Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty

Notifications

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty  

of  7
  RSS

(@zadillo)

Great review, especially looking forward to more details in the boot camp guide. I'd love to win this in the giveaway to pair with my 15" MBP

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ViDtje
(@vidtje)

Great review!

Would love to win this and make it work with my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@duncan_stevenson-price)

This is a pretty interesting looking device. I'd love to give it a try!

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)

Thanks for the review and the giveaway!

Do the LED settings stick on a reboot to, say, macOS?

ReplyQuote
academicbadger
(@academicbadger)

Thank you for the review. I've been lurking for a while now and waiting for egpu.io review of this box. I'm hoping it'll drive some more competition into the ultra small and portable range.

Are there any further rumours of higher spec cards such as 1080ti coming as mini tax varients yet? (Can only find 1080 mini tax at present.

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Posted by: baris3

hello,

I am thinking about buying Auorus GTX 1070 gaming box, I have 15" RMBP with 750m. There seems to be to much hassle just to get it work with W10. Can I get it work without installing rEFInd ? I have W10 installed, can't I just plug and play with few modifications ? 

And would it only run external monitor with W10 ? Is it possible to run only with external without doing modifications or fewer modifications ?

And If I do use external display only, would the graphics performance be equal to other gaming laptops equipped with the GTX 1070 ?

Be careful with the 750m dGPU version of this MBP model. Nobody was able to get an NVIDIA eGPU (9** and 10** series) to work with a thunderbolt 3 enclosure. However, using an AMD card is relatively straightforward...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/

If you absolutely want an NVIDIA card, I would advise to use a thunderbolt 2 enclosure such as the Akitio Thunder2. If your wish is to use an external monitor, you will be happy to hear that it is really easy to set it up (no rEFInd needed, almost plug and play, works with all versions of Windows 10). However, it's another story concerning the internal display...

Regarding the performance now, enjoy did some testing using the external display.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-15-mbpr-iris-only-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-internal-display-optimus-enjoy/#post-4345

Results are ~16% performance loss compared to a desktop (could be more for bad-optimised games, less for well-optimised games). I don't know how they compare to gaming laptops however...

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
(@zilvinas_kuprenas)

Exactly the thing I was looking for for my Macbook!

ReplyQuote
baris3
(@baris3)

I've wanted the nVidia because of the ease of recording gameplays if I ever want to upload those videos into a youtube channel. 

I can't get Akitio thunder 2 in my country. Even if I can, it is too much hassle for me because I might have a hard time finding the right parts. Maybe if you guys can link me all parts I need from amazon I can see how much it would cost me to import those. (with an AMD card in this situation of course, if it is plug in play like that with external monitor)

Auorus seemed cool with price and it includes GPU. That GPU in my country nearly costs same as Auorus box itself.

I can get Auorus shipped from amazon and it costs me 2600 cash including import fee. For 2600 here, I can build a ryzen 3 1200 + GTX 1050 ti (I will probably ship it from amazon for 150$) gaming desktop for about 2000 (monitor not included). For the remaining 500-600 cash, I can get a 25 inch ULTRA WIDE LG monitor. Meaning for the same price of Auorus, I can get a gaming desktop with gtx 1050 ti.

What do you guys think I should do ?

ReplyQuote
Dudlileif
(@dudlileif)

This really seems like a good contender in the generally expensive eGPU market, at least when the H2D issue gets fixed.

ReplyQuote
Patrick Dee
(@patrick_dee)

Hi, dear author one question:

I just got one 1070 gaming box last week and the loud high pitched buzzing under load is nearly unbearable.
Is it just my card or is it, as you mentioned a bad solution of the fans?

Is my card broke or is this a general issue? Thinking about giving it back and ordering a different one?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Hi Patrick,

The high-pitched buzzing noise is the nature of these 40mm fans. There are reports of coil whine on this GTX 1070 ITX under load. I’d recommend contacting Gigabyte Support.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

No news on higher performing card to be made available in this chassis. IMO the GTX 1070 for external graphics is the sweet spot at the moment.

A competing option such as the RX Vega Nano would be nice for macOS High Sierra.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

The RBG settings for the LEDs stay when boot into macOS. It will only be reset when paired with a new host.

ReplyQuote
saschamt
(@saschamt)

Awesome review. Count me in for the giveaway!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Which model of the mid-2017 MacBook Pro? I’d recommend booting up without an external monitor and see if that resolves the stuck Windows logo.

ReplyQuote
loci
 loci
(@loci)

Please enter me in the giveaway!

As a periodic traveller the small size and weight is very interesting.  

Is replacing the buzzing 40mm fans (with better ones) a reasonable idea?  Assuming there are better fans out there...

I am guessing a person could simply disconnect the LED jumper?  

Thank you so much for the review.

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)

Posted by: itsage

The RBG settings for the LEDs stay when boot into macOS. It will only be reset when paired with a new host.

Thanks!

I have the finger on the buy button, but am still feeling extremely uneasy about its compatibility with my 2016 MacBook 15”. I don’t mind tinkering at all, but I guess I’ll be waiting for a comprehensive guide first.

ReplyQuote
mambo99
(@mambo99)

Thanks very much for this review @itsage - please count me in for the giveaway!

Hoping to pair this with a Zenbook Pro as a portable VR rig for the university I'll be working at - looking forward to hearing about the results of your test with the Oculus!

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)

Thanks for the great review!

I am really excited for the future of eGPUs. It is nice to finally see officially supported eGPU solutions coming onto the market. Software support is also coming along nicely, with Apple even releasing an external graphics development kit.

For me personally, this Aorus gaming box seems to be the best solution. It is much cheaper and more portable than a Razer Core or Akito Node. The portability is also a great advantage. You could easily take it to the office for example, if you want to do some VR development.

It’s also nice to see that this Pascal based eGPU works well with MacOS. Let’s hope that MacOS High Sierra will still support Nvidia eGPUs. I am thinking of replacing my five-year-old Dell with a Mac, but would really like a laptop that I can also game on.

ReplyQuote
baris3
(@baris3)

Please let me in for the giveaway I need it

ReplyQuote
baris3
(@baris3)

Posted by: Antharsious
Posted by: baris3

hello,

I am thinking about buying Auorus GTX 1070 gaming box, I have 15" RMBP with 750m. There seems to be to much hassle just to get it work with W10. Can I get it work without installing rEFInd ? I have W10 installed, can't I just plug and play with few modifications ? 

And would it only run external monitor with W10 ? Is it possible to run only with external without doing modifications or fewer modifications ?

And If I do use external display only, would the graphics performance be equal to other gaming laptops equipped with the GTX 1070 ?

Be careful with the 750m dGPU version of this MBP model. Nobody was able to get an NVIDIA eGPU (9** and 10** series) to work with a thunderbolt 3 enclosure. However, using an AMD card is relatively straightforward...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/

If you absolutely want an NVIDIA card, I would advise to use a thunderbolt 2 enclosure such as the Akitio Thunder2. If your wish is to use an external monitor, you will be happy to hear that it is really easy to set it up (no rEFInd needed, almost plug and play, works with all versions of Windows 10). However, it's another story concerning the internal display...

Regarding the performance now, enjoy did some testing using the external display.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-15-mbpr-iris-only-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-internal-display-optimus-enjoy/#post-4345

Results are ~16% performance loss compared to a desktop (could be more for bad-optimised games, less for well-optimised games). I don't know how they compare to gaming laptops however...

I’ve wanted the nVidia because of the ease of recording gameplays if I ever want to upload those videos into a youtube channel. 

I can’t get Akitio thunder 2 in my country. Even if I can, it is too much hassle for me because I might have a hard time finding the right parts. Maybe if you guys can link me all parts I need from amazon I can see how much it would cost me to import those. (with an AMD card in this situation of course, if it is plug in play like that with external monitor)

Auorus seemed cool with price and it includes GPU. That GPU in my country nearly costs same as Auorus box itself.

I can get Auorus shipped from amazon and it costs me 2600 cash including import fee. For 2600 here, I can build a ryzen 3 1200 + GTX 1050 ti (I will probably ship it from amazon for 150$) gaming desktop for about 2000 (monitor not included). For the remaining 500-600 cash, I can get a 25 inch ULTRA WIDE LG monitor. Meaning for the same price of Auorus, I can get a gaming desktop with gtx 1050 ti.

What do you guys think I should do ?

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)

I'm surprised to hear that it was easier to get the eGPU working on macOS than Windows (for the 15").
Hopefully the dGPU being an issue is a short lived problem!

PS: Enter me in the giveaway please!

ReplyQuote
dailymetanoia
(@dailymetanoia)

Just starting to read into the whole eGPU thing (considering one for my 2017 15" MBP). So, if Gigabyte sends out the new firmware, is there any idea how much the gap between the dGPU and eGPU benchmarks would be? I'm debating if I should get the AORUS with the 1070 or if I should just keep the 970 I have around and buy a Breakaway 350/550...

ReplyQuote
htkeyes
(@htkeyes)

looks awesome!

ReplyQuote
Jaye
 Jaye
(@jaye)
Eminent Member

I like its dimensions. Would be awesome gift for my girlfriend. 🙂

I want to participate in this giveaway. 

2017 13" HP Spectre 13" x360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10
2016 15" Asus UX501VW GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

ReplyQuote
mypmypm
(@mypmypm)

Can I enter giveaway? 🙂

I like this enclosure so much - small and powerful.

ReplyQuote
zkst
 zkst
(@zkst)

I read that this works with XPS15, 9550.

Can anyone confirm? I read that there were a lot of issues regarding bottlenecks and other issues with the other brand eGPU and Aikitio is one of the best at the moment.

I understand that the XPS15 9550 has a bottleneck with the TB3 as well but if this is as simple as or almost as simple as Plug&Play then I'm gna get it.

ReplyQuote
Fengles
(@fengles)

Good review. I've been holding off on getting an eGPU, because some of the options out there don't seem as... portable. But this might actually be perfect for what I have in mind - LAN parties. All I need to carry around is my laptop, this box, and maybe a monitor (and mouse and keyboard).

I'm interested to see what the other companies will release as well though.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

One of the Thunderbolt 3 hosts I used for this review was the XPS 15 9550. It worked plug-and-play but due to x2 PCIe lanes over Thunderbolt 3 connection, eGPU performance is lower than hosts with x4 PCIe lanes.

ReplyQuote
laminator
(@laminator)

This is a great writeup, thank you.  I would like to enter the giveaway.

ReplyQuote
kaeliri
(@kaeliri)

This is the first eGPU, aside from the Acer Graphics Dock, that approaches what I've been looking for for almost two decades. It's probably the eGPU I'll end up getting, whether through the giveaway or otherwise.

My first attempt at using a powerful video card with a laptop was around year 2000. I used a 15" laptop with a gigantic docking station that could take small-ish vanilla PCI cards. The best video card that would fit was a Geforce2 MX, and the whole setup worked surprisingly well.

Ultimately it was a slow video card on a dead-end bus, so we switched to a self-contained laptop when the first discrete mobile GPU models started to come out. We weren't too happy with their portability though, and eventually switched to ultraportables. We had Vidock's ExpressCard-to-PCIe enclosures but, sadly, the convertible HP tabletPCs we settled on -- this was the pre-iPad era -- never worked particularly well with them.

Eventually Thunderbolt 3 happened. I briefly tried the Powercolor Devil Box, but it was too big and too loud. I wish the Aorus box was even smaller and had an Ethernet port but, given that it holds a fully-fledged desktop video card, it otherwise ticks all the checkboxes.

It's taken until 2017, but I think that the convenient ultraportable desktop replacement may finally be reality.

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Schmidty15
(@schmidty15)

Nice review! I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for new "all-in-one" boxes like this.

ReplyQuote
SourDo
(@sourdo)

Very attractive little box!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

kaeliri, the Gaming Box has been sized to pack a PSU, GTX1070, power delivery & USB 3.0 ports in an enclosure sized just large enough to house the components.  A smaller enclosure would mean giving up either the PSU or going less powerful GPUs, or even a MXM GPU. 

An alternative could be something like an AKiTiO Node Lite + GTX1080Ti mini + Meanwell 252w external PSU + custom wiring + chassis mods as discussed at https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/ . There you’d gain an even more powerful GPU as a custom similar sized solution. Though you wouldn’t get power delivery or multiple USB 3.0 ports going down that route.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
joebain
(@joebain)

Great review, very thorough!

It looks very promising. I'm a VR dev and hoping to find something I can use to bump up the performance of a more portable laptop. Any idea if there are much compatability issues? Or will anything with Thunderbolt 3 basically work? Good to hear it works with a Thinkpad X1 as I'm looking at a T470, so hopefully that would be fine too.

(Also, yes this is a shameless giveaway entry :-/ )

ReplyQuote
(@ethan_h_hr)

Great article on the aorus, just found out about egpu's a while ago and would to win the giveaway to test it out with my 5K Retina Late 2015 Mac, thanks for the article.

ReplyQuote
 of  7