, and also it seems that I would have to buy an adapter from apple and a cable, put the cost of cables together is 100 USD is there any cheaper way?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the review ! Any games benchmarks since the H2D update with an xps 9550 ? 

I try the giveaway too...who knows? 

ReplyQuote
Adelson Chua
(@anchua)

@itsage

Having some issues updating the firmware of the Gaming Box. Currently using a Windows 10 Bootcamp on a 2017 13" Macbook pro (4 ports).

After installing the 16.2.55.275 version of Intel Thunderbolt software (the software won't run because it is in Bootcamp), I can open the FWUpdateTool from Aorus. However, this is the device that is being seen. Contrary to what is shown in your pictures, I don't see the GIGABYTE device under it.

When I select the bin file to be uploaded, it gives me this Error 0x102 ReadFirmware function failed error. If I tried to do it again, it gives me the WMI error: Not found.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Niklas Pedsen

it seems that I would have to buy an adapter from apple and a cable, put the cost of cables together is 100 USD is there any cheaper way?

A more cost effective mini eGPU for your Thunderbolt 2 Macbook may be built using an AKiTiO Thunder2 native Thunderbolt 2 enclosure. See instructions on how to do this by @enjoy at:  https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Awesome dimensions, and thanks for the review!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

You can try an older version of Intel Thunderbolt Software. I recall this version worked on my Late-2016 13" MacBook Pro. The Thunderbolt firmware update tool needs a functional Intel Thunderbolt Software in order to execute the firmware flash.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
kleveland
(@kleveland)

I'd love to join the giveaway! I've been amazed by egpu tech for a while now.

ReplyQuote
 of  25