Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty  

of  25
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Which model of the mid-2017 MacBook Pro? I'd recommend booting up without an external monitor and see if that resolves the stuck Windows logo.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
loci
 loci
(@loci)

Please enter me in the giveaway!

As a periodic traveller the small size and weight is very interesting.  

Is replacing the buzzing 40mm fans (with better ones) a reasonable idea?  Assuming there are better fans out there...

I am guessing a person could simply disconnect the LED jumper?  

Thank you so much for the review.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
VxD
 VxD
(@vxd)

Posted by: itsage

The RBG settings for the LEDs stay when boot into macOS. It will only be reset when paired with a new host.

Thanks!

I have the finger on the buy button, but am still feeling extremely uneasy about its compatibility with my 2016 MacBook 15”. I don’t mind tinkering at all, but I guess I’ll be waiting for a comprehensive guide first.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mambo99
(@mambo99)

Thanks very much for this review @itsage - please count me in for the giveaway!

Hoping to pair this with a Zenbook Pro as a portable VR rig for the university I'll be working at - looking forward to hearing about the results of your test with the Oculus!

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)

Thanks for the great review!

I am really excited for the future of eGPUs. It is nice to finally see officially supported eGPU solutions coming onto the market. Software support is also coming along nicely, with Apple even releasing an external graphics development kit.

For me personally, this Aorus gaming box seems to be the best solution. It is much cheaper and more portable than a Razer Core or Akito Node. The portability is also a great advantage. You could easily take it to the office for example, if you want to do some VR development.

It’s also nice to see that this Pascal based eGPU works well with MacOS. Let’s hope that MacOS High Sierra will still support Nvidia eGPUs. I am thinking of replacing my five-year-old Dell with a Mac, but would really like a laptop that I can also game on.

ReplyQuote
baris3
(@baris3)

Please let me in for the giveaway I need it

ReplyQuote
baris3
(@baris3)

Posted by: Antharsious
Posted by: baris3

hello,

I am thinking about buying Auorus GTX 1070 gaming box, I have 15" RMBP with 750m. There seems to be to much hassle just to get it work with W10. Can I get it work without installing rEFInd ? I have W10 installed, can't I just plug and play with few modifications ? 

And would it only run external monitor with W10 ? Is it possible to run only with external without doing modifications or fewer modifications ?

And If I do use external display only, would the graphics performance be equal to other gaming laptops equipped with the GTX 1070 ?

Be careful with the 750m dGPU version of this MBP model. Nobody was able to get an NVIDIA eGPU (9** and 10** series) to work with a thunderbolt 3 enclosure. However, using an AMD card is relatively straightforward...

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/

If you absolutely want an NVIDIA card, I would advise to use a thunderbolt 2 enclosure such as the Akitio Thunder2. If your wish is to use an external monitor, you will be happy to hear that it is really easy to set it up (no rEFInd needed, almost plug and play, works with all versions of Windows 10). However, it's another story concerning the internal display...

Regarding the performance now, enjoy did some testing using the external display.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2013-15-mbpr-iris-only-gtx106016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10-internal-display-optimus-enjoy/#post-4345

Results are ~16% performance loss compared to a desktop (could be more for bad-optimised games, less for well-optimised games). I don't know how they compare to gaming laptops however...

I’ve wanted the nVidia because of the ease of recording gameplays if I ever want to upload those videos into a youtube channel. 

I can’t get Akitio thunder 2 in my country. Even if I can, it is too much hassle for me because I might have a hard time finding the right parts. Maybe if you guys can link me all parts I need from amazon I can see how much it would cost me to import those. (with an AMD card in this situation of course, if it is plug in play like that with external monitor)

Auorus seemed cool with price and it includes GPU. That GPU in my country nearly costs same as Auorus box itself.

I can get Auorus shipped from amazon and it costs me 2600 cash including import fee. For 2600 here, I can build a ryzen 3 1200 + GTX 1050 ti (I will probably ship it from amazon for 150$) gaming desktop for about 2000 (monitor not included). For the remaining 500-600 cash, I can get a 25 inch ULTRA WIDE LG monitor. Meaning for the same price of Auorus, I can get a gaming desktop with gtx 1050 ti.

What do you guys think I should do ?

ReplyQuote
Robot Ripper
(@robot-ripper)

I'm surprised to hear that it was easier to get the eGPU working on macOS than Windows (for the 15").
Hopefully the dGPU being an issue is a short lived problem!

PS: Enter me in the giveaway please!

ReplyQuote
dailymetanoia
(@dailymetanoia)

Just starting to read into the whole eGPU thing (considering one for my 2017 15" MBP). So, if Gigabyte sends out the new firmware, is there any idea how much the gap between the dGPU and eGPU benchmarks would be? I'm debating if I should get the AORUS with the 1070 or if I should just keep the 970 I have around and buy a Breakaway 350/550...

ReplyQuote
htkeyes
(@htkeyes)

looks awesome!

ReplyQuote
 of  25