RSS

Jaye
 Jaye
(@jaye)
Eminent Member

I like its dimensions. Would be awesome gift for my girlfriend. Smile

I want to participate in this giveaway. 

2017 13" HP Spectre 13" x360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

2016 13" HP Spectre X360 [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mypmypm
(@mypmypm)

Can I enter giveaway? Smile

I like this enclosure so much - small and powerful.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
zkst
 zkst
(@zkst)

I read that this works with XPS15, 9550.

Can anyone confirm? I read that there were a lot of issues regarding bottlenecks and other issues with the other brand eGPU and Aikitio is one of the best at the moment.

I understand that the XPS15 9550 has a bottleneck with the TB3 as well but if this is as simple as or almost as simple as Plug&Play then I'm gna get it.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Fengles
(@fengles)

Good review. I've been holding off on getting an eGPU, because some of the options out there don't seem as... portable. But this might actually be perfect for what I have in mind - LAN parties. All I need to carry around is my laptop, this box, and maybe a monitor (and mouse and keyboard).

I'm interested to see what the other companies will release as well though.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

One of the Thunderbolt 3 hosts I used for this review was the XPS 15 9550. It worked plug-and-play but due to x2 PCIe lanes over Thunderbolt 3 connection, eGPU performance is lower than hosts with x4 PCIe lanes.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
laminator
(@laminator)

This is a great writeup, thank you.  I would like to enter the giveaway.

ReplyQuote
kaeliri
(@kaeliri)

This is the first eGPU, aside from the Acer Graphics Dock, that approaches what I've been looking for for almost two decades. It's probably the eGPU I'll end up getting, whether through the giveaway or otherwise.

My first attempt at using a powerful video card with a laptop was around year 2000. I used a 15" laptop with a gigantic docking station that could take small-ish vanilla PCI cards. The best video card that would fit was a Geforce2 MX, and the whole setup worked surprisingly well.

Ultimately it was a slow video card on a dead-end bus, so we switched to a self-contained laptop when the first discrete mobile GPU models started to come out. We weren't too happy with their portability though, and eventually switched to ultraportables. We had Vidock's ExpressCard-to-PCIe enclosures but, sadly, the convertible HP tabletPCs we settled on -- this was the pre-iPad era -- never worked particularly well with them.

Eventually Thunderbolt 3 happened. I briefly tried the Powercolor Devil Box, but it was too big and too loud. I wish the Aorus box was even smaller and had an Ethernet port but, given that it holds a fully-fledged desktop video card, it otherwise ticks all the checkboxes.

It's taken until 2017, but I think that the convenient ultraportable desktop replacement may finally be reality.

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Schmidty15
(@schmidty15)

Nice review! I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for new "all-in-one" boxes like this.

ReplyQuote
SourDo
(@sourdo)

Very attractive little box!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

kaeliri, the Gaming Box has been sized to pack a PSU, GTX1070, power delivery & USB 3.0 ports in an enclosure sized just large enough to house the components.  A smaller enclosure would mean giving up either the PSU or going less powerful GPUs, or even a MXM GPU. 

An alternative could be something like an AKiTiO Node Lite + GTX1080Ti mini + Meanwell 252w external PSU + custom wiring + chassis mods as discussed at https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/ . There you'd gain an even more powerful GPU as a custom similar sized solution. Though you wouldn't get power delivery or multiple USB 3.0 ports going down that route.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  25