Notifications
Clear all

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  32
  RSS

tonguecat
(@tonguecat)

Posted by: benhoad

I had this issue too, the cdrom bit is a red herring - locate the random USB Mass Storage device in Device Manager and uninstall that - that should give it a kick and recognise it properly.

Thanks, that helped. Uninstalled the "USB Mass Storage Device" under the "USB-Devices" tree in Device Manager and the wrongly cdrom device, clicked redetect and now I have my ethernet card. Smile

Another update to the usb ports on the enclosure. I attached my USB-C Hub to the omen and attached there to usb devices (mouse & keyboard). With that setup I'm not getting any lags or stuttering. Will try to connect the usb headset and the xbox 360 wireless receiver to it to test devices with more power consumption. But maybe the problem only persists to the usb a ports.

HP Spectre x360 – 13-ac033ng (Intel Core i7-7500U @ 2.70GHz | 16GB | 512 GB NVMe) + GTX950@32Gbps-TB3 (OMEN by HP Accelerator)

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Posted by: 4Strings

My question is whether there is any benefit to spending the additional ~$30 on the Omen compared to the Node (to be used with an Asus GTX980 Strix for the foreseeable future) as far as compatibility, stability, and, most of all, silence goes?

Also, would daisy-chaining which ever enclosure I end up going with after the TB3 dock degrade performance in any way? The Thunderbolt Bridge on the ZBook is x4, so at least the full bandwidth is available...

I never had the two side-by-side, but I had the strong impression that (especially under load) the Node was considerably louder. YMMV. The construction of the Omen makes it easier to customize for a super-silent option (as it uses standard power supply, a 120mm fan and a larger case).

As for daisy chaining - yes, there will be consequences. TB3 is not a zero-lag endless bandwidth subspace channel as sometimes people perceive it to be Smile I'm not sure on the exact level of the performance impact (will depend on your use-cases, too), but latency will certainly suffer which is never a good thing for the GPU. I previously used a HP TB3 dock but have switched to the Omen Accelerator and effectively using it as a dock (with a combination of a powered USB3 hub).

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
kUMters
(@kumters)

As I said before = this issue is probably related to the performance of the laptop too. When I switched my RBS to heavy-duty/heavy performance Alienware 15R3 there were no problems with USBs at all.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
4Strings
(@4strings)

Posted by: 4chip4

I never had the two side-by-side, but I had the strong impression that (especially under load) the Node was considerably louder. YMMV. The construction of the Omen makes it easier to customize for a super-silent option (as it uses standard power supply, a 120mm fan and a larger case).

As for daisy chaining - yes, there will be consequences. TB3 is not a zero-lag endless bandwidth subspace channel as sometimes people perceive it to be Smile I'm not sure on the exact level of the performance impact (will depend on your use-cases, too), but latency will certainly suffer which is never a good thing for the GPU. I previously used a HP TB3 dock but have switched to the Omen Accelerator and effectively using it as a dock (with a combination of a powered USB3 hub).

Thanks!

I'm definitely aware that there will be some performance loss due to daisy-chaining, but with my current setup (laptop kept closed on a shelf under my desk with only the dock cable plugged in) I'm kind of dependent on the power button of the TB3 dock... 😛

As for the potential performance loss if used together with the dock, though, would it be comparable to using just an enclosure with built-in USB/Ethernet ports, like the Omen or Mantiz Venus, as I've read in a few places that enclosures with additional ports preform slightly worse, and you lose more, the more ports you use, or would you lose even more bandwidth just because it's a separate device?

Cheers,

HP ZBook Studio G3 {Intel Xeon E3-1505M @ 2.8GHz | 16GB | 512GB HP Z-Drive (NVMe) + 1TB Crucial M.2 (SATA) | Nvidia Quadro M1000m}

ReplyQuote
Gordon Fitzsimmons
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)

If you want top non-laggy performance with this box go with a USB hub and main device Ethernet. x360 mid 2017 + Omen Accel + 1060 here. Excellent results. I wouldn't touch the Omen's ports with a barge pole for gaming.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
4Strings
(@4strings)

Well then would the Sonnet Breakaway be a good option? It doesn't have any of the extra ports like the Omen, which are clearly just a waste, but seems to have better cooling (120mm fan) and a 350W SFX power supply which could (theoretically) be easily swapped out by hand for something like a 550W if you wanted to chuck a more power-hungry GPU in there.

HP ZBook Studio G3 {Intel Xeon E3-1505M @ 2.8GHz | 16GB | 512GB HP Z-Drive (NVMe) + 1TB Crucial M.2 (SATA) | Nvidia Quadro M1000m}

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Well then would the Sonnet Breakaway be a good option? It doesn't have any of the extra ports like the Omen, which are clearly just a waste, but seems to have better cooling (120mm fan) and a 350W SFX power supply which could (theoretically) be easily swapped out by hand for something like a 550W if you wanted to chuck a more power-hungry GPU in there.

FWIW The Omen also has a 120mm fan, and a decent full-size PSU will always be at an advantage in terms of cooling, power and, consequently, noise.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
kUMters
(@kumters)

Another thing to consider is price = In Czech/Slovak republic is OMEN at 250EUR, SONNET at 350EUR...

ReplyQuote
4Strings
(@4strings)

@kUMters: The price difference is actually the opposite here. Right now, on Amazon, the Omen is selling for almost $100 more than the Sonnet.

@4chip4: Does the Omen have a full-sized ATX PSU, or is it also SFX? I find it quite odd that even though the Omen has a PSU rated at 150W more than the Sonnet, they both only support a 300W GPU... Does an Ethernet port, one hard drive, and a few USBs really require that much power?

It does look like the Omen has a slightly higher-quality PSU, though, with an 80+ Bronze rating as opposed to just 80+, though at the current price difference between the two you could get a 450W 80+ Gold SFX PSU from Corsair or Silverstone for the Sonnet and still cost less than the Omen.

Again, I'm just making assumptions based on what I've read/can see and have no personal experience, so suggestions are all welcome!

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Estimable Member

Difference is that a bigget PSU will also allow for USB-PD to be provided to the laptop (up to ~60w?) in addition to running a 300W GPU. It's very important if you have only one USB-C port and that's also the charging port.

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 [Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU] + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (Q P1000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  32