Notifications
Clear all

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  32
  RSS

rhx123
(@rhx123)
Eminent Member Moderator

29-Aug-2017: 4chip's HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough

Just announced by HP. Seems huge, but $299 is a good price for a eGPU with this feature set as explained at HP's press release. It's ETA is August 2017.

OMEN by HP Accelerator – Professional-by-Day, Gamer-by-Night

The OMEN by HP Accelerator brings gaming to anyone with a desire to plug-in and game on a PC. The OMEN Accelerator can transform a Thunderbolt 3 enabled PC struggling to deliver fluid gameplay into a gaming powerhouse with fast and fluid framerates at high-resolutions. The OMEN Accelerator delivers flexibility and the ability to be a professional-by-day, and a gamer-by-night.

• Available preconfigured with NVIDIA® or AMD Graphics card.
  • Configurable with a 2.5” 1TB HDD or 256GB SSD10, or offered as an empty enclosure with a 500W power supply.
  • Thunderbolt-certified to ensure compatibility across a range of HP PCs.
  • Single cable docking with 60W charge back to the PC, so you can connect power for your notebook and a range of gaming accessories without worrying about plugging multiple cables.
  • Easy-access door so you can change out graphics cards, hard drives, or SSD with minimal effort.
  • Generous port selection including 4 USB 3.0 type A ports and 1 USB 3.1 type-C™ and RJ-45 for networking.

XPS 13 9360 + Acer Graphics Dock

itsage, sicily428, vava726 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
gorogoropig
(@gorogoropig)

Probably the best value eGPU, considering all the features and price. Looks massive though.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
catstax
(@catstax)

The PR blurb on some other sites say this only works with HP hardware, some kind of software package is used to manage external GPUs.

If someone gets one it will be interesting to see if that holds true or HP's software works with non-HP systems.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wingman9
(@wingman9)

It baffles me how these companies succeed in making these devices so ugly.

ReplyQuote
BlackJack84
(@blackjack84)
Eminent Member

Posted by: wingman9

It baffles me how these companies succeed in making these devices so ugly.

Not to mention that keeping all else equal (box size, i.e. thermals), just tilting it 45° sideways means +42% footprint for no other purpose than, err, aesthetics. So to say.
Neither it can be stacked with, say, an external hard drive.
My inner engineer is hurting.

2016 12.5" Razer Blade Stealth (i7-7500U) + GTX1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Design aside, what I've noticed with these recently announced eGPU enclosures is that they seem to share one board. I would guess TUL is the manufacturer. This new board seems to have the IO daughter board integrated rather than plugged in vertically (current design of PowerColor Devil Box and Mantiz Venus).

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Bigger size does not necessarily mean bigger capabilities... or better performance 🙂

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Updated opening page with more pics and specs. If this enclosure has firmware allowing eGPU use on uncertified hosts then it sets a new benchmark for features at the less-than US$300 pricepoint.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
uclatommy
(@uclatommy)

Looks like I found my new egpu enclosure! However, I would probably chop off the legs and put it on its side if I bought it. Something about standing a square up on a corner just bothers me.

ReplyQuote
 of  32