Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Help - Low performance - Lenovo P51(I7-7700HQ//16GB RAM) + Razer Core X + GTX 16...

Help - Low performance - Lenovo P51(I7-7700HQ//16GB RAM) + Razer Core X + GTX 1660 ti  

RSS

Jam
 Jam
(@jam)

Hi,

first an foremost i hope that this is the right place to ask. Since eGPUs are still far from mainstream i found it hard to find any kind of reliable help elsewhere by googling.

As the title indicates my problem is simply that i don't nearly get the expected performance from my GTX 1660 ti whilst using it with the Razer core X.

The main reason i bought this combination was to have solid FPS while playing Apex Legends, but i only get a measly ~60 FPS with drops to as low as 40 FPS with most of the graphics settings set to low (1920x1080//TSLA//x4AA// Models: High// everything else off or low) - It is also worth noting that my CPU and RAM are not maxed out while playing, but the GPU is.

From what i understand by looking at other posts using the GTX 1660 ti in a regular PC should net about 150-200 FPS at these settings, which for my should translate to at least 100-130 FPS while using the core.

Some more info:

1. I have used HWinfo64 to verify that the P51 has x4 PCIe wiring to the Thunderbolt 3 port.
  2. I am using an external monitor (60hz, via HDMI) and turning the internal monitor off does not raise my FPS noticeably.
  3. I am updated all my drivers multiple times including Bios/clean install etc.
  4. I have tried disabling my internal GPUs (Intel Graphics 630//Nvidia Quattro 1200M)
  5. I have compared my FPS in other games to online benchmarks and also found these to be proportionally lower
  6. My GTX 1660 ti got a graphics score of 5420 on Time Spy 3Dmark while using the core. Regular PCs report scores around ~6100.

Now my general question is, what my next step should be. I have some general knowledge on how to tackle these things, but I've exhausted my ideas. How can i identify why the GPU is maxed out with such low FPS?

Any genuine help is welcome, but please refrain from the general update drivers again/ have you tried turning it off and on again stuff; trust my I've tried. 😛

Cheers.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

You are using internal display or external?

If it is internal display then you are perfect with 60FPS, no matter what game.

And: Where did you get that "translation" ("150-200FPS -> 100-130FPS"). It's not that simple. E.g. on 5k external display the loss is under 3%.

This post was modified 5 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Jam
 Jam
(@jam)

Thanks for the reply Oliver.

I think you might have over-read the following:

I am using an external monitor (60hz, via HDMI) and turning the internal monitor off does not raise my FPS noticeably. 

Regarding this I've found that every article I came across actually stated the internal display FPS is only effected if you only have x2 PCIe wiring to your Thunderbolt 3 Port, which i do not. I was also able to confirm this since switching to the internal display actually doesn't affect FPS significantly.

I have used HWinfo64 to verify that the P51 has x4 PCIe wiring to the Thunderbolt 3 port.

As far as that translation is concerned I merely adjusted my expected FPS proportionally to what others reported when it comes to performance loss due to the GPU being in the core, and being extremely generous about it... I should actually get even more FPS out of it. 

It's a 300€ GPU which should definitely net more than unstable 60 FPS. That is actually what my internal Quattro 1200M can provide. So at the moment I basically spent 600€ for 0% performance increase. 😮 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@jam Preliminary sanity check: I presume the external monitor is connected directly to the eGPU, and not the laptop (important). Second, try setting the GPU preferences for the app in Windows GPU settings.

It is also worth noting that my CPU and RAM are not maxed out while playing, but the GPU is.

Was the 1660 Ti maxed out, or the dGPU, or both? Timespy seemed to work as expected. Do you experience this issue in other games? For a clearer picture, try some standard benchmarks (such as Unigine Heaven) and see what you get. I have never played Apex Legends, but some games have built-in GPU selection. If present, ensure that the correct GPU is selected. Hope that helps.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

ReplyQuote
Jam
 Jam
(@jam)

Hi mac_editor,

sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I did connect the external monitor to directly to the eGPU. But i also tried connecting it to the PC (i.e. using the Thunderbolt for IN and OUTput, and it didn't effect the FPS at all). This leads me to believe, that the Problem is NOT with the Thunderbolt connection, which performs as expected since I do have the x4 PCIe wiring.

The 1660Ti was maxed out (taken from Taskmanager). I am certain that this is the case, since it behaved the same way when completely disabling the dGPU.

Timespy is closer to what I'd expect, that's true. I am not sure what to take from this though, since all actual games I tested did NOT behave as expected.

Upon your request I just ran Unigine Heaven:

1. DX11, no tesselation, 1920x1080, high:
    1. With the dGPU active and external monitor connected to the laptop: 106 fps, score 2678, min 9, max 192
    2. With the dGPU deactivated and the external monitor connected to the eGPU: 119 fps, score 3003, min 26, max 219
  2. Extreme Preset:
    1. With the dGPU active and external monitor connected to the laptop: 66 fps, score 1665 , min 8,max 123
    2. With the dGPU deactivated and the external monitor connected to the eGPU: 76 fps, score 1932, min 24, max 162

The only other benchmarks i found of a GeForce 1660ti were 2 on the leaderboards of Unigine itself. I am fully aware of the fact that i should not expect to actually meet these but they actually have  ~3500 and ~3800 at extreme preset. That is double my score... 

As of now I will most likely return both, the core and the GPU to my retailer since they simply do not archive the advertised performance. 🙁

ReplyQuote