Clear all

Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box Review - Little in the Middle  

of  18
  RSS

Locky28
(@locky28)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Angrypeanut

Just order it from Amazon US. Free shipping and mine is already onboard its plane to our sunny shores!!!

How much did you end up paying in dollarydoos to do that?

Dell U2715H - Samsung T5 External SSD 500GB

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

Looks like PowerColor's RX Vega56 Nano version will be launched soon. Do you think this case can handle it? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ondert A power supply with GPU max power of at least 240W should be able to handle this Vega 56 Nano. Gigabyte tuned the firmware of the Gaming Box for 100W Power Delivery and effectively made GPU max power at 225W. My guess is it's a 50/50 bet.

I don't recommend pairing the Gaming Box with this GPU. Look at the massive heatsink and 130mm fan on the RX 580. The Vega 56 Nano will run hotter with a more restrictive cooler. On top of that you have the heat from the small PSU sitting right behind it. Be patient, this very GPU is part of an upcoming mini eGPU enclosure (external power adapter).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

" this very GPU is part of an upcoming mini eGPU enclosure (external power adapter)."

Could be an insta buy for me, if only I could get AMD cards working in Bootcamp...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Angrypeanut
(@angrypeanut)

$618 USD which was $808 AUD.
It turned up yesterday. My late 2012 I7 Mac Mini is now using this EGPU. In heaven benchmark it used to get 10-12 FPS, with RX580 it now gets around 65fps.
I tested Fortnite last night which used to struggle to load and was totally unplayable now it sits around 60fps.
Super impressed. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I think it was well worth it as it gives my older Mac mini a new lease in life.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Locky28
(@locky28)
Eminent Member

Nice. How's the noise from the small fans?

Dell U2715H - Samsung T5 External SSD 500GB

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Angrypeanut
(@angrypeanut)

you dont hear them if you are running any form of audio etc.

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member

I've been going around in circles with this.
I have this gaming box (used amazon.co.uk) and connected it to my macbook pro 13 via USB-C

The Macbook Pro is THEN connected to my LG 5k monitor with USB-C aswell.

So Macbook Pro + USB-C -> AMD RX580 gaming box
Macbook Pro + USB-C -> LG 5k Monitor

OSx shows it as connected and it comes on but it doesn't appear to use the card for anything.
I keep seeing instructions for windows machines where you have to also connect the box to the external monitor with a HDMI or displayport - but why.. when it's connected via the USB-C via the mac....  Consider that the DisplayPort output would also then need a converter to make it into USB-C so it could actually connect to the LG monitor (which only has USB-C).

Help much appreciated!

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: SirLothar

I've been going around in circles with this.
I have this gaming box (used amazon.co.uk) and connected it to my macbook pro 13 via USB-C

The Macbook Pro is THEN connected to my LG 5k monitor with USB-C aswell.

So Macbook Pro + USB-C -> AMD RX580 gaming box
Macbook Pro + USB-C -> LG 5k Monitor

OSx shows it as connected and it comes on but it doesn't appear to use the card for anything.
I keep seeing instructions for windows machines where you have to also connect the box to the external monitor with a HDMI or displayport - but why.. when it's connected via the USB-C via the mac....  Consider that the DisplayPort output would also then need a converter to make it into USB-C so it could actually connect to the LG monitor (which only has USB-C).

Help much appreciated!

Display must be connected to eGPU, since you have a Thunderbolt Display you can’t connect it to eGPU. You need a display with Display Port or HDMI.
if you run software like Geekbench they will use the eGPU anyway thanks to OpenCL and Metal but most software won’t like games, they need to run on the display connected to eGPU to use it

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD
my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  18