Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier  

of  7
  RSS

deathtrapz
(@deathtrapz)
Eminent Member

Or just buy the connecter from e-bay for $1 and solder it to that, I'm interested to know this works out in terms of how loud the new ones are. The PowerLogic fans just whine and it are too loud

2017 MBP 15" - Aorus Gaming Box 1070 - 2012 iMac 21.5"

ReplyQuote
Zeno of Elea
(@zeno-of-elea)

Can you tell me what voltage these fans run at? 12V or 5V? Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
deathtrapz
(@deathtrapz)
Eminent Member

I just tested this out for you, the voltage is regulated on the board so it was a little difficult to tell but I tested the two pins when the output is at 100% and the voltage is 12v. These fans are also paired in parallel so the voltage stays the same.

I'm thinking of soldering 2 resistors in the circuit so that I can still get the fans to run all the time but at a lower speed 
= Less noise. 

Right now my fans are just unplugged because I hate the whine.

2017 MBP 15" - Aorus Gaming Box 1070 - 2012 iMac 21.5"

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Posted by: dream3 

I'm on 10.12.6 still and I have the 1080 box. Still having issues using eGPU to accelerate professional apps. There's not a very solid path, at least I haven't found it yet. I think most people in the community though use it for Windows in Bootcamp or MacOS gaming, so resources are limited.

Hello dream3, what kind issues you have? And when you say "professional apps", what kind apps? Maybe you try Premiere Pro or Davinci, do you have some problems with this apps?

Macbook PRO 15' 2017 i7 3.1 / RP 560 + Aourus Gaming Box / Mac OS only

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Posted by: StanislavM

Hello dream3, what kind issues you have? And when you say "professional apps", what kind apps? Maybe you try Premiere Pro or Davinci, do you have some problems with this apps?

Man this is still a huge mess. I was having issues with that but I was able to find a fix to disable iGPU to force Adobe apps to see the eGPU. That worked. However now with latest MacOS HS update the whole eGPU setup is broken and nothing works anymore.

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Posted by: itsage

Unlike the AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box at launch, the Thunderbolt firmware of this AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box does not suffer from H2D issue. 

Hello, itsage ! I have AOURUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box, I buy it empty. I interested, how to fix H2D issue ? That my Screen Shot from System Report 131636718 

What I need to do with firmware and how it to update? I use MacBook Pro 2017 15' i7 3.1 / RP 560 / Mac OS 10.13.1

Thank you! 

PS

And maybe you can tell which card is best to install in my empty AOURUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box?

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

Man this is still a huge mess. I was having issues with that but I was able to find a fix to disable iGPU to force Adobe apps to see the eGPU. That worked. However now with latest MacOS HS update the whole eGPU setup is broken and nothing works anymore.

Like I know, in Premiere Pro and Davinci you can choose wich card to use in apps! dream3 thats does not work?

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Like I know, in Premiere Pro and Davinci you can choose wich card to use in apps! dream3 thats does not work?

Please tell me how to do that in Premiere Pro.

ReplyQuote
StanislavM
(@stanislavm)

dream3 Now I use Discrete RP 560 and integrated Iris Pro, and you'll see in my screen shots only 3 options, but if you'll use eGPU with nVidia you'll find CUDA options.

Screen Shot 131937472 > Screen Shot 131937489

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

dream3 Now I use Discrete RP 560 and integrated Iris Pro, and you'll see in my screen shots only 3 options, but if you'll use eGPU with nVidia you'll find CUDA options.

Screen Shot 131937472 > Screen Shot 131937489

Yes you are correct. Premiere Pro does show a CUDA option there. I guess it's properly coded then to recognize the eGPU.

It's a shame that Photoshop isn't 🙁

ReplyQuote
 of  7