Notifications
Clear all

Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box Review - Little in the Middle  

of  18
  RSS

mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member

I honestly don't know what to do now. I've read others using "active" TB3 cables to some success, but these cables are $110+ of my dollars and I don't feel I should need to spend the extra money... it should come with everything to work correctly. I've raised a ticket with Gigabyte but they haven't come back to me yet.

I was actually able to get my setup into the 20Gb/s state. I was trying the different ports on my machine using the "Disconnect EGPU" menu item between attempts and refreshing the System Info each time. I tried all four and all seemed to work fine with full speed and power as expected. But when I put the cable back into the left side/closest to Tab, I got the 20Gb/s Speed (screenshot bel0w). A reboot and it came back to 40Gb/s. Power always stayed at 100W.

Gaming Box 20GbPS

A couple more ideas for your 60W and 20Gb/s issues:

• Have you tried all four TB3 ports? Yes, left side next Tab is recommended. But it can't hurt to try each one and refresh System Prefs to see if there is a difference.

• Try another TB3 cable. I invested in an Apple .8m cable and they have a generous return policy if you decide you don't need it. You shouldn't need an active cable for a short connection.

• Try your Gaming Box on another TB3 Mac. If you live near one, maybe the Apple Store would let you bring it in and plug it into a machine there...

• Take advantage of Amazon's return policy and swap it out?

With regards to the Gaming Box seeming to die but revive with a power cycle, I think this is a defect in the product. It has happened to me repeatedly under both MacOS and Windows Boot Camp and I have seen other reports. Perhaps software, firmware or OS updates can improve it. In the meantime, I avoid letting my system Sleep/Hibernate.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + RX 580 Gaming Box + macOS 10.14.3 and Windows 10 (BootCamp with rEFInd)

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Matt W
(@iamwagz)

Thank you so much @mar_kelp and everyone for your help. I bought an Apple 0.8M cable on your recommendation, at first I was getting the same readings but with 100W charging. After a restart with it connected to the port closest to the touch bar on the left hand side, I'm now at 40GBs and 100W. 

Certainly speaks for the quality of Apple products actually. It might be $59, but it's worth it. 

Thanks again all!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Angrypeanut
(@angrypeanut)

I have been testing my RX580

So currently I use my RX580 with a thunderbolt to thunderbolt 3 adapter and TB cable with my 2012 i7 MacMini. I did a Cinebench benchmark and got 53 fps and then connected it to my 2016 MacbookPro via TB3 cable and ran the test and got 54fps.
This whole test to see if the TB1 was a bottleneck but now I can confirm that I love this enclosure as it lets me enhance my  2012 MacMini with lightroom as well as lets me play Fortnite etc. I sooooooo love this enclourse and gives my old Mac Mini a new lease of life.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member

I noticed a new utility released on the Gigabyte Gaming Box support site for firmware:

VGA Tools -- @BIOS Support ATI Radeon HD 5000-series,6000-series,7000-series, R7 200-series, R7 300 series, R9 200series, R9 300series, R9F/NANO series Models,RX400 series Models ,RX500 series Models ,RX VEGA series Models

OS: Windows XP 64bit,Windows XP 32bit,Windows 8.1 64bit,Windows 8.1 32bit,Windows 8 64bit,Windows 8 32bit,Windows 7 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 10 64bit,Windows 10 32bit

When I download and run the app, the Gaming Box is not recognized, but it is running my external display and appears in the Device Manager:

Gigabyte Tool

Has anyone given this a try and had luck updating the firmware of the Gaming Box RX580?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + RX 580 Gaming Box + macOS 10.14.3 and Windows 10 (BootCamp with rEFInd)

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
SirLothar
(@sirlothar)
Eminent Member

Thanks for this by the way and apologies for delay.  I gave up in the end and sold the eGPU as I didn't want to replace my 5k monitor.  Shame no-one does a USB-C output on video cards yet

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: SirLothar

Thanks for this by the way and apologies for delay.  I gave up in the end and sold the eGPU as I didn't want to replace my 5k monitor.  Shame no-one does a USB-C output on video cards yet

Like karatekid430 said, this would have worked if you used a ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC and a riser (like those used by crypto currency miners).

A GC-ALPINE RIDGE doesn't work in a one slot riser without a PCIe connection but it does work in a IT-GO ADP-099-31 two slot riser + enclosure without a PCIe connection.

Instead of a riser, you could use a PC with a spare PCIe slot, or a Thunderbolt 3 PCIe expansion box.

Using an add-in card in an unsupported PCIe slot (a supported PCIe slot is one on a motherboard with a Thunderbolt header and Thunderbolt support in BIOS), there is currently no way to use any functions of the LG UltraFine 5K display that require PCIe communication (audio, camera, USB ports and brightness control). But at least you'll get 5K resolution working.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

MSRP for the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box is now $499 on Amazon.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ondert
(@ondert)
Trusted Member

That's nice. They were offering a 50$ rebate but only to US customers. I live in EU and ordering this from US now would cost me 100€ less than getting one here even with custom and shipping fees.

ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)
Eminent Member

Just got this in the mail about 15 minutes ago.

Plug n' play worked great. I started up World of Warcraft and noticed that the bottom 1/10th of the screen randomly glitches every 10sec-1min or so and shows other graphics/generally freaks out for less than a second.

I've tried to reseat the GPU, tried different cables for HDMI and USB-C (I had the Apple 40GB/s one). Any other ideas? I reached out to Gigabyte Support, but they say it'll be 3-7 days.

I confirmed I am getting "Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s"

Edit: I swapped out my eGPU for a replacement and it is working fine now.

Gigabyte's support was slow and zero responsibility; they told me they would be unable to provide any support. I contacted the reseller and was able to swap it out. I was disappointed by the way that Gigabyte handled the ticket.

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3 i9, 16GB, 1TB, 5500 w/ 4GB; Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
Notorious826
(@notorious826)
Eminent Member

Has anybody successfully got this RX580 Gaming Box working in Bootcamp on the new 2018 13"/15" MacBook Pros? If yes, did you need to run any additional steps to get past Error Code 12?

ReplyQuote
 of  18