US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock

Notifications
Clear all

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  32
  RSS

Jannis Liebe
(@jannis_liebe)

Working fine on Dell Xps 9550, Asus gtx 1060,2tbhdd.. Charging also.. Great product, just not that portable and noisy in idle

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ondra Urban
(@ondra_urban)

Hey guys, I just managed to get the OMEN working on a 2017 MBP 13 nTB in MacOS and partially in BootCamp Windows (it recognized the card, but froze on reboot). I'm running with a EVGA GTX 980.

The trouble is, the enclosure is not charging my laptop, not even keeping a charge. In MacOS the charging icon doesn't even change to the lightning icon and just stays on full battery power. In Windows, it says "plugged in, not charging", but it just keeps draining battery fast, so it definitely isn't getting any juice. I tried to use the supplied cable with my MB charger and it works completely fine. I also tried to disconnect all the peripherals connected to the enclosure and leave only the card in, to see if maybe the PSU just isn't pushing enough power, but it didn't change anything.

To all the guys more experienced with TB3. Is there a way to troubleshoot this on my side? Drivers perhaps? Firmware for the OMEN? Or does it mean that the unit is probably faulty, even though the graphics card, SSD, USBs and Ethernet work fine?

Thanks for any insight.

UPDATE: I realized that after flipping the cable on the enclosure side, MacOS would display "Battery is not charging. Power source: Power Adapter". Unfortunately, battery still drops very fast in use, so I suppose there's no power coming from the OMEN still.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sprengo
(@sprengo)

Hi everybody,

did anybody get NVidia Gamestream to work via Omen Accelerator eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Amathon
(@amathon)

Hey, just to confirm: I have exactly the same issue - My MacBook Pro is not charging at all.

I am using a 1050 ti without dedicated power connectors - which card are you using?
I followed the instructions at  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/

Did you find a solution already? Is there a firmware update one can try?

ReplyQuote
Gainiac
(@gainiac)

I am currently facing some strange and massively annoying problems with the Omen Accelerator on my Dell XPS 9360.
The first one is that I have to reboot my XPS every time I plug in the Omen after I used the laptop without it.
The second problem is that when I shutdown the XPS with the plugged in accelerator and start it on the next day, everything is lagging and hell. I need to unplug, reboot, plug in and reboot again to get it back working.

Has anybody an idea what this could be and how I can solve it?
I am at the point where I am thinking about getting a mini itx for gaming again...

ReplyQuote
kUMters
(@kumters)

Hello,
have you checked running processes? Sometimes I find that OMEN application/process will hang up and is eating all my CPU...

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Is it an actual shutdown, or is it just sleep/hybernate/lid close? NVidia drivers have given me hell for standby, but proper reboots/shutdowns worked fine.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
Ondra Urban
(@ondra_urban)

@amathon

No, unfortunately I did not. I got a replacement Omen and the issue persisted, so I returned it. While researching the issue, I stumbled upon a thread on HP support forums where someone suggested that the issue might be connected to a difference in hardware/firmware forced by an EU Directive governing electronic devices. Are you from the EU by chance? ( I am ).

Essentially, not even latest HP Specters were working with the Omen due to this limitation. HP is supposedly working on a firmware update to fix this issue, but I have no idea if they've already released it or not, since I don't even have an Omen at the moment.

Hope this helped and good luck.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

FWIW Recently there has been a new Omen Accelerator firmware published (2018 Feb 16). The changelog is unfortunately not too descriptive, so can't say if helps with any of the issues above (only the 8th gen 13" Spectre x360 seems to have the issue, I have the 15" which worked fine from day 1). I'm not sure why the regulations would apply differently between 13" and 15", but then - IANAL.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
Golgo
(@golgo)
Eminent Member

Does the Firmware Update work for you guys?
I always thought, that the old Firmware Update didn't work, cause every time I started the update, it would show the 104 version on my Accelerator.
Now the new FW updater has a feedback prompt, that confirms, that the FW update did not work.
Does anyone have similar experiences or knows a way to solve this problem?

Thx a lot!
Golgo

ReplyQuote
 of  32