Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box Review - Little in the Middle  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

Wesley
(@wesley)
June 9, 2018 6:17 am  
Posted by: theitsage

I spotted a new software utility on Gigabyte RX 580 Support website tonight. Ironically, it works much better in macOS compared to Windows for adjusting the RGB.

Nice, it's finally here. Just need PSU firmware for Mac and hopefully it can also fix the two mini fans from spinning up to max sometimes when entering sleep mode.

Late 2011 15" MBP - Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box - 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member
June 9, 2018 2:13 pm  

Did you update it directly on macOS? 

By the way, I have sold my Sonnet setup to buy this but I live in Italy. Here in Europe, finding this product is still an issue. Today, I saw it on Amazon US costs less with all the taxes and shipping included. Also, there is $50 rebate on Amazon.com, however I don’t know if I can claim it since I’m going to order from Italy.
Anybody knows anything about this?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 9, 2018 2:30 pm  

@ondert Yes, it's working great in macOS. I can turn the RGB completely off too. It works with the AORUS GTX 1070/1080 Gaming Box too.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
iamwagz
(@iamwagz)
June 12, 2018 10:31 am  

Hey theitsage, I bought this unit. Everywhere I look, everyone seems to get 40Gbs in the system report window, as well as 100W charging. Mine says 20Gbs and 60W.

I'm running it on a  13" MacBook Pro (w/ touch bar - 2017) and after running a Heaven test, I'm getting 14FPS. Other's results, including yours, are 30FPS+. 

Any help?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 12, 2018 12:50 pm  

@iamwagz Which Thunderbolt 3 port are you connecting the eGPU to? Are you using the included .5m TB3 cable?

ReplyQuote
iamwagz
(@iamwagz)
June 12, 2018 1:10 pm  

Thanks for your reply. 

Using left hand side port on MacBook as per apple recommendation. Using included gigabyte TB3 cable.

It had a bit of a spat before while I was doing some boot camp stuff and wouldn’t turn on for me (would charge but no RGB lights or GPU). Left it unplugged for 30 mins and it’s back on again.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 12, 2018 1:27 pm  

Left TB3 port connection is good. Is the 20 Gb/s number something you saw in System Information » Thunderbolt tree? How are you connecting the external monitor?

ReplyQuote
iamwagz
(@iamwagz)
June 12, 2018 1:47 pm  

Yeah that's it. I'll attach the screens of the System information.

Connecting external monitor via DisplayPort.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 12, 2018 1:53 pm  

Thank you for posting those screen caps. Which LG display are you using? That's some crazy output resolution! Do you have anything else connected to your MacBook Pro concurrently?

ReplyQuote
iamwagz
(@iamwagz)
June 12, 2018 1:59 pm  

It's an LG 4K display 27UD69-W. I believe it's running HiDPI. I did have an app that was doing this, but I exited it as I thought it might've been causing an issue.

I've tried connecting nothing to the MBP and nothing to the USB ports on the back of the Gaming Box (I have a Logitech Unified receiver in there usually), no luck. I've noticed some lag with the mouse too. 

Really disappointed by this. I was hoping for much better performance.

ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member
June 12, 2018 2:20 pm  

I have pretty much the same setup as you (2017 13" MBP Touchbar) and am using the Gaming Box RX580 with an LG 27UD59-B 27". Same firmware, etc. But I am getting "Up to 40 Gb/s x1" on the Thunderbolt Device Tree (connected to the left side port nearest the Tab key). I also have a TB3 Hub attached to the other left side port. I am getting 100W on the Power Delivery via the Gaming Box. I did switch to a slightly longer Thunderbolt 3 cable from Apple (.8m vs .5m).

My LG Ultra HD display is reporting "Resolution: 6016 x 3384" and "UI Looks like: 3008 x 1692 @ 60 Hz". I believe that is due to resolution scaling settings in the Display System Pref.

With regards to this:
"It had a bit of a spat before while I was doing some boot camp stuff and wouldn’t turn on for me (would charge but no RGB lights or GPU). Left it unplugged for 30 mins and it’s back on again."

I get this problem regularly, especially if my Boot Camp Windows install goes to Sleep or Hibernates. I hear the power supply fans spinning and receive power to my MBP, but no GPU activity and no signal to the LG display. I have to pull the power cord and Thunderbolt cable from the Gaming Box for about 2 minutes, then replug and reboot. Annoying.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
June 12, 2018 4:15 pm  

@iamwagz Try resetting SMC and NVRAM. Also, fiddle with AMD FreeSync on/off on your monitor (and consider resetting to factory settings). Try without any third-party apps changing HiDPI or other display settings. Also test eGPU hot-plug vs. plugged in before boot. Also, what does About This Mac > Displays show?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
June 12, 2018 6:35 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

I spotted a new software utility on Gigabyte RX 580 Support website tonight. Ironically, it works much better in macOS compared to Windows for adjusting the RGB.

Awesome! I can finally turn the LEDs off in macOS on my Thunderbolt 1 machine. Can confirm this works. The Windows version of this app does not work at all, but the LEDs are already off in Windows.

But, I can't see any fan controls in this app.

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
iamwagz
(@iamwagz)
June 13, 2018 7:46 am  
Posted by: mac_editor

@iamwagz Try resetting SMC and NVRAM. Also, fiddle with AMD FreeSync on/off on your monitor (and consider resetting to factory settings). Try without any third-party apps changing HiDPI or other display settings. Also test eGPU hot-plug vs. plugged in before boot. Also, what does About This Mac > Displays show?

Thanks for suggesting this, it was going to be my next step and you reminded me. 

I've now, reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM and reset all monitor settings, quit all programs controlling resolution and tried hot vs boot plug. Still reporting the same problem. 

Here's my About This Mac > Displays info:

Screen4
Screen5

Posted by: mar_kelp

I have pretty much the same setup as you (2017 13" MBP Touchbar) and am using the Gaming Box RX580 with an LG 27UD59-B 27". Same firmware, etc. But I am getting "Up to 40 Gb/s x1" on the Thunderbolt Device Tree (connected to the left side port nearest the Tab key). I also have a TB3 Hub attached to the other left side port. I am getting 100W on the Power Delivery via the Gaming Box. I did switch to a slightly longer Thunderbolt 3 cable from Apple (.8m vs .5m).

My LG Ultra HD display is reporting "Resolution: 6016 x 3384" and "UI Looks like: 3008 x 1692 @ 60 Hz". I believe that is due to resolution scaling settings in the Display System Pref.

With regards to this:
"It had a bit of a spat before while I was doing some boot camp stuff and wouldn’t turn on for me (would charge but no RGB lights or GPU). Left it unplugged for 30 mins and it’s back on again."

I get this problem regularly, especially if my Boot Camp Windows install goes to Sleep or Hibernates. I hear the power supply fans spinning and receive power to my MBP, but no GPU activity and no signal to the LG display. I have to pull the power cord and Thunderbolt cable from the Gaming Box for about 2 minutes, then replug and reboot. Annoying.

Interesting, almost the exact setup. I am using everything as it came in the box, the only discernible difference is that I'm Australian and I bought it from Amazon, so it came with a US power plug. I thought that was the issue since I was using a converter, so I went out and bought an Aussie plug to use with it, but no difference - so it's not power related (I've also tried plugging directly into wall socket and not power board etc.).

So you had the same problem - I thought it had died! But it came back to life after a while.

I honestly don't know what to do now. I've read others using "active" TB3 cables to some success, but these cables are $110+ of my dollars and I don't feel I should need to spend the extra money... it should come with everything to work correctly. I've raised a ticket with Gigabyte but they haven't come back to me yet.

🙁

ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member
June 13, 2018 4:43 pm  

I honestly don't know what to do now. I've read others using "active" TB3 cables to some success, but these cables are $110+ of my dollars and I don't feel I should need to spend the extra money... it should come with everything to work correctly. I've raised a ticket with Gigabyte but they haven't come back to me yet.

I was actually able to get my setup into the 20Gb/s state. I was trying the different ports on my machine using the "Disconnect EGPU" menu item between attempts and refreshing the System Info each time. I tried all four and all seemed to work fine with full speed and power as expected. But when I put the cable back into the left side/closest to Tab, I got the 20Gb/s Speed (screenshot bel0w). A reboot and it came back to 40Gb/s. Power always stayed at 100W.

A couple more ideas for your 60W and 20Gb/s issues:

• Have you tried all four TB3 ports? Yes, left side next Tab is recommended. But it can't hurt to try each one and refresh System Prefs to see if there is a difference.

• Try another TB3 cable. I invested in an Apple .8m cable and they have a generous return policy if you decide you don't need it. You shouldn't need an active cable for a short connection.

• Try your Gaming Box on another TB3 Mac. If you live near one, maybe the Apple Store would let you bring it in and plug it into a machine there...

• Take advantage of Amazon's return policy and swap it out?

With regards to the Gaming Box seeming to die but revive with a power cycle, I think this is a defect in the product. It has happened to me repeatedly under both MacOS and Windows Boot Camp and I have seen other reports. Perhaps software, firmware or OS updates can improve it. In the meantime, I avoid letting my system Sleep/Hibernate.

ReplyQuote
iamwagz
(@iamwagz)
June 14, 2018 10:00 am  

Thank you so much @mar_kelp and everyone for your help. I bought an Apple 0.8M cable on your recommendation, at first I was getting the same readings but with 100W charging. After a restart with it connected to the port closest to the touch bar on the left hand side, I'm now at 40GBs and 100W. 

Certainly speaks for the quality of Apple products actually. It might be $59, but it's worth it. 

Thanks again all!

ReplyQuote
Angrypeanut
(@angrypeanut)
June 20, 2018 10:47 am  

I have been testing my RX580

So currently I use my RX580 with a thunderbolt to thunderbolt 3 adapter and TB cable with my 2012 i7 MacMini. I did a Cinebench benchmark and got 53 fps and then connected it to my 2016 MacbookPro via TB3 cable and ran the test and got 54fps.
This whole test to see if the TB1 was a bottleneck but now I can confirm that I love this enclosure as it lets me enhance my  2012 MacMini with lightroom as well as lets me play Fortnite etc. I sooooooo love this enclourse and gives my old Mac Mini a new lease of life.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member
June 30, 2018 11:50 pm  

I noticed a new utility released on the Gigabyte Gaming Box support site for firmware:

VGA Tools -- @BIOS Support ATI Radeon HD 5000-series,6000-series,7000-series, R7 200-series, R7 300 series, R9 200series, R9 300series, R9F/NANO series Models,RX400 series Models ,RX500 series Models ,RX VEGA series Models

OS: Windows XP 64bit,Windows XP 32bit,Windows 8.1 64bit,Windows 8.1 32bit,Windows 8 64bit,Windows 8 32bit,Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 10 64bit,Windows 10 32bit

When I download and run the app, the Gaming Box is not recognized, but it is running my external display and appears in the Device Manager:

Has anyone given this a try and had luck updating the firmware of the Gaming Box RX580?

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member
July 2, 2018 6:50 pm  

Thanks for this by the way and apologies for delay.  I gave up in the end and sold the eGPU as I didn't want to replace my 5k monitor.  Shame no-one does a USB-C output on video cards yet

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Estimable Member
July 3, 2018 12:15 am  
Posted by: SirLothar

Thanks for this by the way and apologies for delay.  I gave up in the end and sold the eGPU as I didn't want to replace my 5k monitor.  Shame no-one does a USB-C output on video cards yet

Like karatekid430 said, this would have worked if you used a ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC and a riser (like those used by crypto currency miners).

A GC-ALPINE RIDGE doesn't work in a one slot riser without a PCIe connection but it does work in a IT-GO ADP-099-31 two slot riser + enclosure without a PCIe connection.

Instead of a riser, you could use a PC with a spare PCIe slot, or a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box.

Using an add-in card in an unsupported PCIe slot (a supported PCIe slot is one on a motherboard with a Thunderbolt header and Thunderbolt support in BIOS), there is currently no way to use any functions of the LG UltraFine 5K display that require PCIe communication (audio, camera, USB ports and brightness control). But at least you'll get 5K resolution working.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member
July 4, 2018 1:04 pm  

That's nice. They were offering a 50$ rebate but only to US customers. I live in EU and ordering this from US now would cost me 100€ less than getting one here even with custom and shipping fees.

ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)
July 14, 2018 4:44 am  

Just got this in the mail about 15 minutes ago.

Plug n' play worked great. I started up World of Warcraft and noticed that the bottom 1/10th of the screen randomly glitches every 10sec-1min or so and shows other graphics/generally freaks out for less than a second.

I've tried to reseat the GPU, tried different cables for HDMI and USB-C (I had the Apple 40GB/s one). Any other ideas? I reached out to Gigabyte Support, but they say it'll be 3-7 days.

I confirmed I am getting "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s"

Edit: I swapped out my eGPU for a replacement and it is working fine now.

Gigabyte's support was slow and zero responsibility; they told me they would be unable to provide any support. I contacted the reseller and was able to swap it out. I was disappointed by the way that Gigabyte handled the ticket.

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member
July 20, 2018 5:01 pm  

Has anybody successfully got this RX580 Gaming Box working in Bootcamp on the new 2018 13"/15" MacBook Pros? If yes, did you need to run any additional steps to get past Error Code 12?

ReplyQuote
(@chin_daza)
September 19, 2018 11:37 am  

Hi. So I'm playing Dota 2 on Steam Mac OS with Vulkan API. I have 100+ fps for the first 30 minutes of the game then it drops to 30 fps. My CPU isn't throttling and I'm wondering if its the RX580 gaming box? Just bought it today and I'm disappointed. I did my research and I thought this box won't give me problems playing Dota since it's not that demanding of a game. Please enlighten me what I'm doing wrong. I'm using the internal monitor of my MBP 2017 13" non touchbar. TIA

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Trusted Member
September 19, 2018 4:28 pm  

How did you switch off the rgb?

3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 19, 2018 4:33 pm  

@tsakal There's an ON/OFF toggle for LED EFFECTS in the AORUS Engine software as seen here.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Trusted Member
October 6, 2018 10:18 pm  

@itsage Thank you.

First of all this box really kicks ass. The performance is phenomenal and with my top of the range mbp 13 2015 i get very similar performance (posted on the various threads around the forum) to a mbp 13 2018 with the 700$ blackmagic with similar noise levels and extra portability. I can only dream of the day that he gaming box will be upgraded to the vega 56 or 64 and use it with a 4 core mbp 13 with 32 gb of ram. 😉

In the 5th paragraph you mention "The RX 580 Gaming Box turns on when there’s communication with a Thunderbolt host computer" This i believe is the reason that the gaming box has problems waking up when connected with a tb2 like mine mbp13 2015.
After extensive research i have collected a few tricks that have been used by various users under various setups and macOS versions that have worked to wake up the gaming box.

Initially when i bought mine i could not make it work until i used it with a dell xps 13 usbc and then connected to my mbp 13 using the purge-wrangler patch. However after one week of continuous use and after i used it with a different monitor(my second display has free sync, black stabiliser and changing response time). and keeping without any cables connected overnight it would not wake up again even after trying the initial trick with the dell xps 13. Then on Friday afternoon i started to try the various tricks as described below one by one and at the end it woke up and working fine again. I would appreciate if you have any insight of what is exactly the problem with the gaming box and whether you believe that there is a way to overcome it. Could free sync or any of my LG display features affect the connection to the gaming box?

Everything seems to work normal now. Switched to my other display at home and worked normally.

When the mbp and screen go to sleep the gaming box does also fans and light go off. As soon as i wake the mbp up everything wakes up normally.

Also after ejecting the egpu last night and switching off the mbp. This morning i switched it on with the cable attached and everything started normal. Is this recommended or shall i always disconnect the box from the mbp and hot plug it when the login screen appears?

Finally the default firmware that the box ships is for max gpu performance and min h2d performance? Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Waking up Steps for reference.
I followed a few tips i read here or there, and at the end it just worked. I read from various people using one of the following tricks below but in different versions of macOS and with different setups with or without patches. I list below what i did and in what order.

1 I left the box off all cable overnight. This afternoon i connected the power first, then the display port connected to monitor and then the usbc cable with the cable matters tb2. This did not work
2 I tried the hotplugging trick connecting the the box to the mbp after restarting while on log in screen. That did not work either.
3 I tried the same trick as above but after i disabled the guest account. This didn't work
4 i swapped the cable matters cable with the apple tb2 cable and followed the hot plugging trick. This didn't work.
5 i swapped the display port cable to display port cable and did the hot plugging trick. While waiting in the login screen the box fired up and the monitor connected.

Although everything could have helped in waking up the box the use of the HDMI seemed to do the trick. @vikalive in this forum has suggested this trick back in july but i don't know his setup.

3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 8, 2018 7:35 pm  
Posted by: karatekid430

Somebody with the RX580 Gaming Box, please try to install this:  http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Firmware/RX580IXEB_VER11.zip which is a link from here:  https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX580IXEB-8GD#support-dl-driver in the firmware section (PSU update). It is not available for the 1070/1080 versions (at least yet).

I tried it on my 1070 Gaming Box (R9 Nano installed, GTX 1070 sold), and it does not connect or detect the target. I even flashed the RX580 Gaming Box NVM firmware. Afaik they are the same thing - but I don't know why the AMD one is not "Aorus" (even though it has the RGB) - sounds like the evil anti-competitive Nvidia GeForce Partner Program (Nvidia GPP) to me.

Also does anybody care to speculate how it would update PSU firmware? My guess is that it does not, and it just updates the firmware on the board to make sure it tells the PSU to shut down properly via 24-pin connector. Anyways, sometimes when the attached PC or laptop shuts down, the fans on the Gaming Box do go to 100% and it is loud. I have to unplug the computer, which is annoying if it is a laptop that still needs charging. I contacted Gigabyte customer support and they wanted a video of it and asked for GPU-Z log when it occurs. I told them to actually read what I wrote - I said it was when the computer is shut down, and hence it is difficult to use GPU-Z.

Thanks for any information!

I was having issues with keeping my laptop (MacBook Pro 2018 13") sleeping while connected to the Gaming Box RX 580, which sounds similar to what you were experiencing. I updated the PSU firmware, and it works perfectly now, expect that the PSU fan still stays on (though very quiet) even when laptop is sleeping or shut down. I tested on a PC, and the Gaming Box PSU fan does shut off completely, so it might be a compatibility issue between Mac and Gaming Box. Can anyone confirm if their Gaming Box PSU fan stays on when laptop is sleeping? GIGABYTE has not been very helpful (they say the Gaming Box RX 580 is not fully validated to work on MacBook Pro...).

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 8, 2018 7:47 pm  
Posted by: mar_kelp

I noticed a new utility released on the Gigabyte Gaming Box support site for firmware:

VGA Tools -- @BIOS Support ATI Radeon HD 5000-series,6000-series,7000-series, R7 200-series, R7 300 series, R9 200series, R9 300series, R9F/NANO series Models,RX400 series Models ,RX500 series Models ,RX VEGA series Models

OS: Windows XP 64bit,Windows XP 32bit,Windows 8.1 64bit,Windows 8.1 32bit,Windows 8 64bit,Windows 8 32bit,Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 10 64bit,Windows 10 32bit

When I download and run the app, the Gaming Box is not recognized, but it is running my external display and appears in the Device Manager:

Has anyone given this a try and had luck updating the firmware of the Gaming Box RX580?

Did you ever figure out how to update the firmware? I tried running it on Bootcamp and also on my friend's PC, and I got the same result as you did.

ReplyQuote
jgrove
(@jgrove)
November 10, 2018 3:35 pm  

I am new to this forum, but today purchased the RX 580 Gaming Box so that I could use it on my MacBook Pro and my Windows based NUC system. I had wanted the Blackmagic egpu but it looked unlikey to work on ny Intel NUC Windows device.

So like many it has its quirks, so I flashed the PSU firmware, works a treat in Windows I will test on my MacBook Pro later, but it does shut the PSU off, alas I thin the reason why the fans still run, is becuase while thr cable is connected to your MacBook Pro it is charging it. PSU Firmware F1.1

I also flashed the firmware that changes the profile for graphics use, in other words I am not that interested in the USB ports, so I will also see if this makes a difference. Firmware F1.0_H2D

It is an easy job to do, but I am fortunate to have a Intel NIC that has a TB3 connector.

I also turned off the LED's uing the Mac sofware from Gigabyte, and that has turned them off permantley, even in Windows so pretty happy with that.

There are some issues when switching from Mac to PC which sometimes means disconnected and reconnecting the TB3.

Hope that is of some use to everyone,

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 10, 2018 4:21 pm  
Posted by: jgrove

So like many it has its quirks, so I flashed the PSU firmware, works a treat in Windows I will test on my MacBook Pro later, but it does shut the PSU off, alas I thin the reason why the fans still run, is becuase while thr cable is connected to your MacBook Pro it is charging it. PSU Firmware F1.1

Thanks for the comment. Would be interested to know if the PSU on your Gaming Box stays on while connected to your MacBook Pro. I also suspect that PSU fan stays on because it's powering/charging the laptop. If someone has a PC that uses thunderbolt/USB-C for power delivery, that could confirm our suspicion. Strangely enough, GIGABYTE is asking me to send in my Gaming Box (only because the PSU fan stays on while connected to a sleeping Mac), and they refuses to tell me if the Gaming Box PSU fan is supposed to stay on with a sleeping Mac or not. It just seems like they're not willing to admit that this is normal behavior, for whatever reason...

ReplyQuote
jgrove
(@jgrove)
November 10, 2018 5:09 pm  
Posted by: doxadeo

Thanks for the comment. Would be interested to know if the PSU on your Gaming Box stays on while connected to your MacBook Pro. I also suspect that PSU fan stays on because it's powering/charging the laptop. If someone has a PC that uses thunderbolt/USB-C for power delivery, that could confirm our suspicion. Strangely enough, GIGABYTE is asking me to send in my Gaming Box (only because the PSU fan stays on while connected to a sleeping Mac), and they refuses to tell me if the Gaming Box PSU fan is supposed to stay on with a sleeping Mac or not. It just seems like they're not willing to admit that this is normal behavior, for whatever reason...

Hi, the PSU flash doesn't appear to have done much, the fans remain on albeit quitter, that's both on the PC and MAC they only shut done once the TB3 cable is removed from the device. So I suspect it isn't necessarily Gigabytes fault, it is possibly to do with how the power management is run on both my Mac and my Intel NUC.

But on a MacBook it would make sense that the PSU fans run if its plugged in, as it will charge the laptop whilst connected.

Does that make sense?

Regards

James

PS I should stress that the PC software that Gigabyte provide is terrible. I ended up removing it all and getting the drivers direct from AMD

PC Test - Yes all the fans appear to shut down. Even with the TB3 cable till plugged in, however the unit still hums, so I assume the PSU is still powered and held on a soft switch.

MAC - Same as above

In both cases the Gaming Box doesn't shut down fully unless the TB cable is removed from the host.

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 12, 2018 9:03 pm  

But on a MacBook it would make sense that the PSU fans run if its plugged in, as it will charge the laptop whilst connected.

PS I should stress that the PC software that Gigabyte provide is terrible. I ended up removing it all and getting the drivers direct from AMD

PC Test - Yes all the fans appear to shut down. Even with the TB3 cable till plugged in, however the unit still hums, so I assume the PSU is still powered and held on a soft switch.

MAC - Same as above

In both cases the Gaming Box doesn't shut down fully unless the TB cable is removed from the host.

Thanks for the reply.
That's interesting that the PSU fan still runs even on PC. I had thought that it stayed on with my MacBook Pro because it's delivery power to the laptop. GIGABYTE customer support had not been very forthcoming about whether the PSU fan should turn off completely with a Mac, but they finally said "it should power off". They want me to send in my unit to get it inspected, but I'm temporarily living in Europe, so I can't do that for a while.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev