Share:

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier  

RSS

StanislavM
(@stanislavm)
December 5, 2017 5:48 pm  
Posted by: dream3

Man this is still a huge mess. I was having issues with that but I was able to find a fix to disable iGPU to force Adobe apps to see the eGPU. That worked. However now with latest MacOS HS update the whole eGPU setup is broken and nothing works anymore.

Like I know, in Premiere Pro and Davinci you can choose wich card to use in apps! dream3 thats does not work?

Macbook PRO 15' 2017 i7 3.1 / RP 560 + Aourus Gaming Box / Mac OS only

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
December 5, 2017 7:24 pm  
Posted by: StanislavM

Man this is still a huge mess. I was having issues with that but I was able to find a fix to disable iGPU to force Adobe apps to see the eGPU. That worked. However now with latest MacOS HS update the whole eGPU setup is broken and nothing works anymore.

Like I know, in Premiere Pro and Davinci you can choose wich card to use in apps! dream3 thats does not work?

Please tell me how to do that in Premiere Pro.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)
December 5, 2017 8:22 pm  

dream3 Now I use Discrete RP 560 and integrated Iris Pro, and you'll see in my screen shots only 3 options, but if you'll use eGPU with nVidia you'll find CUDA options.

Screen Shot 131937472 > Screen Shot 131937489

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
December 5, 2017 9:02 pm  

dream3 Now I use Discrete RP 560 and integrated Iris Pro, and you'll see in my screen shots only 3 options, but if you'll use eGPU with nVidia you'll find CUDA options.

Yes you are correct. Premiere Pro does show a CUDA option there. I guess it's properly coded then to recognize the eGPU.

It's a shame that Photoshop isn't 🙁

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 5, 2017 9:21 pm  

@StanislavM, I remember now when there's no active data transmission System Information » Thunderbolt may show 20 Gbps instead of 40Gbps. For the eGPU enclosure firmware update, please follow this procedure in Windows Boot Camp.

If you primarily use macOS, Radeon cards have better compatibility. I'd say wait for RX Vega Nano if you can.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

dream3 liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
December 5, 2017 9:36 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@StanislavM, I remember now when there's no active data transmission System Information » Thunderbolt may show 20 Gbps instead of 40Gbps. For the eGPU enclosure firmware update, please follow this procedure in Windows Boot Camp.

If you primarily use macOS, Radeon cards have better compatibility. I'd say wait for RX Vega Nano if you can.

Do we have a release date for that one? Might be worth for replacing the 1080 and be issue free forever 🙂

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)
December 5, 2017 9:45 pm  

Yes you are correct. Premiere Pro does show a CUDA option there. I guess it's properly coded then to recognize the eGPU.

It's a shame that Photoshop isn't 🙁

dream3 I'm not sure about eGPU reasons. But many users use that with old Mac Pro towers and also me too. theitsage how do you think or know or maybe you can check, what will happens if use eGPU AMD Video Card(OpenCL) with MacBooks(discrete AMD video). Will appears two OpenCL options in Premiere Pro 131937489? Or that trick works only with nVidia CUDA? And if we will see only one OpenCL option(AMD eGPU + MacBook Pro discrete) which card will work, discrete or eGPU? 

And one more thing, about Photoshop. Try launch Ps app in desktop which computing via eGPU but set them before like main(primary) display in Mac OS System Prefs>Displays. Screen Shot 132052008 and check the video card.

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)
December 5, 2017 9:57 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

Thank you  theitsage ! I'll use that manual tomorrow. I read about RX Vega Nano and I want it. But I don't know and afraid a little, what will happened with apps, when I'll use eGPU AMD(OpenCL) video card + my MacBook Pro with discrete AMD (OpenCL) video card. How will Mac OS choose which one for rendering and computing. With nVidia all clear, I need choose CUDA in apps.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member
December 6, 2017 3:04 am  

Maybe a stupid question but will the Nano Vega fit in the AORUS enclosure?

2018 13" Macbook Air
Late 2012 Mac Mini - MacOS + Win10
Asus XG Station Pro (Vega 64 295TDP)

ReplyQuote
MagicPi
(@magicpi)
Eminent Member
December 6, 2017 12:05 pm  

I have a problem
...not to big deal.... but....
my Macbook pro 2016 15" with gaming box 1080
Now works under both macos and bootcamp win10
but under bootcamp win10
my windows just recognize the 1080 card and the usb ports...
doesn't recognize the eGPU box itself..
so the Gigabyte Graphics Engine software can do nothing
it doesn't show the box in it, only the card, and the config slider and can't really control them,
and because not detecting the box it self, I can't configure OC and LED as well

though the performance is quite ok now...

2016 Macbook pro 15" Pro460 10.12.6 / Razer Blade 15" 144hz GTX1060
Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box / ASUS ROG PG279Q 165hz / iphone Xs Max / iPad Pro 9.7

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member
December 8, 2017 3:58 pm  

Finally got around to getting this done:

I got the proper JST PH 2.0 connectors and soldered the two fans in a Y configuration. Note the polarity of the plug. Just started and checked - the fans don't move as much air but it makes a HUGE difference to the noise. In any case will do a bit of gaming over the weekend to test it out ...

The PSU fan is still whiny (seems to be an ADDA). Perhaps my holiday project is replacing the PSU fan and adding something like this to the outside case.

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member
December 8, 2017 4:03 pm  
Posted by: deathtrapz

Or just buy the connecter from e-bay for $1 and solder it to that, I'm interested to know this works out in terms of how loud the new ones are. The PowerLogic fans just whine and it are too loud

Yeah but then I wouldn't have an excuse for buying a crimping tool, magnifier station and assorted connectors 🙂

ReplyQuote
crayonshin
(@crayonshin)
December 8, 2017 11:44 pm  

Great work @harshw! Too bad the PSU fan is still noisy. I wish it was like the Season 1U PSUs that don't spin the fan unless it goes over 50% load. Still, that other fan you showed might take care of that problem. Do let us know if you try doing that!

By the way, is your Aorus Gaming Box a 1070 or 1080? I've seen a few posts about 1070 boxes dying randomly which has me a bit worried. Haven't heard of any problems with the 1080 but it's pretty new so we'll see about that one I guess.

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member
December 10, 2017 11:08 pm  
Posted by: crayonshin

Great work @harshw! Too bad the PSU fan is still noisy. I wish it was like the Season 1U PSUs that don't spin the fan unless it goes over 50% load. Still, that other fan you showed might take care of that problem. Do let us know if you try doing that!

By the way, is your Aorus Gaming Box a 1070 or 1080? I've seen a few posts about 1070 boxes dying randomly which has me a bit worried. Haven't heard of any problems with the 1080 but it's pretty new so we'll see about that one I guess.

The box is the AORUS 1080. And the PSU fan is an ADDA AD0412HB-C50

From ADDA US the specs are 8.8 CFM @ 7800 RPM and 36dBA ( http://www.adda.com.tw/data/file/AD4020.pdf)

I've ordered two SUNON Maglev fans:

KDE1204PKVX: 10 CFM @ 8200 RPM and 27 dBA
   KDE1204PKV1: 8.9 CFM @ 7200RPM and 25 DBA

Let's see which fan is quieter. I will definitely replace the PSU fan. And if the 20mm SUNON fan fits in the top slot, I might replace one of the 40mm x 10mm fans with it.

I used to own a Shuttle SFF that had a Delta fan in it's FlexATX PSU - That thing was LOUD - like 50dB loud. I remember replacing the Delta with a Sunon, and it was MUCH quieter and lasted for many years.

ReplyQuote
Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member
December 11, 2017 3:13 pm  

Does anybody know what the noise differences might be between a stock Aorus 1070 box and a stock Aorus 1080 box (with no fan modifications)? Is the 1070 quieter? I'm looking to buy one to game on my new Yoga 920. Thanks all.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 11, 2017 3:16 pm  
Posted by: Flyer

Does anybody know what the noise differences might be between a stock Aorus 1070 box and a stock Aorus 1080 box (with no fan modifications)? Is the 1070 quieter? I'm looking to buy one to game on my new Yoga 920. Thanks all.

The noise level is identical to my ears. I hear the PSU's tiny fan and two 40mm side fans more than the GPU most of the time.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@pliskin_leung)
December 16, 2017 4:00 am  

I want to see benchmark in MacOS especially on MacBook, not in regular windows laptop. There are a lot of windows laptop included mid-high end graphics already and it is not necessary talk without MacBook.

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member
December 17, 2017 9:06 pm  

I replaced the PSU fan with a KDE1204PKV1.

There's an incredible difference in noise level. Now the main noise comes from the GPU fan - which is perfect, because it isn't high pitched and there's no 'whine'.

Also - the Sunon has the same 8.9 CFM  airflow as does the original spec ADDA  AD0412HB-C50. To anyone attempting this - you will need to crimp a JST PH 2.0 connector to the PSU fan as well - when I purchased the Sunon fans, all of them came with Molex connectors.

ReplyQuote
chaosmage
(@chaosmage)
Eminent Member
December 18, 2017 1:24 am  
Posted by: harshw

There's an incredible difference in noise level. Now the main noise comes from the GPU fan - which is perfect, because it isn't high pitched and there's no 'whine'.

Also - the Sunon has the same 8.9 CFM  airflow as does the original spec ADDA  AD0412HB-C50. To anyone attempting this - you will need to crimp a JST PH 2.0 connector to the PSU fan as well - when I purchased the Sunon fans, all of them came with Molex connectors.

Does this break the warranty?

ReplyQuote
crayonshin
(@crayonshin)
December 18, 2017 2:54 am  

My goal was going to be to quiet the box down to the point where only the GPU fan is noticeable so I'm very pleased to know it's possible. Thanks again for all your pioneering experiments!

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member
December 18, 2017 7:47 pm  
Posted by: chaosmage

Does this break the warranty?

TL;DR - I don't know - probably not.

The PSU replacement fan is the same CFM as the original. And the two fans I have replaced in the box do have lower CFMs but I intend to replace the top one with another Sunon 40x20mm that does 9CFM - so it's tough for Gigabyte to claim that the fans caused problems since the CFMs were equivalent. But you never know with Gigabyte ...

ReplyQuote
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member
December 20, 2017 8:24 pm  

Crimping is ouch. Would an adapter like https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplane-accessories/all-airframe-parts/jst-ph-to-jst-xh-charge-adapter:-200-qx-blh7713 this work?

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
December 23, 2017 2:56 am  

Ive used the Sunon as well and have to say not really satisfied with the results. At least for me cause Im comparing it to a Noctua. The Sunon has a weird little grindy noise, it is not as smooth as Id like. 

But again, it was the only one that ive found with fairly high CFM and low dbA

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member
December 23, 2017 8:44 am  

Following harshw's footsteps I've also replaced my Aorus gaming box 1080's two loud power logic fans (PLA04010S12H-1) with the two 12v Noctuas (NF-A4x10 FLX).

12v Noctua link for clarity (since theres a 5v version out there that may cause confusion):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/

I used JST-PH cables and soldered one of them to the two fans in a Y configuration.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B66P5C/

The color coding of these cables I link is reversed from the color coding of the noctua's fans (e.g. red needs to go to black) given the orientation the connector needs to match the polarity of the power logic fans.

I may try to replace the power supply fans too but its already so much better that its diminished returns after this.

Also the power supply cable connection was really locked in there, have fun disconnecting and later reconnecting that thing.

And you may not want to have large adapter cables laying around in that box, I'd recommend only exactly the amount of cable needed, maximize that airflow.

ReplyQuote
dhiggs
(@dhiggs)
January 15, 2018 11:40 pm  

"the best Thunderbolt 3 eGPU host is one with a quad-core processor, integrated graphics only, and direct x4 PCIe lanes over Thunderbolt 3 connection to the CPU. There’s no such machine on the market that I’m aware of."

My Razer Blade Stealth has all these things.

I was thinking of getting rid of my desktop and getting Razer Core v2 and either a 1070 or 1080, but now that I have seen the price of the Aorus Gaming Boxes I'm a bit torn! Core v2 has to be better for upgradeability, right?

ReplyQuote
Meowfei
(@meowfei)
January 25, 2018 6:19 pm  
Posted by: dhiggs

I was thinking of getting rid of my desktop and getting Razer Core v2 and either a 1070 or 1080, but now that I have seen the price of the Aorus Gaming Boxes I'm a bit torn! Core v2 has to be better for upgradeability, right?

Yeah, strictly speaking a full sized TB3 enclosure (like Razer Core v2) would have better upgradeability than the AORUS Gaming Box because the AORUS Gaming Box can only accept half-length cards (and even then, it's a tight fit!). They basically custom made a 1080 half-length just for this enclosure, so there's no guarantee you'll see half-length 1180, 1280, etc. in the future... You might have to be content upgrading to half-length lower class cards in the future, like a 1170 or 1270 or whatever. But who knows if they'll even be better than a 1080 from this generation?

That said, if you already have a desktop and space is not a premium, there's very little reason to get the AORUS gaming box. I got it because I care about portability (as in, I can throw the gaming box in my backpack and hop on a plane) and I'm a miniaturization freak (I want everything I own to take the smallest amount of space possible...).

ReplyQuote
(@joao_andre_simoes)
February 2, 2018 2:14 pm  

Hi,

I am looking to buy one of these boxes to work with rendering engines like vray and octane render.

My MBP is a 2013 with nvidia 750m discrete graphics... oh dear... 

Does anyone know if it is possible to use this box with my MBP running solely on mac os? I do not have windows or intend to really.

Thanks,

Joao

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member
February 14, 2018 12:50 pm  

Here you can find an updated review of the GTX1080 box from Hardware Unboxed, they coupled it with the latest 8th gen U intel cpu's, compared to the previous 7th gen U.

In few words 4 cores 8 threads vs 2 cores 4 threads intels cpu's, showing the bump in min/max FPS performances due to the increased cpu horse power.

You can reach the video here.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
Shaun Yee
 Shaun Yee
(@Shaun Yee)
June 23, 2018 7:03 am  

I recently swapped out the Enhance PSU with an FSP flex ATX 500W unit, and just installed the Powercolor Vega Nano. I was originally very concerned about dimensions, but it fits like a glove. The FSP intake vent is about an inch little lower than the Enhance, so I had to add a shim between it and the back bracket of the Aorus chassis.

Pics and Benchmark: https://imgur.com/a/hlF72oh

ReplyQuote
drifty2345
(@drifty2345)
June 26, 2018 1:48 am  

would there be an issue using the 40mm x 40mm x 20mm depth noctua as a replacement? seems to have adequate static pressure and cfm

ReplyQuote
yeemeister
(@yeemeister)
June 27, 2018 5:13 am  

The bracket for the original fan is not standard, so you'll have to install a new heatsink bracket. The original fan works very well though, and is adjustable if you are looking to mount the GPU into a different logic board.

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
July 1, 2018 4:54 pm  

Thanks for the review. Curious if the 8th gen Blade Stealth is working regularly now with the Aorus. It seems like a mixed bag from the different forums and retailer reviews. Any insight would be great.

Razer Blade 14 7700hq UHD - Razer Core X Modified with Kracken G12 and SFF 600w PSU - Titan X Pascal

ReplyQuote
vW
 vW
(@vW)
July 20, 2018 12:13 am  

hello, im sorry im rly new with these things. Does this thing actually enhance the power of a laptop along with the dGPU or is it just using only the eGPU while gaming while the dGPU stays idle?

ReplyQuote