US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock

Notifications
Clear all

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  32
  RSS

selsey
(@selsey)

It looks like the legs are attached with a set of screws and so should be removable. The picture here shows the screws on the inside of the case.

20170730 163301

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
BlackJack84
(@blackjack84)
Eminent Member

Posted by: 4chip4
Posted by: BlackJack84

Not to mention that keeping all else equal (box size, i.e. thermals), just tilting it 45° sideways means +42% footprint for no other purpose than, err, aesthetics. So to say.
Neither it can be stacked with, say, an external hard drive.
My inner engineer is hurting.

One tiny note from a fellow engineer - the box size being equal does not imply equal thermals.  Without trying to imply any specific numerical differences on the Omen itself, tilting a case *can* improve thermals (adds more area(s) that can be used for air intake/exhaust, eliminates dead bottom areas, plus, just for completeness, fins can add radiation area to the box). Now, the *amount* of thermal improvement over a flat box that you get just by tilting is probably not going to be a stellar, so I agree the visual is likely a far stronger component there than raw engineering (plus, there is the family resemblance since the "big" Omen X is also tilted).

But then you wouldn't be "keeping all else equal" the way I said 🙂
Say, imagine having the case up straight, but keeping the fins as footstands so that the bottom surface is raised from the desk rather than sitting directly on it, à la Mantiz Venus (in fact, it has an exhaust fan at the bottom).
I agree box size isn't everything but once orientation is truly the only variable we're looking at, I'd honestly be surprised to find any measurable difference in thermals.
But hey, after all originality has its importance too, now that the eGPU market is getting more and more crowded. And that is something we can all rejoice at 😉

2016 12.5" Razer Blade Stealth (i7-7500U) + GTX1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

FYI, anyone looking for get one in the UK might be able to get a bit of cash back from Top Cash Back. 

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/hp/

Haven't made my order yet so I can't say if the Accelerator is valid for this cash back offer. But I will report back went I do. 

However it is currently Out of Stock atm. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Posted by: BlackJack84

But then you wouldn't be "keeping all else equal" the way I said Smile
Say, imagine having the case up straight, but keeping the fins as footstands so that the bottom surface is raised from the desk rather than sitting directly on it, à la Mantiz Venus (in fact, it has an exhaust fan at the bottom).
I agree box size isn't everything but once orientation is truly the only variable we're looking at, I'd honestly be surprised to find any measurable difference in thermals.
But hey, after all originality has its importance too, now that the eGPU market is getting more and more crowded. And that is something we can all rejoice at 😉

I'll certainly agree that doing it (thermals, flow in particular) *right* trumps any specific orientation (or even shape as there might be benefits in not being boxy). FWIW Exhaust fans on the bottom feels a bit wrong (you want to be scooping cool air UP and not kicking up the dust from beneath you), but then, that's what lab tests are for Smile

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
kev24uk
(@kev24uk)

I just phoned HP to ask about stock and they've emailed me back to say the product is discontinued and will no longer be available in the UK!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Did some research on the fins. They are certainly not MEANT to be removed, and removing them will likely void your warranty (ask HP channels if in doubt). I would advise against removing them unless your life (real, not in-game) depends on it. You almost certainly WILL misplace screws and break plastic parts unintended unless you're experienced with taking consumer electronics apart.

That said, it certainly can be done (you'll only need a screwdriver), see picture.

- You'll need to remove a TON of screws, effectively dismantling the whole case

- The fin under the graphics card is a bit easier, esp if you have an L or curved screwdriver

- The fin under the motherboard requires the removal of both the PSU and, well, the motherboard

- The fins themselves are held in place by 4 pairs of (quite tight) screws, 2 plastic stoppers at the end and adhesive foil

After done, you'll be left with an unsightly gash on the sides (see image), this will certainly need some sort of filter/mesh or there will be lots of unwanted stuff coming in the box.

And one thermal rub - the passive exhausts on the box are on the underside of the Omen, ie on the finned sides (where the GPU and motherboard are, respectively), so you would have to keep it upside-down to keep all the vents open (plus, you'd want a spacer between the box and the surface).

Long story short - doable, but not recommended.

WP 20170731 12 27 34 Pro LI lo

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Posted by: kev24uk

I just phoned HP to ask about stock and they've emailed me back to say the product is discontinued and will no longer be available in the UK!

That sounds super-odd - it's out of *stock* in the UK, but it's certainly on sale in other countries (I can see it at least on the German store, even if w a 10 day backorder). 

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Did some research on the fins. They are certainly not MEANT to be removed, and removing them will likely void your warranty (ask HP channels if in doubt). I would advise against removing them unless your life (real, not in-game) depends on it. You almost certainly WILL misplace screws and break plastic parts unintended unless you're experienced with taking consumer electronics apart.

That said, it certainly can be done (you'll only need a screwdriver), see picture.

- You'll need to remove a TON of screws, effectively dismantling the whole case

- The fin under the graphics card is a bit easier, esp if you have an L or curved screwdriver

- The fin under the motherboard requires the removal of both the PSU and, well, the motherboard

- The fins themselves are held in place by 4 pairs of (quite tight) screws, 2 plastic stoppers at the end and adhesive foil

After done, you'll be left with an unsightly gash on the sides (see image), this will certainly need some sort of filter/mesh or there will be lots of unwanted stuff coming in the box.

And one thermal rub - the passive exhausts on the box are on the underside of the Omen, ie on the finned sides (where the GPU and motherboard are, respectively), so you would have to keep it upside-down to keep all the vents open (plus, you'd want a spacer between the box and the surface).

Long story short - doable, but not recommended.

WP 20170731 12 27 34 Pro LI lo

Wow I guess they really want those feet to stay on. 

Thanks for the information :). 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@4chip4 Thank you for the detailed information on removing the legs. The OMEN by HP Accelerator looks like a very well-built unit. I'm looking forward to seeing its availability in the US so that I can review one.

Have you got a chance to check its CUDA-Z numbers?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
Eminent Member

Posted by: kev24uk

That sounds super-odd - it's out of *stock* in the UK, but it's certainly on sale in other countries (I can see it at least on the German store, even if w a 10 day backorder). 

I just spoke to HP UK on the phone and she seemed confident that it would be back in stock soon. She is going to ask the logistics department and email me in an hour.  

ReplyQuote
 of  32