Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box Review - Tiny but Mighty  

of  7
  RSS

remiadf
(@remiadf)

Yes, it works great under macOS. You can’t update firmware or change LED-lights though. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: remiadf

Yes, it works great under macOS. You can’t update firmware or change LED-lights though. 

can't update firmware? that sounds like an issue. I'll need to hook it up to  a windows machine for sure as soon as I set it up right?

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

Posted by: dream3
Posted by: remiadf

can't update firmware? that sounds like an issue. I'll need to hook it up to  a windows machine for sure as soon as I set it up right?

I think you need a TB 3 port to be able to update the firmware (I'm not sure). I have tried to update it under windows 10 with adapter and all, but the enclosure isn't recognized and the update tool shows a thunderbolt error. As stated in a earlier post, the GPU works great under Windows with Nando's eGPU setup. The only issue for me now is those two fans. The increase in performance is overwhelming right now under windows. My MacBook now performs better than most of my friends gaming PC's. I've read somewhere that the firmware will make the gaming box even better, but for now I'm very satisfied with what I got. I guess I have to find someone with a TB 3 connection so I can update it.

I have contacted Gigabyte about the issues. No reply yet.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

dream3 liked
ReplyQuote
joebain
(@joebain)

Posted by: nando4

@joebain, please re-test and advise VR performance after applying the H2D fixed Aorus Gaming Box firmware that was recently released, available for download at:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl

Thanks - I did try with the new drivers. I had a bit of a delay because the next day the box simply refused to turn on. No lights, nothing. I was about to send it back but gave it one last try today and it came back to life. Anyway, I tried the new drivers and the difference is not perceptible. I did try a few demos and games from the Oculus store and the performance is ok, but something different with the dev work I'm doing really doesn't suit it. I was getting around 10-20 fps in our current demo - I tried on a friends laptop with a built-in 1060 and got a solid 90fps for the same demo.

EDIT:

I did a bit more research and it seems part of the issue might be a problem with Unity. They have released a patch for Macs suffering similar problems with the Apple egpu dev kit: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vr-on-macos-preview-build.474381/ Apparently these fixes are also in the new general beta, so I might try that tomorrow and see if there are any improvements.

ReplyQuote
(@aks_walia)

oooh that seems excellent hope i win

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

Here is the reply from Gigabyte: 

Dear Remi,

Sorry for the problem you encountered. Because the problem may cause by system environment or hardware issue, if possible, please test Gaming Box with other laptop or computer which supports Thunderbolt 3 port and install Windows 10 only to rule out compatibility issue. Please also make sure you have installed all Windows 10 drivers properly for your computer.

Meanwhile, because we cannot guarantee the Thunderbolt adapter quality and performance, we suggest you to connect the Thunderbolt 3 cable to Gaming Box and your laptop directly (if your laptop supports Thunderbolt 3 port).

Regards,
GIGABYTE

ReplyQuote
joebain
(@joebain)

I thought I would post an update with my VR experiments. I ended up getting hold of an MSI Stealth Pro, a laptop with a 1060 in it and ran some comparisons. I used the Ungine Heaven demo to benchmark performance and also Nvidia's FCat VR Benchmark program. In summary: on the regular graphics benchmark the Aorus eGPU beats the 1060 laptop, but in the VR benchmark it falls down. Although the average framerates are not too bad and it did get around 90 for both apps I tested. The killer is though - the eGPU has way more missed frames than the laptop, and I think this must be down to data transfer rates over the thunderbolt connection. The dropped frames in Robo Recall were about 1 per second on the laptop, but about 5 per second with the eGPU! The headset can cope with a small number of missed frames and synthesize in-betweens, but with a high number like this you get stutters which are extremely off-putting.

There is a graph of the results here for those who are interested: https://imgur.com/a/x0DkC

EDIT: forgot to post the Ungine results. The eGPU got 2501, and before the new firmware update it was 1922, the laptop got 2273.

EUdyZKZ

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joebain Thank you for your tests and reports. I recall you said the AORUS Gaming Box is paired with a Thinkpad T470. Can you share an implementation with us? Have you checked the Thunderbolt 3 connection attaches to 4 lanes?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
joebain
(@joebain)

I'm not sure what you mean by "implementation" but I used the standard drivers. I believe the Lenovo software did perform an update on the thunderbolt firmware in the laptop at some point after I got it. I also updated the gaming box using the firmware provided by Aorus. I didn't notice much difference between the H2D version and the standard, although I believe both are better than the stock firmware. It could be that the improvement I saw on the Ungine benchmark was not down to the firmware too.

According to this post ( https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5ykwge/to_all_owners_of_thinkpads_with_thunderbolt_3/) it uses 4 lanes.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I read the link and I’m not convinced the T470 has 4 lanes for Thunderbolt 3. Can you install HWiNFO64 to check? 

Please expand the PCI Express Root Port fully under which the eGPU is connected. Here’s an example of the HP Spectre 13 X360 which has 4 lanes.

hp spectre 13 hwinfo 4x pcie 3

P.S. Laptop with Skylake and Kaby Lake U/Y CPUs may also be limited by low-power GT2 mode.

ReplyQuote
joebain
(@joebain)

It seems to be 4 lanes. I don't know about the low power limiting, but it could be happening.

hwinfo

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joebain. Thank you for posting the screen capture. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your T470 has a x2 PCIe lane Thunderbolt 3 connection. Look right under PCI Express Root Port #9 [A1/C1] to locate PCI Express x2 Bus #5. 

ReplyQuote
joebain
(@joebain)

Ah, that might explain it then! I might try with the MSI I have now, as that has a thunderbolt 3 port also. Thanks for the info though.

ReplyQuote
WilliamEd
(@williamed)

First I want to apologize for the double-post in the Gaming Box Enclosure forum, but I've had the gaming box for a week now and I just can't get the RGB light controls to work in the gigabyte "Game Engine" software. The software seems to change the GPU fan speed and Clock speeds just fine, but there is no LED option like there is on other people's screenshots. It's a small bug but rather annoying. My computer is a XPS 9550 running windows 10. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Dell XPS 15 9550 + MSI Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080, MacBook Pro 15 (2018) + MSI Aorus Gaming Box Vega 64 (custom)

ReplyQuote
(@hugo_lannes_goncalves)

Hey Edward, I replied to your Amazon review. Basically, I had a similar issue with a Nvidia card (mine is a 1080Ti on the Razer Core) and rolling back the OS to a previous restore point where it worked fine (1 week ago) did the trick. From now on, I try to avoid hot-plugging it as much as I can.

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Hello everybody :

Just got the aorus plugged in my xps 9550 .Well, it was not so plug and play and i still have a few issues ( can't control the ridiculous RGB leds ) but the first question i wouls ask is about the TB3 port . I know it s two lanes on the XPS 15 . After the H2D update i get these numbers on cuda z:

CUDA-Z Report

=============

Version: 0.10.251 32 bit http://cuda-z.sf.net/

OS Version: Windows AMD64 6.2.9200 

Driver Version: 385.41

Driver Dll Version: 9.0 (6.14.13.8541)

Runtime Dll Version: 6.50

Core Information

----------------

Name: GeForce GTX 1070

Compute Capability: 6.1

Clock Rate: 1721 MHz

PCI Location: 0:11:0

Multiprocessors: 15

Threads Per Multiproc.: 2048

Warp Size: 32

Regs Per Block: 65536

Threads Per Block: 1024

Threads Dimensions: 1024 x 1024 x 64

Grid Dimensions: 2147483647 x 65535 x 65535

Watchdog Enabled: Yes

Integrated GPU: No

Concurrent Kernels: Yes

Compute Mode: Default

Stream Priorities: Yes

Memory Information

------------------

Total Global: 4096 MiB

Bus Width: 256 bits

Clock Rate: 4004 MHz

Error Correction: No

L2 Cache Size: 48 KiB

Shared Per Block: 48 KiB

Pitch: 2048 MiB

Total Constant: 64 KiB

Texture Alignment: 512 B

Texture 1D Size: 131072

Texture 2D Size: 131072 x 65536

Texture 3D Size: 16384 x 16384 x 16384

GPU Overlap: Yes

Map Host Memory: Yes

Unified Addressing: No

Async Engine: Yes, Bidirectional

Performance Information

-----------------------

Memory Copy

Host Pinned to Device: 1388.83 MiB/s

Host Pageable to Device: 1208.29 MiB/s

Device to Host Pinned: 1315.75 MiB/s

Device to Host Pageable: 1175.92 MiB/s

Device to Device: 86.5133 GiB/s

GPU Core Performance

Single-precision Float: 6971.91 Gflop/s

Double-precision Float: 229.04 Gflop/s

64-bit Integer: 517.713 Giop/s

32-bit Integer: 2391.82 Giop/s

24-bit Integer: 1789.18 Giop/s

Generated: Mon Sep 18 22:50:56 2017

Does it seems what i should expect ? Thanks for your answers .

ReplyQuote
karit.ruks
(@karit-ruks)

Got the box today to connect with XPS 9550, also no LED options in the Aorus software.

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Hello.

well everything is turning crazy now... got the box working perfectly yesterday ... today i connected it and i m unable to get it to work.

when i plug the tb in , the utility keeps saying that this device may not work on this computer. Well , it always shown that, nothing New.

the box lightens, it's detected by the nvidia driver , the utility management , ok... cuda-z sees it ...alright. 

But : aorus utility isn't able to control the fans anymore , and even when i disable the 960m , games are working on the intelHD integrated chip!

tried to re-update the TB3 firmware and get error 0x10A 266 -error  while getting the PD firmware version". 

I'm looking into this but i'm really lost here..

any help ? 

Now trying this:  https://communities.intel.com/thread/115900

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Ok well i don't know exactly what worked but following the Steps above did it . 

It's working again. 

Hope it won't do it next Time i Turn it on. 

Probably due to à Bug in aorus engine , i saw briefly a window about the leds . I will continue to look after it anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@cpauya)

Gigabyte now have a new Aorus 1080 Gaming Box with Embedded Geforce GTX 1080! https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IXEB-8GD#kf -- so excited with these eGPU updates. 🙂

Macbook Pro 13-inch early 2015, Macbook Airs in the office from 2012-2015 models.

ReplyQuote
karit.ruks
(@karit-ruks)

Is there a fix to the missing LED settings in the Aorus Software? I'm in contact with Gigabyte support, but it's taking really long for them to reply so trying out here in case someone has a solution.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
PCMods4Fun
(@pcmods4fun)

Nice review, itsage. I really wish Gigabyte would sell that thunderbolt3 to pci-e board as standalone by itself.  They'd make a killing on that thing even at $75, especially considering there are full sized motherboards for $75, this board is small and has far fewer components making it very low cost to produce. It is not like Gigabyte is making money on the sheet metal and PSU. I can understand Gigabyte wanting to sell GPUs, but this way they can sell a bundle which allows them the flexibility to sell it with say a GTX1080ti for even more money, just like mobo+gpu combo bundles like on Newegg.

ReplyQuote
bakelite
(@bakelite)

Could someone explain these crazy stats? Looks like the Gaming Box is using too much power and is underclocking itself? This is on an XPS 15 9560. I'm pretty sure it started after updating to the latest Gaming Box firmware.

ReplyQuote
Cain_enD
(@cain_end)

Posted by: kaeliri
  • HP Elite X2 1012 G2 G1 mostly worked but power delivery was a little unpredictable;

Power Delivery was or wasn't working??? I'm tryin to solve that mistery. I'm setting up HP elite x2 1012 G1 with Aorus 1080 GB. Egpu works but No power Delievery. Any suggestion????

HP Spectre x360 13 8550U/16GB + Aorus GB 1080 (32Gbps)

ReplyQuote
ceve
 ceve
(@ceve)

Hi,

I recently got a Gaming Box with 1070, I have tried coupling it with a rMBP 2013 13″ that has TB2, and I’m using the TB3->TB2 adapter and a 2M Apple Thunderbolt 2 Cable. I have managed to get it working and actually I can play games without problem with an external monitor and the internal monitor.

My only worry is that the side fans doesn’t turn on when it’s connected to my MBP. When I connect to an newer TB3 Macbook Pro 15″ 2016 with AMD Pro 455 the LED and fan turns on.

I’ve been monitoring the temperatures with MSI Afterburner and it doesn’t go over 70°C when playing but I’m more worried about the PSU actually.

tl;dr
Does anyone know why the led and psu doesn’t turn on when it is connected to a TB2 Host? Is there any risk running it this way?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@ceveIf using TB3 enclosures with I/O ports on a TB2/1 system via a US$49 Apple TB3-TB2 adapter, USB ports are not visible in Windows (inc Aorus’ fan control). They do appear in macOS. Ref: itsage

Please see Aorus’ fan control to see how others have worked around this limitation.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@anirudh_dontha)

most of the people who bought AORUS/Gigabyte Gaming Box are suffering from either connecting it to laptops or not working after 4 months . What is the reliability of this product ? I have a Razer Stealth 2017

ReplyQuote
(@anirudh_dontha)

most of the people who bought AORUS/Gigabyte Gaming Box are suffering from either connecting it to laptops or not working after 4 months . What is the reliability of this product ? I have a Razer Stealth 2017

ReplyQuote
(@victor_lara)

Hi,
Someone with the aorus game box has tried the Host-to-Device bandwidth fix? ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl)

ReplyQuote
moonbuilt
(@moonbuilt)

Posted by: Victor Lara

Hi,
Someone with the aorus game box has tried the Host-to-Device bandwidth fix? ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl)

I did a while ago. It worked as advertised.

ReplyQuote
Ultrasaurus
(@ultrasaurus)

Hello, everyone.

I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro. I want to purchase Gigabyte's Gaming Box (GTX 1070) to use with my MacBook, which will run Win10 in bootcamp.

Do I need an external monitor or can I just use my MacBook's screen?

Thank you very much for your help.

ReplyQuote
 of  7