GPU Max Fan Speed While Laptop is Off- EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080

Notifications
Clear all

GPU Max Fan Speed While Laptop is Off- EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080  

RSS

Jeffrey Matheson
(@jeffrey_matheson)

Hey all,

Due to some fortunate circumstances I just switched from a FE 3070 to an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 today, but anytime the laptop is turned off or set to hibernate, 2 of the 3 fans on the card kick into maximum speed. This did not happen with the FE 3070 card so I am wondering how I can fix this (beyond the solution of “just turn off the eGPU or unplug it every time” because my ADHD means I’m constantly going to forget to do this).

I’m looking for a software fix, drivers, thunderbolt, etc.

Setup:

I seriously appreciate any and all help anyone can provide because I’ve spent hours searching forums for an answer and haven’t found one.

*Edit Note: I rearranged which ports the Y-splitter in my eGPU connects to and now all three fans run together at max speed.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Trusted Member

@jeffrey_matheson, I had the same problem with a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super in a Core X build of my own. The only solution I saw mentioned was disabling Windows fast startup. This worked for some people, but not for me. The problem appears to be within the card itself, as I replaced it with an EVGA RTX 2070 Super and it had no fan issue at all. 

2018 Intel NUC8i5BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 LTSC // modified 1947 Philips Model 100 Radio custom NUC case [build link]  

ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

Nothing specific, but the only other idea I'll add, is that when I first got my Mac mini setup with BootCamp and a Blackmagic eGPU, I apparently didn't have the drivers properly installed when I first started using it. It would run normally for a while, and then at some point, just full-throttle the fans. After I properly installed the drivers, it never happened again. (This wasn't while it was off or sleeping, but just thought I'd pass that along.)

2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580)

ReplyQuote
Jeffrey Matheson
(@jeffrey_matheson)

@boltoway, Think it’s worth shooting EVGA a support ticket to see if they have any idea?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Trusted Member

@jeffrey_matheson, No harm can come from it, may as well see what they say. 

In my opinion this is a BIOS level issue, which would explain why this issue appears in some models of the same GPU and not others. 

2018 Intel NUC8i5BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 LTSC // modified 1947 Philips Model 100 Radio custom NUC case [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jeffrey Matheson
(@jeffrey_matheson)

@boltoway, Unfortunately I’m not experienced with working with the bios and tried various settings in there to no avail. There might be some combination of settings that affect it.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Trusted Member

@jeffrey_matheson, Sorry I should have been more specific. I believe the problem is within the Graphics Card's BIOS, not the laptop's. 

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

I have the same issue with my Asus Strix 2070 OC + Sonnet Breakaway 550 , when I shut down the laptop the GPU fans spin up to what might be max, I just unplug the TB cable from the laptop and plug it back in (or just leave it unplugged) and it fixes it. I don't think it was happening when I first got it, I think it started happening somewhere along the line so I assume it might be BIOS or software based.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote