Gigabyte releases AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming box  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member
February 10, 2019 8:49 am  
Posted by: tin-naga

I'll be interested in testing the performance of this if switched from C (with 3.0 support) to a daisychained 3.

What is a "C (with 3.0 support)"?
What is a "daisy chained 3"?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tin-naga
(@tin-naga)
February 10, 2019 9:06 am  

I meant a USB 3.1 (type A or C) m.2 drive enclosure attached to a 3.0 port of the gaming box or the USB C virtual link on the card.

XPS 15 9575, i7-8705G, 16 GB, 1TB NVMe
LTB: Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Reputable Member
February 10, 2019 1:50 pm  
Posted by: tin-naga

I meant a USB 3.1 (type A or C) m.2 drive enclosure attached to a 3.0 port of the gaming box or the USB C virtual link on the card.

The 3.0 port should give up to 430 MB/s.
An Asmedia ASM1142 USB 3.1 gen 2 controller (PCIe 2.0 x2 or PCIe 3.0 x1) would give up to 765 MB/s.
I guess The USB-C of the video card should give around 912 MB/s, like the USB-C ports of a Thunderbolt 3 controller (PCIe 3.0 x2 or greater).
But those assume your M.2 device is NVMe. An M.2 AHCI/SATA device would be limited to 540 MB/s.

Of course different OS's and hardware and benchmarks will give different results. Devices further down a chain will be slightly slower.

I think we're still missing information about the USB controller of the RTX cards unless it was posted to a different thread?
https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-usb-c-port/
In the screenshot, it appears the USB controller is a PCIe function of the Nvidia card (it's not a separate PCIe device under its own PCIe bridge). All functions of a device share the same PCIe link speed and width. Therefore, the PCIe link speed and width of the RTX USB controller will be PCIe 3.0 x16 in a normal graphics slot or PCIe 3.0 x4 in a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU. 
https://github.com/learex/macOS-eGPU/issues/50
I haven't seen benchmarks that show the performance of the RTX USB controller.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
chodthewacko
(@chodthewacko)
February 13, 2019 5:13 pm  

Side note to all, you can purchase it on Amazon now.

It's in stock 2/17, for $649.99 - same as the preorder thread.  (which isn't a group buy)
If you order through the preorder thread you don't pay sales tax unless you are in CA, and there are 'surprise gifts' whatever those are.
(We'll find out - I ordered one through the preorder).

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
Shere
(@shere)
February 20, 2019 5:07 pm  

Do you know if there is going to be a 2080 version? Seems much better choice than getting Razer core + 2080 card and risking the compatibility and with 2080 it looks future proof enough. I was just gonna buy Core and Card today when I found this gem, but 2070 still seems weak for 1440p for upcoming 2-3 years, while 2080 looks quite alright. Maybe just my feeling that could be wrong, but would prefer it. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2