US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock

Notifications
Clear all

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  32
  RSS

Gordon Fitzsimmons
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)

So I did test and went back to the Omen's egpu native ports. Still laggy, though not as bad as I remember 🙁

The bus is fully saturated for me - Sony DAC, gaming mouse, mechanical keyboard, ethernet and monitor's 2 port USB hub. Maybe if you are only using mouse + keyboard, the lag will appear gone. Oh well, back to the USB 3 hub it is.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

For those having install issues with the build from February (sp85343) - the newer version of the Omen Accelerator firmware is dated March 28 (unfortunately the version number of the installer itself still seems to be 1.00A) and can be downloaded here: 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/15776606/swItemId/cp-207616-1

... which has in the fixes section something that sounds related, hopefully this helps people with the aforementioned install issues (it's pretty much the only thing the changelog mentions) :

Fixes an issue where an update to the accelerator firmware does not install properly.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
kisscoool18
(@kisscoool18)

Posted by: 4chip4

For those having install issues with the build from February (sp85343) - the newer version of the Omen Accelerator firmware is dated March 28 (unfortunately the version number of the installer itself still seems to be 1.00A) is here: 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/15776606/swItemId/cp-207616-1

... which has in the fixes section something that sounds related, hopefully this helps people with the aforementioned install issues:

Fixes an issue where an update to the accelerator firmware does not install properly.

This new firmware/installer solve the installation issue for me, thank you Smile

But I still have some bugs/crashes on shutdown/sleep/start.
However I found a workaround that seems to work fine for me : "safe remove"/eject all related devices before shutting down or sleep the PC.
I'm looking for a script to do it automatically, as it's a nice workaround with minor drawback.

2018 13" Dell XPS 13 9370 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + Win10 [build link]  

4chip4 liked
ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

FWIW I looked at some of the traces of sleep-related crashes as I was seeing them, too, and they seem all to be GPU driver-related. It seems (unsurprisingly?) few of the drivers can reliably accommodate losing/gaining video cards and related devices while in sleep/hibernate, so I doubt much help will come from the enclosure level, it's going to be likely the case until eGPUs get more mainstream and NVidia/AMD/etc put more effort in addressing those issues.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
adrianr
(@adrianr)
Eminent Member

I haven't been paying much attention to the eGPU world for a while, happily running my modded Akitio TB2 with my HP Spectre X360 13" without problems, but by chance I saw today that, on the HP UK store, the Omen Accelerator is for sale at 50% off. It's currently out of stock so no idea if it's discontinued now or will return at with this deal again or at the full price. A bargain has been had so if you're interested in this eGPU I'd keep a regular eye on the HP website.

HP Spectre x360 13 2017, Apple TB3-TB2 adapter, Akitio Thunder2 boards in an old ATX case, Seasonic ATX PSU, Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

ReplyQuote
mats
 mats
(@mats)

For those that are interested, the laggy keyboard and mouse issue is gone on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th gen 2017. See my build post for details here...

2017 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 5 [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  32