Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier  

of  7
  RSS

Flyer
(@flyer)
Eminent Member

Does anybody know what the noise differences might be between a stock Aorus 1070 box and a stock Aorus 1080 box (with no fan modifications)? Is the 1070 quieter? I'm looking to buy one to game on my new Yoga 920. Thanks all.

2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Flyer

Does anybody know what the noise differences might be between a stock Aorus 1070 box and a stock Aorus 1080 box (with no fan modifications)? Is the 1070 quieter? I'm looking to buy one to game on my new Yoga 920. Thanks all.

The noise level is identical to my ears. I hear the PSU's tiny fan and two 40mm side fans more than the GPU most of the time.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@pliskin_leung)

I want to see benchmark in MacOS especially on MacBook, not in regular windows laptop. There are a lot of windows laptop included mid-high end graphics already and it is not necessary talk without MacBook.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

I replaced the PSU fan with a KDE1204PKV1.

There's an incredible difference in noise level. Now the main noise comes from the GPU fan - which is perfect, because it isn't high pitched and there's no 'whine'.

Also - the Sunon has the same 8.9 CFM  airflow as does the original spec ADDA  AD0412HB-C50. To anyone attempting this - you will need to crimp a JST PH 2.0 connector to the PSU fan as well - when I purchased the Sunon fans, all of them came with Molex connectors.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
chaosmage
(@chaosmage)
Eminent Member

Posted by: harshw

There's an incredible difference in noise level. Now the main noise comes from the GPU fan - which is perfect, because it isn't high pitched and there's no 'whine'.

Also - the Sunon has the same 8.9 CFM  airflow as does the original spec ADDA  AD0412HB-C50. To anyone attempting this - you will need to crimp a JST PH 2.0 connector to the PSU fan as well - when I purchased the Sunon fans, all of them came with Molex connectors.

Does this break the warranty?

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
crayonshin
(@crayonshin)

My goal was going to be to quiet the box down to the point where only the GPU fan is noticeable so I'm very pleased to know it's possible. Thanks again for all your pioneering experiments!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
harshw
(@harshw)
Eminent Member

Posted by: chaosmage

Does this break the warranty?

TL;DR - I don't know - probably not.

The PSU replacement fan is the same CFM as the original. And the two fans I have replaced in the box do have lower CFMs but I intend to replace the top one with another Sunon 40x20mm that does 9CFM - so it's tough for Gigabyte to claim that the fans caused problems since the CFMs were equivalent. But you never know with Gigabyte ...

ReplyQuote
chx
 chx
(@chx)
Estimable Member

Crimping is ouch. Would an adapter like https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/airplanes/airplane-accessories/all-airframe-parts/jst-ph-to-jst-xh-charge-adapter:-200-qx-blh7713 this work?

Lenovo ThinkPad 25 -- GALAX SNPR TB3 1060 -- Lenovo Graphics Dock -- Benq BL2411PT - - two PackedPixels - Dasung not-eReader backer

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member

Ive used the Sunon as well and have to say not really satisfied with the results. At least for me cause Im comparing it to a Noctua. The Sunon has a weird little grindy noise, it is not as smooth as Id like. 

But again, it was the only one that ive found with fairly high CFM and low dbA

MacOS: 15" Retina Macbook Pro 2015 Iris Pro only
Windows 10: Tornado F5 laptop with discrete GTX 1060
eGPU: GIGABYTE RX 580

ReplyQuote
mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member

Following harshw's footsteps I've also replaced my Aorus gaming box 1080's two loud power logic fans (PLA04010S12H-1) with the two 12v Noctuas (NF-A4x10 FLX).

12v Noctua link for clarity (since theres a 5v version out there that may cause confusion):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/

I used JST-PH cables and soldered one of them to the two fans in a Y configuration.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B66P5C/

The color coding of these cables I link is reversed from the color coding of the noctua's fans (e.g. red needs to go to black) given the orientation the connector needs to match the polarity of the power logic fans.

I may try to replace the power supply fans too but its already so much better that its diminished returns after this.

Also the power supply cable connection was really locked in there, have fun disconnecting and later reconnecting that thing.

And you may not want to have large adapter cables laying around in that box, I'd recommend only exactly the amount of cable needed, maximize that airflow.

2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 (Q M1200) [7th,4C,H] + RX 570 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  7