Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  9
  RSS

rhx123
(@rhx123)
Eminent Member Moderator

29-Aug-2017: 4chip's HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough

Just announced by HP. Seems huge, but $299 is a good price for a eGPU with this feature set as explained at HP's press release. It's ETA is August 2017.

OMEN by HP Accelerator – Professional-by-Day, Gamer-by-Night

The OMEN by HP Accelerator brings gaming to anyone with a desire to plug-in and game on a PC. The OMEN Accelerator can transform a Thunderbolt 3 enabled PC struggling to deliver fluid gameplay into a gaming powerhouse with fast and fluid framerates at high-resolutions. The OMEN Accelerator delivers flexibility and the ability to be a professional-by-day, and a gamer-by-night.

• Available preconfigured with NVIDIA® or AMD Graphics card.
  • Configurable with a 2.5” 1TB HDD or 256GB SSD10, or offered as an empty enclosure with a 500W power supply.
  • Thunderbolt-certified to ensure compatibility across a range of HP PCs.
  • Single cable docking with 60W charge back to the PC, so you can connect power for your notebook and a range of gaming accessories without worrying about plugging multiple cables.
  • Easy-access door so you can change out graphics cards, hard drives, or SSD with minimal effort.
  • Generous port selection including 4 USB 3.0 type A ports and 1 USB 3.1 type-C™ and RJ-45 for networking.

XPS 13 9360 + Acer Graphics Dock

itsage, sicily428, vava726 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
gorogoropig
(@gorogoropig)

Probably the best value eGPU, considering all the features and price. Looks massive though.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
catstax
(@catstax)

The PR blurb on some other sites say this only works with HP hardware, some kind of software package is used to manage external GPUs.

If someone gets one it will be interesting to see if that holds true or HP's software works with non-HP systems.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wingman9
(@wingman9)

It baffles me how these companies succeed in making these devices so ugly.

ReplyQuote
BlackJack84
(@blackjack84)
Eminent Member

Posted by: wingman9

It baffles me how these companies succeed in making these devices so ugly.

Not to mention that keeping all else equal (box size, i.e. thermals), just tilting it 45° sideways means +42% footprint for no other purpose than, err, aesthetics. So to say.
Neither it can be stacked with, say, an external hard drive.
My inner engineer is hurting.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Design aside, what I’ve noticed with these recently announced eGPU enclosures is that they seem to share one board. I would guess TUL is the manufacturer. This new board seems to have the IO daughter board integrated rather than plugged in vertically (current design of PowerColor Devil Box and Mantiz Venus).

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Bigger size does not necessarily mean bigger capabilities... or better performance 🙂

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Updated opening page with more pics and specs. If this enclosure has firmware allowing eGPU use on uncertified hosts then it sets a new benchmark for features at the less-than US$300 pricepoint.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
sicily428
(@sicily428)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
uclatommy
(@uclatommy)

Looks like I found my new egpu enclosure! However, I would probably chop off the legs and put it on its side if I bought it. Something about standing a square up on a corner just bothers me.

ReplyQuote
adrianr
(@adrianr)
Eminent Member

Are they legs fixed?! I assumed they were removable because for many people the intended orientation is simply a waste of valuable space, I think:-)

HP Spectre x360 13 2017, Apple TB3-TB2 adapter, Akitio Thunder2 boards in an old ATX case, Seasonic ATX PSU, Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member

I hear you. It's THE champion for retarded design, even worse than Asus and PowerColor.

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
polo
 polo
(@polo)

I am not sure,  ASUS/PowerColor looks retarded,   HP  looks better. 

P648-M+BL2420PT Arch user.

ReplyQuote
tedl
 tedl
(@tedl)

Hmmm...Whether gonna work on other brands will be a question.

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member

Twelve year old me would have loved this!  Grown me kinda likes it too LOL.

See also:

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Found this article with a bit of information on the The Omen Accelerator.

It states "Thunderbolt-certified to ensure compatibility across a range of HP PCs.". Wonder if this means it only will support HP devices. 

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

It seems that thunderbolt is not limited to one device/manufacturer, so I would guess it would work with all.

I think this is the sweet spot for components... I wonder if anyone will tear these down, get rid of the giant box and actually custom build something good looking.  Nice market opportunity there - someone needs to start selling TB3 cases based off HP internals.

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Posted by: irev210

It seems that thunderbolt is not limited to one device/manufacturer, so I would guess it would work with all.

I think this is the sweet spot for components... I wonder if anyone will tear these down, get rid of the giant box and actually custom build something good looking.  Nice market opportunity there - someone needs to start selling TB3 cases based off HP internals.

Yeah in theory thunderbolt works with any thing that supports it. I can just see HP being silly and restricting it to only their products though software or some other way. 

It looks like a really nice product apart from the size and design as you mentioned. I hope you will be able to take the feet off the have it siting flat. 

I also wonder that the price point in the UK will be. I have mostly seen $300 in articles so far. Normally that gets directly translated to £300 for the UK market on most products. Have to wait and see. 

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Of course it will work with non-HP laptops too 🙂  - that's the whole point of Thunderbolt.

The reason why HP says only HP laptops supported, is simple - if you buy another OEM laptop, and something does not work because some bug in the BIOS or NVM of that laptop, HP does not want be responsible for that - as it cannot do anything about it, right? 

On a positive side, if HP says that Omen is supported with certain HP laptops, that means those HP laptops are going to work well with (pretty much any decent) eGPUs. That's a great news. 

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Post-sale Support is the biggest selling factor for me. This is exactly why Razer and HP state their eGPU boxes work for their own brand computers only. There are too many variations that cause incompatibility as @Sky11 mentioned.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

I get what you both mean. I'm looking forward to seeing more about it. 

Anyone got a speculation ideas on what the price in the UK might be?

ReplyQuote
Eludiax
(@eludiax)

With most of what i have seen, the eGPUs in europe are:
price + +-100 dollars, convert that to pounds, and voila.

So in this case, 300 + 100 = 400
400 dollar = 306 pounds, so right about 300 - 310 pounds i think.

ReplyQuote
selsey
(@selsey)

I have come across the Omen Accelerator page on HP UK store here. They have priced it at £299. I have placed an order and they are estimating delivery for 31st July it has been dispatched and is due to be delivered tomorrow (28th July).

JRSerjeant, nando4, nielz and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Just Googled "hp omen accelerator" and noticed a sponsored ad in the side bar. Looks like the accelerator can be ordered with an estimated delivery of 1st Aug.

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Posted by: selsey

I have come across the Omen Accelerator page on HP UK store here. They have priced it at £299. I have placed an order and they are estimating delivery for 31st July it has been dispatched and is due to be delivered tomorrow (28th July).

Opps, sorry did see your post before I submitted mine.

Are you able to share some pictures from when yours arrives?

ReplyQuote
Denjin
(@denjin)
Eminent Member

I've ordered one from the UK store, but it's Saturday.  Supposedly was still in stock so when I get it I'll post some pictures.  Planning to use it with my Aero 15 and my GTX 1080 on 3440x1440 external display.

Asus GM501 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10 (no guide)

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

I ordered mine a while back, the store claims it should arrive on Monday, happy to verify things for folks here or post images of it. Hope to use it in a dock/external display setup with my (2017) Spectre x360, and in some basic VR scenarios.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
selsey
(@selsey)

Mine arrived on Friday, but have only just had a chance to get it out. Here are the first few pics:

20170730 113822
20170729 112224
20170729 112142
20170729 112135
20170729 111854

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Posted by: BlackJack84

Not to mention that keeping all else equal (box size, i.e. thermals), just tilting it 45° sideways means +42% footprint for no other purpose than, err, aesthetics. So to say.

One tiny note from a fellow engineer - the box size being equal does not imply equal thermals.  Without trying to imply any specific numerical differences on the Omen itself, tilting a case *can* improve thermals (adds more area(s) that can be used for air intake/exhaust, eliminates dead bottom areas, plus, just for completeness, fins can add radiation area to the box). Now, the *amount* of thermal improvement over a flat box that you get just by tilting is probably not going to be a stellar, so I agree the visual is likely a far stronger component there than raw engineering (plus, there is the family resemblance since the "big" Omen X is also tilted).

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Thanks for posting the pictures. Are you able to confirm if the feet and detachable to allow it to sit flat on its side?

ReplyQuote
selsey
(@selsey)

It looks like the legs are attached with a set of screws and so should be removable. The picture here shows the screws on the inside of the case.

20170730 163301

ReplyQuote
BlackJack84
(@blackjack84)
Eminent Member

Posted by: 4chip4

One tiny note from a fellow engineer - the box size being equal does not imply equal thermals.  Without trying to imply any specific numerical differences on the Omen itself, tilting a case *can* improve thermals (adds more area(s) that can be used for air intake/exhaust, eliminates dead bottom areas, plus, just for completeness, fins can add radiation area to the box). Now, the *amount* of thermal improvement over a flat box that you get just by tilting is probably not going to be a stellar, so I agree the visual is likely a far stronger component there than raw engineering (plus, there is the family resemblance since the "big" Omen X is also tilted).

But then you wouldn't be "keeping all else equal" the way I said 🙂
Say, imagine having the case up straight, but keeping the fins as footstands so that the bottom surface is raised from the desk rather than sitting directly on it, à la Mantiz Venus (in fact, it has an exhaust fan at the bottom).
I agree box size isn't everything but once orientation is truly the only variable we're looking at, I'd honestly be surprised to find any measurable difference in thermals.
But hey, after all originality has its importance too, now that the eGPU market is getting more and more crowded. And that is something we can all rejoice at 😉

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

FYI, anyone looking for get one in the UK might be able to get a bit of cash back from Top Cash Back. 

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/hp/

Haven't made my order yet so I can't say if the Accelerator is valid for this cash back offer. But I will report back went I do. 

However it is currently Out of Stock atm. 

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

But then you wouldn't be "keeping all else equal" the way I said 🙂
Say, imagine having the case up straight, but keeping the fins as footstands so that the bottom surface is raised from the desk rather than sitting directly on it, à la Mantiz Venus (in fact, it has an exhaust fan at the bottom).
I agree box size isn't everything but once orientation is truly the only variable we're looking at, I'd honestly be surprised to find any measurable difference in thermals.
But hey, after all originality has its importance too, now that the eGPU market is getting more and more crowded. And that is something we can all rejoice at 😉

I'll certainly agree that doing it (thermals, flow in particular) *right* trumps any specific orientation (or even shape as there might be benefits in not being boxy). FWIW Exhaust fans on the bottom feels a bit wrong (you want to be scooping cool air UP and not kicking up the dust from beneath you), but then, that's what lab tests are for 🙂

ReplyQuote
kev24uk
(@kev24uk)

I just phoned HP to ask about stock and they've emailed me back to say the product is discontinued and will no longer be available in the UK!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Did some research on the fins. They are certainly not MEANT to be removed, and removing them will likely void your warranty (ask HP channels if in doubt). I would advise against removing them unless your life (real, not in-game) depends on it. You almost certainly WILL misplace screws and break plastic parts unintended unless you're experienced with taking consumer electronics apart.

That said, it certainly can be done (you'll only need a screwdriver), see picture.

- You'll need to remove a TON of screws, effectively dismantling the whole case

- The fin under the graphics card is a bit easier, esp if you have an L or curved screwdriver

- The fin under the motherboard requires the removal of both the PSU and, well, the motherboard

- The fins themselves are held in place by 4 pairs of (quite tight) screws, 2 plastic stoppers at the end and adhesive foil

After done, you'll be left with an unsightly gash on the sides (see image), this will certainly need some sort of filter/mesh or there will be lots of unwanted stuff coming in the box.

And one thermal rub - the passive exhausts on the box are on the underside of the Omen, ie on the finned sides (where the GPU and motherboard are, respectively), so you would have to keep it upside-down to keep all the vents open (plus, you'd want a spacer between the box and the surface).

Long story short - doable, but not recommended.

WP 20170731 12 27 34 Pro LI lo

ReplyQuote
 of  9