Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box Review – Tiny and Mightier  

of  7
  RSS

mbp8k
(@mbp8k)
Eminent Member

Following harshw's footsteps I've also replaced my Aorus gaming box 1080's two loud power logic fans (PLA04010S12H-1) with the two 12v Noctuas (NF-A4x10 FLX).

12v Noctua link for clarity (since theres a 5v version out there that may cause confusion):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/

I used JST-PH cables and soldered one of them to the two fans in a Y configuration.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B66P5C/

The color coding of these cables I link is reversed from the color coding of the noctua's fans (e.g. red needs to go to black) given the orientation the connector needs to match the polarity of the power logic fans.

I may try to replace the power supply fans too but its already so much better that its diminished returns after this.

Also the power supply cable connection was really locked in there, have fun disconnecting and later reconnecting that thing.

And you may not want to have large adapter cables laying around in that box, I'd recommend only exactly the amount of cable needed, maximize that airflow.

2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 (Q M1200) [7th,4C,H] + RX 570 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dhiggs
(@dhiggs)

"the best Thunderbolt 3 eGPU host is one with a quad-core processor, integrated graphics only, and direct x4 PCIe lanes over Thunderbolt 3 connection to the CPU. There’s no such machine on the market that I’m aware of."

My Razer Blade Stealth has all these things.

I was thinking of getting rid of my desktop and getting Razer Core v2 and either a 1070 or 1080, but now that I have seen the price of the Aorus Gaming Boxes I'm a bit torn! Core v2 has to be better for upgradeability, right?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Meowfei
(@meowfei)

Posted by: dhiggs

I was thinking of getting rid of my desktop and getting Razer Core v2 and either a 1070 or 1080, but now that I have seen the price of the Aorus Gaming Boxes I'm a bit torn! Core v2 has to be better for upgradeability, right?

Yeah, strictly speaking a full sized TB3 enclosure (like Razer Core v2) would have better upgradeability than the AORUS Gaming Box because the AORUS Gaming Box can only accept half-length cards (and even then, it's a tight fit!). They basically custom made a 1080 half-length just for this enclosure, so there's no guarantee you'll see half-length 1180, 1280, etc. in the future... You might have to be content upgrading to half-length lower class cards in the future, like a 1170 or 1270 or whatever. But who knows if they'll even be better than a 1080 from this generation?

That said, if you already have a desktop and space is not a premium, there's very little reason to get the AORUS gaming box. I got it because I care about portability (as in, I can throw the gaming box in my backpack and hop on a plane) and I'm a miniaturization freak (I want everything I own to take the smallest amount of space possible...).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
João André Simões
(@joao_andre_simoes)

Hi,

I am looking to buy one of these boxes to work with rendering engines like vray and octane render.

My MBP is a 2013 with nvidia 750m discrete graphics... oh dear... 

Does anyone know if it is possible to use this box with my MBP running solely on mac os? I do not have windows or intend to really.

Thanks,

Joao

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Here you can find an updated review of the GTX1080 box from Hardware Unboxed, they coupled it with the latest 8th gen U intel cpu's, compared to the previous 7th gen U.

In few words 4 cores 8 threads vs 2 cores 4 threads intels cpu's, showing the bump in min/max FPS performances due to the increased cpu horse power.

You can reach the video

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Shaun Yee
 Shaun Yee
(@Shaun Yee)

I recently swapped out the Enhance PSU with an FSP flex ATX 500W unit, and just installed the Powercolor Vega Nano. I was originally very concerned about dimensions, but it fits like a glove. The FSP intake vent is about an inch little lower than the Enhance, so I had to add a shim between it and the back bracket of the Aorus chassis.

Pics and Benchmark: https://imgur.com/a/hlF72oh

ReplyQuote
drifty2345
(@drifty2345)

would there be an issue using the 40mm x 40mm x 20mm depth noctua as a replacement? seems to have adequate static pressure and cfm

ReplyQuote
yeemeister
(@yeemeister)

The bracket for the original fan is not standard, so you'll have to install a new heatsink bracket. The original fan works very well though, and is adjustable if you are looking to mount the GPU into a different logic board.

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the review. Curious if the 8th gen Blade Stealth is working regularly now with the Aorus. It seems like a mixed bag from the different forums and retailer reviews. Any insight would be great.

MacBook Pro 15 2.7mhz with 560x - Razer Core X (850 watt psu) with 2080 ti.

2017 14" Razer Blade (GTX1060) [7th,4C,H] + Titan Xp @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
vW
 vW
(@vW)

hello, im sorry im rly new with these things. Does this thing actually enhance the power of a laptop along with the dGPU or is it just using only the eGPU while gaming while the dGPU stays idle?

ReplyQuote
 of  7