Clear all

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  32
  RSS

D G
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

Hope you didn't get the battery draining 4k screen...  And 16gb of ram isn't necessary for most anyone.  You can easily replace the ssd yourself if you really need 1tb internal, but why not get a samsung t3/t5 external ssd?  That is awfully expensive anyhow for a laptop...

Yoga 920 for $1100 plus tax

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-920-2-in-1-13-9-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-bronze/6061500.p?skuId=6061500

Spectre x360 13.3" was $999 plus tax for black friday, but now is $1249 plus tax

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-hp-finish-in-natural-silver/6080237.p?skuId=6080237

Or buy the spectre x360 15" 8th that is known working by 4Chip4...  (assuming there really is an issue with the 13" compatibility - I may even "borrow" one from best buy to test it with my HP Omen Accelerator)

I could mail it to you too to help because I don't understand why you spend so much on it...

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ (a video card)@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

ReplyQuote
Alessandro De Conno
(@alessandro_de_conno)
Eminent Member

Cause I live in Switzerland, not US, converted its approx 1600usd ant thats cheap. With my specs we pay here arround 2000usd with no discounts:

https://www.brack.ch/hp-notebook-spectre-x360-13-640962

No need to borrow, I can double confirm its not working so far. As soon I have an update I will write it down here. 

I noticed a big diffrence in playing Shadow of War with the i7 7500 16gb spectre vs yoga 720 i7 8550u 8gb. With 16gb i could set the texture details on Ultra, while with 8gb "only" to high.
So in coming games it will be a benefit. And Rams / CPU you cant upgrade, its soldered. SSD can change, but the one built originally from HP is already fast one.

2017 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
D G
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

I was offering to help you purchase something from US if it would save you considerable amount.  I would also help by "borrowing" a spectre x360 13 8th gen to troubleshoot with my HP Omen Accelerator once I get my setup going.

For iGPU memory allocation matters for the VRAM, but you can change that in windows or the bios...  But that doesn't matter when you are running eGPU!

Yes, the SSD is fast with the OEM version of the 960 Evo...  Correct the RAM is soldered, but 16gb isn't worth it for most anyone...  I have upgraded mobile CPUs in laptops before so it depends...

I have my doubts in your "double confirm" because you don't seem as knowledgeable as you believe yourself...

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ (a video card)@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

ReplyQuote
Alessandro De Conno
(@alessandro_de_conno)
Eminent Member

I have the confirm from 2 employes in HP, one I chatted in with FB Support, the other I called HP.  This are facts. Yours are "doubts". 

So if someone read this before buying the new spectre and accelerator, at this point, he dont get disappointed that it doesnt work and loose hours in trying to fix it.
Thats what forums are for, right? 

2017 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

To avoid any broken telephones and lost in translation issues (can't work, won't work, didn't work, isn't officially supported (yet), etc), let's try to be a bit more precise. "new Spectre" is a pretty broad term as it describes a range of devices, some of which (like the 15" variant) are already known to run with the Omen Accelerator out of the box, and we have several implementation guides with other enclosures with that exact Spectre working just fine.

@itsage do you still have the Accelerator available by any chance? Just wondering as I've seen you've done a reviews with the 13" 8th gen x360 Spectre and the Accelerator as well.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

D G liked
ReplyQuote
D G
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

Customer and Tech support at companies don't always really know what is going on.  Look at the forum posts of a few different Razer employees confirming incorrect information about the new Core V2.  Likewise when I called Lenovo and chatted with tech support they both gave incorrect answers about the thunderbolt lanes for Yoga 920.

I will test it myself when I find the time.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Be patient if this is your first try with eGPU. We're very much early adopters of Thunderbolt 3 eGFX. Tech Support from first party is not always up-to-speed. Besides the boutique Thunderbolt vendors such as AKiTiO, Mantiz, and Sonnet I highly doubt support staff at large companies have sufficient training on external graphics.

@4chip4, unfortunately I don't have the OMEN Accelerator anymore. The 13-AE012DX has worked very well with a few eGPU enclosures I have for testing. The Intel Thunderbolt Software came from the factory is 16.3.61.275.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

4chip4 liked
ReplyQuote
max
 max
(@max)

This is a firmware issue on the Omen Acc. HP support has verified that the latest 13" Spectre X360 won't work with the Omen Acc. until they release a new firmware. Crazy but since they have no time frame I would go with another solution. 

2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
D G
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

Really odd that HP offers a bundle that is incompatible.  Probably didn't test that in house before,  huh?  They must not sell any of these bundles or get lots of bad reviews/returns:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-13-laptop-omen-by-hp-accelerator-shell-bundle-spectre-x360-13-accelerator-kit?pStoreID=epp

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13" Laptop + OMEN by HP Accelerator Shell Bundle

ReplyQuote
Alessandro De Conno
(@alessandro_de_conno)
Eminent Member

Yes thats a very funny bundle 😀

Lets just wait till they get a new firmware, would be a nice christmas present 🙂

ReplyQuote
 of  32