Gigabyte RX 580 GAMING BOX failed adventures

Notifications

Gigabyte RX 580 GAMING BOX failed adventures  

RSS

shotbygl514
(@shotbygl514)

I have a MBP 15" 2018 mac OS Mojave.

Bootcamp - no issue (so far).

I picked up the RX 580 Gaming box from Amazon.ca and when I plugged it in, identified as RX 560 instead. I'm away for xmas for 4 days but I already started the return process with Amazon to get a full refund. Now in the mean time RX560 may not be the best but at least i should be able to enjoy R6 on medium, some LoL on high, Borderland, etc.

Issues encountered:

• No LED light
  • Fan not turning
  • PD does charge but only if I dont use the eGPU - if i do, it slow drains it out despite stating its charging

I started with my crusade as per other threads:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/how-to-check-firmware-version-gigabyte-gaming-box-rx-580/

https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/how-to-know-which-bios-my-aorus-rx580-gaming-box-have/

to update (or roll back) the FW as 1.3 is botched (could be the cause of the above)

New issues:

• running GPUZ shows me that there is no bios on the video card
  • running any given Thunderbolt 3 controller update tells me there are no thunderbolt. Considering that i have a 2018 MBP it was suggested that I would use Titan Ridge - the drivers installs however the Software and Control Center does not want to launch or install because it states there are no Thunderbolt(TM) available - however I see in the Device Manager 

I've tried the official software and drivers from Gigabyte also - no available (states that I do not have such thunderbolt)

I've tried uninstall - delete driver, restart from legacy + v17 - no avail.

Now im here. (i still got 4 more days before I'm back to a "normal" pc), but would like this to work out - any suggestions would be appreciated

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@shotbygl514 This Gaming Box is either altered or malfunctioning. Not worth putting in more time or effort imo. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote