Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box Review - Little in the Middle

Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box Review - Little in the Middle  

of  19
  RSS

Logan Clark
(@logan_clark)

I purchase the RX580 Gaming Box and it worked great at first, but recently I've been having lots of trouble with it. Whenever my MacBook Pro goes to sleep and I wake it back up. The 4K monitor my gpu is connected to doesn't wake back up, my MBP screen freezes, and the fans go full blast. I have to disconnect the GPU, force restart my Macbook and start over. Secondly, whenever I am doing a graphics heavy task and the RX580 is being heavily utilized, I get a bunch of crazy colored pixels that appear for about 15 seconds, and then my whole system crashes. I've returned the Unit to Gigabyte and they sent me a new one (I checked to make sure it really is a new unit), it does the same thing. I'm so frustrated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

That sounds more like macOS or driver issues rather than the RX 580 Gaming Box. Also check the display cable, Thunderbolt 3 cable, and try with different ports.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Delta6alpha
(@delta6alpha)

I'm sorry if I'm just not seeing it. Is there a list of GPUs that works in the GIGABYTE gaming box? My 580 seems to have died (tried several hard resets to no avail. No lights on the chassis, and it won't charge MBP or be recognized by Windows in any way,  but the chassis will still charge headphones over USB. SO maybe the MoBo is dead?). But if I can, because of all the headaches it has given me, I'd love to switch to a Nvidia card. So what would work in it? Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @delta6alpha

I'm sorry if I'm just not seeing it. Is there a list of GPUs that works in the GIGABYTE gaming box?

See https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/aorus-gaming-box-what-gpus-do-work-and-which-ones-do-not/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Delta6alpha
(@delta6alpha)

@nando4, Sorry for not making my question clear. Does this apply to GIGABYTE boxes too? They're the same thing? So I can just swap in one of those NVIDIA cards and go off? Also, since the Box won't charge my MBP or show up in windows could the box be dead?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@delta6alpha, All 1st generation Gaming Boxes (ITX sized card) are the same. Your issue symptoms point to the mainboard rather than the RX 580 graphics card. I would recommend contacting Gigabyte Support for help. If out of warranty, you can take it apart and check all connection to make sure all is well before going further.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alone1i
(@alone1i)

Hey guys, Does anybody knows RX 580 gaming box is out of market? Or when replacement device will be released? I have checked all retailers and none of them have it stock. Any input in this scenario?

ReplyQuote
 of  19