Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty  

of  25
  RSS

Stefan Barle
(@equi)

Love the development of eGPU. Looking forward to use this enclosure soon as I travel a lot for work, but need strong GPU for 3D rendering. 17inch gaming laptop =heavy back ache. Have to find laptop that has good CPU but is light and has TB3.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
harugane
(@harugane)

Great review. Was the 45.7 C temp readings under heavy load? If so that's pretty great. Also with the new firmware update expected from Gigabyte, what is the expected gain on bandwidth?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Posted by: harugane

Great review. Was the 45.7 C temp readings under heavy load? If so that's pretty great. Also with the new firmware update expected from Gigabyte, what is the expected gain on bandwidth?

I was monitoring the area above the 13" MacBook Pro keyboard actually. It felt hot so I checked the surface temperature. The single fan inside this MBP when running full speed was louder than the AORUS Gaming Box. I will be doing more extensive thermal and noise testing in the coming months on all enclosures I have. They will run WITH and WITHOUT the outter enclosure.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sekator
(@sekator)

I wonder how noisy the box really is.  Any chance to measure in dbs? Or compare it to,say, a macbook under idle/load? Alternatively, is it realistic to replace the fan to a quieter one?

ReplyQuote
hAWt1019
(@hawt1019)

great stuff!! now i want one...:)

ReplyQuote
apleks
(@apleks)

Used to have a Razer Core, returned it because stupid idle noise was bothersome to me. I secretly hoped the Gaming Box could produce less fan noise on idle, I guess my expectations were too high.

If I ever get one, I think I might want to replace those little fans with silent ones, or if possible, add speed controller switch PWM style, I guess, unless that can be controlled via software somehow?

Thanks for the giveaway, if I win it tho, I will stop complaining about noise I promise Smile

ReplyQuote
dirtyuzbek
(@dirtyuzbek)

Great review! Fingers crossed for the giveaway!

ReplyQuote
Rob27shred
(@rob27shred)

Wow, pretty surprised with how GB went about making this eGPU. All in all I would call it a winner despite it's lower quality parts compared to other eGPUs. Really I think this is the smartest way about going for an eGPU box. It's well known that there will be a performance hit using an eGPU so I always found it kinda crazy other companies made such huge eGPU enclosures with top of the line components. I'm sure all that eeks another few FPS out of the eGPU but to me an extra $100 to $200 is not worth an extra 1 to 10 FPS.

ReplyQuote
Medi47
(@medi47)

Excellent review @itsage, I'm considering buying one this month, I have Intel NUC Skull Canyon, do you think the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box will be better choice than Akitio Node + GTX 1070 in performance ?! 

Another question, could I change the small fans with this noctua model NF-A4x10 FLX ?!

Thanks in advance for your response.

ReplyQuote
brockhold
(@brockhold)

This box is pretty great; my brother bought one for use with his Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Setup was as painless as your experience, though the internal screen is doing some strange things a 2017 MacBook Pro. After installing Windows and the Nvidia drivers, it boots up and is happily usable -- except the internal screen just displays the Windows bootup logo, overlaid with some glitchy static. The framebuffer for the intel integrated chipset appears to be fubar. It doesn't impact use of the external monitor, and it feels stable despite this.

ReplyQuote
 of  25