Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier  

of  7
  RSS

RikF
 RikF
(@rikf)

57db shouldn't be anything like a washing machine.  Those measurements are very close to the box, and any distance/obstruction is going to drop the levels quickly.  60db is usually compared to an aircon unit 100 feet from the point of listening, and every 10db lower is 1/2 the perceived volume.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
omegacyphor
(@omegacyphor)

I am going to be getting this enclosure ( Just the Enclosure) in the near future. Friend is reviewing then going to pull the card to use just for editing rig. Now i am Tech savvy but i am moving from PC world to the Mac side. I was wondering on how good the power delivery is for a 17" MBP w/Touchbar the and what is a good GPU to toss in the enclosure. I can solder and crimp and change power connectors. I know AMD RX Vega 56 was a card i was looking at. Figure i would ask here since it is going to be the same enclosure.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: itsage

@dream3, there's very little space where these two 40mm fans are mounted. The two fans are daisy-chained together and connect to the main board via one connector. It's going to be a challenge to find a third party solution to make it quieter. I personally don't mind the buzzy noise from them. Please keep us updated if you decide to tackle this project.

Ok, I see what you mean. I think I'll try to do this anyway but I just wanted to gather a bit more information before starting, since you are very familiar with the inside, if you don't mind.

1- Is the connector on the main board a 3 or 4 pin?

2- Are the 40mm fans 10mm or 20mm thick? If 10mm, do you think there would be space for 20mm thick ones or there won't be enough clearance?

I'm thinking about just using a Y split cable connected to the board and the 2 fans. Then use 2 of these  https://www.quietpc.com/nf-a4x10 if the space is limited on the Z axis or these ones https://www.quietpc.com/nf-a4x20-pwm, for even lower noise, if there's clearance. Both models are 12V and work with a lower amperage of 0.05A each compared to the stock ones (0.10A). 

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
Pwin98
(@pwin98)

Thank you for this helpful review. I'm now considering to get one. 

And I'm curious about the GTX 1080 mini inside the gaming box. Is it possible to take it out and install it on a motherboard for desktop PC ?

I mean whether the crazy 130mm cooling fan will be a problem when putting this GTX 1080 mini on a motherboard for desktop PC ?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@Pwin98, the mini-ITX GTX 1080 inside this AORUS Gaming Box works just fine inside a desktop. Make sure you provide enough clearance so that there's no damage to the fan.

Also, it's tempting to put your fingers on the spinning 130mm fan. DON'T put your fingers near it! 😀

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
papoose02
(@papoose02)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone. Just received the GTX 1080 mini from gigabyte . For those who were planning to replace the card on the Aorus box 1070 , well , it's just working fine .

After 7 screws , the card was replaced . Then a driver update , reinstall the Aorus Graphic Engine  and everything seems to be fine . The card itself is different from the one included in the Aorus Box 1080 : the fan is 90mm one like on the GV-N1070IXOC-8GD , but no sign of overheating.

On a XPS 15 9550 the difference is really noticeable for example on Wolfenstein2 the new colossus , running around 60 fps everytime when maxed out on 1080p and internal display . 

If you were hesitating about replacing the card , don't anymore and go on , it is worth it . 

Flash315 liked
ReplyQuote
dvogiatzis
(@dvogiatzis)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the great review. If I read correctly you write that:

One of the workarounds was discovered by a new eGPU.io member, yifanlu. He has created an installer package, NVIDIAEGPUSupport for ease of implementation. I followed his instructions to install this workaround and was able use AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box with my 2016 15″ MacBook Pro running 10.13 [17A405] as well as 10.13.1 [17B48]."

So does this mean this external box run properly in High Sierra and what do you mean was able to use it? Can you run for ex. Final Cut Pro X, Da Vinci Resolve, Photoshop etc?

MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2017), Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: dvogiatzis

Thanks for the great review. If I read correctly you write that:

One of the workarounds was discovered by a new eGPU.io member, yifanlu. He has created an installer package, NVIDIAEGPUSupport for ease of implementation. I followed his instructions to install this workaround and was able use AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box with my 2016 15″ MacBook Pro running 10.13 [17A405] as well as 10.13.1 [17B48]."

So does this mean this external box run properly in High Sierra and what do you mean was able to use it? Can you run for ex. Final Cut Pro X, Da Vinci Resolve, Photoshop etc?

I'm on 10.12.6 still and I have the 1080 box. Still having issues using eGPU to accelerate professional apps. There's not a very solid path, at least I haven't found it yet. I think most people in the community though use it for Windows in Bootcamp or MacOS gaming, so resources are limited.

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
dvogiatzis
(@dvogiatzis)
Eminent Member

I understand the box is more for people that want to run bootcamp and play some games but it would be very good if you could get that extra power for the apps you daily use in mac OS. The big question is: can you use it to drive an external display and switch to internal gpu when an app is not supported or you have to use the egpu if you have an external display?

MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2017), Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
natemac00
(@natemac00)
Eminent Member

Is there any test of this with the thunderbolt 2 adapter?
I’d love to purchase this for my 2014 MacBook Pro.
We use Octane rendering for 3D and currently a thunderbolt 2 box with a 980ti works great.

3D Cinema 4D/Octane Artist
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box w/ TB2to3 Adapter
2013 Mac Pro
2014 MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  7