Help: Mac mini 2020/ Catalina and MBP 2014/ Mojave do not recognize AMD Radeon F...

Notifications
Clear all

Help: Mac mini 2020/ Catalina and MBP 2014/ Mojave do not recognize AMD Radeon Frontier on Razer Core V1  

RSS

VJ Rei
(@vj_rei)

Hello

I am new into GPU. I have:

Mac mini 2020/ Catalina

MBP 2014/ Mojave

I ran the script on both and now they can see the Razer Core V1 BUT that is it, they can not see the video card.

On the mac mini I can see the egpu icon when starting up and disappears, on the MBP not even that. Any solution?

Thank you. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@vj_rei, Check PCI section of system report - it should show presence of GPU/controller. If not, then reassemble eGPU. Also, Core V1 may be insufficient to power Radeon Frontier (but that should be under full load). Ensure power cables are plugged in appropriately (you can share an image to verify). eGPU should work natively on Mac mini 2020 after patching for Core V1, so first target on getting that to work. I would start by reinstalling macOS on top of existing install (no data loss).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VJ Rei
(@vj_rei)

You nail it. It was a connector inside that was not full in, it occurred to me to check on that and vuala. Everything works fine on the Mac Mini and the MBP. Right now I am doing benchmarks. Thank you very much. (y)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
VJ Rei
(@vj_rei)

@mac_editor, But I have another problem.

When connecting to the Mac mini everything just fine. 

When connecting to the MBP (mid 2014) the external monitor does not work, not connected to the GPU neither connected to the MBP directly. When I connect the external monitor, the home screen goes to the external monitor, but the external monitor backlight is black. It is on, but is black. The MBP screen just keeps the background color. I can move the cursor from the external monitor (blindly) to the MBP screen. 

Weird. I checked the cables, plugged the monitor to different outputs of the GPU and nothing. Restart... nothing. Like if I need to install the driver again or something. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@vj_rei, if your 2014 MBP has NVIDIA, use purge-nvda. Read some builds

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VJ Rei
(@vj_rei)

@mac_editor, Thank you. I took a look. Your web site is gold. 

ReplyQuote
VJ Rei
(@vj_rei)

I did the Purge-Nvidia and I was able to run the GPU with the external monitor just fine. I shut down the computer, unplug everything. Power up the computer and the display is fully bright and the brightness buttons do not work. 

I had to unmount purge Nvidia to gain control again.

Is there another way where I can have control over my machine without killing the functions and having to run scripts all the time if I want to use the external gpu again?

Thank you. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@vj_rei, not much can be done. Read the master thread (it’s in my signature) for the 2014 MBP

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote