Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier  

of  7
  RSS

OOsemka
(@oosemka)

Thanks for the excellent review. I've been using AGB GTX 1070 with great success, and I was waiting for newer version to come out. Now, it's finally out and it looks to bump the performance quite a bit so I purchased it. I wished Gigabyte would come up with GTX 1080TI version,

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

1. The connector is a mini 2-pin.
2. Those 40mm fans are 10mm thick. I think 20mm would fit but it will be tight.

I am using two Noctua 40mm (10 mm) fans. My Aorus gaming box 1070 is much more silent now. Next up is to swap that noisy psu fan.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: remiadf

1. The connector is a mini 2-pin.
2. Those 40mm fans are 10mm thick. I think 20mm would fit but it will be tight.

I am using two Noctua 40mm (10 mm) fans. My Aorus gaming box 1070 is much more silent now. Next up is to swap that noisy psu fan.

Woowww that is great news! Can you share more about the specs of the fan and how you were able to connect them?

Is it this one?  https://www.quietpc.com/nf-a4x10  

By looking at it inside I couldnt find a way to hook 2 fans into that single mini 2-pin header.

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
remiadf
(@remiadf)

Yes, that’s the one. Noctua fans are not the best to use though. You can’t solder of (remove) wires. This fan do come with 3 wires so I just cut the yellow one which only control fan speed. Then I cut the red and black wires close to the connector. Then I stripped the red and black wires and used a terminal crimping plier to merge the red and black cables from both fans into two pins. I also isolated the yellow cable and put sleeves on the wires.

Hope that make sense. 🙂

Btw you can just cut the wires from the old fans and solder the new fans to the those wires, but then I guess there will be some warranty issues.

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: remiadf

Yes, that’s the one. Noctua fans are not the best to use though. You can’t solder of (remove) wires. This fan do come with 3 wires so I just cut the yellow one which only control fan speed. Then I cut the red and black wires close to the connector. Then I stripped the red and black wires and used a terminal crimping plier to merge the red and black cables from both fans into two pins. I also isolated the yellow cable and put sleeves on the wires.

Hope that make sense. 🙂

Btw you can just cut the wires from the old fans and solder the new fans to the those wires, but then I guess there will be some warranty issues.

Wait so once you merged both red and black wires from both fans, how did you connect them to the board? Did you buy a replacement connector?

I was thinking that you had found a way to connect the red and black from the fans directly to the connector's wires.

Also, which fan would you recommend since the noctua is not that great?

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

The two 40mm fans drive me nuts with the buzzing ...  would something like this work: Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm 2 pin ?

Does anyone know the CFM for the  original fans?

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)

That is interesting indeed!!! If you have any more tests on core Temps and bench? For that set up? 

ReplyQuote
Flash315
(@flash315)

There is a member that just installed a Gigabyte 1080 mini ITX into the 1070 BOX successfully he said there was no overheating issues as of yet

itsage and Junstar liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: harshw

The two 40mm fans drive me nuts with the buzzing ...  would something like this work: Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm 2 pin ?

Does anyone know the CFM for the  original fans?

I tried emailing the company that makes the original fans but got no reply unfortunately. Please let us know if you find out.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

I've ordered two of the Scythe 40mm x 10mm fans. Will replace the PowerLogic ones and post the results here. I considered replacing them with one 20mm and one 10mm fan, but it isnt worth it as the 20mm fan supposedly does 4.8 CFM v/s 4.11 CFM for the 10mm.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  7