US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

Page 4 / 9 Prev Next
  RSS

4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
August 18, 2017 2:57 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@4chip4 Thank you for sharing the link. The Accelerator App looks like a very nice feature of this enclosure. Any word on when it's available outside the EU?

No idea, unfortunately 🙁

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + [email protected] (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
August 18, 2017 3:10 pm  

I've now updated the firmware/software/etc and installed the Accelerator app and now everything works as expected on my Spectre (all displays show up as they should, no need to disable/enable devices in device manager, even CUDA-Z now works without any manual trickery). Performance hasn't changed (even though I saw a new firmware being applied) but as my link is limited by the hosts x2 TB port, I'm not sure if I'd see any difference anyway.

The Accelerator app actually does two things:

- Switch GPUs, you can select which GPU is active/default
- Prioritize/block network traffic on the Omen's Ethernet port (presumably so gaming latency wouldn't suffer due to other apps deciding it's a great moment to start downloading updates and whatnot). I'm connecting via WiFi, hence the error message below.

Screenshots for those interested:

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + [email protected] (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
jayfk
(@jayfk)
August 18, 2017 3:57 pm  

@4chip4 could you check your network adapter settings? Is the Omen ethernet port showing up there?

Also, did all the drivers you linked to earlier installed without a problem? 

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
August 18, 2017 6:48 pm  
Posted by: jayfk

@4chip4 could you check your network adapter settings? Is the Omen ethernet port showing up there?

Also, did all the drivers you linked to earlier installed without a problem? 

I did not install the network card softpaq as the network card seemed to work even without it (ie managed to get the drivers via Microsoft on its own). It shows up as a USB Realtek GbE device.

I installed all the other softpaqs (TB firmware, TB driver and Omen app) and they installed without any errors/issues, was a yes-ok-next-finish affair.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
August 18, 2017 7:10 pm  

... and I can confirm the Oculus Rift works with the Omen Accelerator (one of the reasons I needed it in the first place). I ended up connecting one of the sensors to the laptop directly, but that might be just because I have less bandwidth on my Thunderbolt to begin with.

EDIT:
The winning combination for the Oculus Rift + Omen accelerator was to use a powered USB3.0 hub attached to my Spectres USB3-A port and connect the sensors to that, the USB cable from the Rift itself remains plugged into the Omen. I tried a couple of combinations, but due to bandwidth and/or power limits in all other setups the sensors/HMD were intermittently losing connection. Also, disabling USB selective suspend settings if plugged in (in the power advanced settings) seemed to help.

ReplyQuote
gburns53
(@gburns53)
August 28, 2017 2:44 pm  

Anyone know if the 11.42/29.0 inch/cm length limit of GPU cards is accurate? Considering the Accelerator's size it's a bit frustrating.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 28, 2017 7:51 pm  

It's available in the US through Tiger Direct for $332.99.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
gburns53
(@gburns53)
August 28, 2017 10:21 pm  

It's available in the US through Tiger Direct for $332.99.

I saw that. I was a click away from ordering. It still doesn't feel right since it was supposed to be $299 with options. I want to see what GPU option they're offering. I might go ahead anyway, but it gives me pause that no one else is selling them yet.  

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
August 28, 2017 11:10 pm  

HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough

DISCLAIMER: This mod is in no way encouraged, condoned or supported by HP, you're doing it on your own, and will likely void warranty if you apply it. If it breaks, burns your house down, creates a tiny black hole or any has any undesired outcome - it's on you.

Omen Accelerator stand removal

EDIT: For best results, open the above maximized/in new tab, the forum sizing is confusing Sway a bit 

4Strings, lickwidsnake, kotlos and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
gburns53
(@gburns53)
August 29, 2017 8:57 pm  

Well I bought it for $350 with tax. I'm about a grand deep, so I hope it gives my HP Spectre 360 desktop horsepower while on the couch!

1. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080D5X-8GD - $510.00
  2. Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD - $90.00
  3. Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) 2m  - $65.00
  4. CAT-7 50ft - $20.00

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
JRSerjeant
(@jrserjeant)
September 4, 2017 1:07 pm  

Back in stock on the UK HP Site.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1QY70EA&opt=ABU&mastersku=1QY70EA&masteropt=ABU&sel=DTP&

TopCashBack also has some HP cash back deal atm:

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/hp/

4chip4 liked
ReplyQuote
lickwidsnake
(@lickwidsnake)
September 7, 2017 6:02 pm  

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Has this confirmed that this will work with a Razer Blade Stealth (and charge it)?

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
September 8, 2017 9:20 am  
Posted by: lickwidsnake

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. Has this confirmed that this will work with a Razer Blade Stealth (and charge it)?

It will work as well as any other TB3 enclosure with the razer, there is nothing special about the Omen Accelerator in this regard. In other words, the real question is if the Razer Stealth has all the right/standard Thunderbolt bits and if it supports Power Delivery. If yes, the Accelerator will do fine. 

ReplyQuote
(@gu)
September 12, 2017 5:09 am  

Anyone with a XPS-9550 have already tried this?

Problem with 9530/9550 is the NVM16 firmware, dell just doesn't update to later versions and inside the Thunderbolt Controller software it shows no external GPUs support, even with the latest dell firmware on 07Aug 2017. PLUS mine doesn't show PD version in the controller app.

Some with Akitio Node have used the firmware from Akitio to upgrade to the NVM18 and be able to use. Some just ignore the warning and also able to use eGPUs.

I tried to install TB firmware from HP Accelerator (SP80611) but it shows "this computer does not fit to this update" (the meaning because this was not written in English).

I preferred to pay a little bit more to get the additional SATA3 port if supported, otherwise I will buy AkiTio Node, avoiding to take the risk.

Sorry for the bad English, and hope you can understand me.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
September 13, 2017 3:49 pm  
Posted by: gburns53

Anyone know if the 11.42/29.0 inch/cm length limit of GPU cards is accurate? Considering the Accelerator's size it's a bit frustrating.

That's a bit of a conservative measure, I presume to allow for enough clearance for good airflow, the enclosure is certainly roomy. In terms of physically placing something in the case, the limit is around 13.3/34 inch/cm (see image). If the card is over 30cm and extends vertically significantly above the profile, you might need to lose the red mood... err... gaming lights to get those last couple of cm.

ReplyQuote
lickwidsnake
(@lickwidsnake)
September 13, 2017 4:36 pm  
Posted by: 4chip4
Posted by: lickwidsnake

It will work as well as any other TB3 enclosure with the razer, there is nothing special about the Omen Accelerator in this regard. In other words, the real question is if the Razer Stealth has all the right/standard Thunderbolt bits and if it supports Power Delivery. If yes, the Accelerator will do fine. 

Thanks. It's out of stock right now, but I was able to place an order and it will ship as soon as it becomes available. 

ReplyQuote
CruxOmega
(@cruxomega)
September 13, 2017 5:29 pm  

Is there anywhere else where it's on sale in the US other than the soldout tiger direct page? Also, is there and official wide release date? 

ReplyQuote
kUMters
(@kumters)
September 14, 2017 12:30 am  

Hi guys, based on this experience  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/brief-experience-with-the-razer-blade-stealth-and-devil-box/

I think it will work.

On other hand I just ordered HP OMEN Accelerator for myself to use it with my new Razer Blade Stealth. Give me a week to receive it, unpack and test. I will give you more feedback for sure:)

4chip4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
September 14, 2017 10:21 am  
Posted by: CruxOmega

Is there anywhere else where it's on sale in the US other than the soldout tiger direct page? Also, is there and official wide release date? 

Um, seems to be available on Amazon (in the US)? 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Accelerator-Shell-GA1-1000-Black/dp/B0747XDG8T/

lickwidsnake, CruxOmega, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
CruxOmega
(@cruxomega)
September 14, 2017 3:02 pm  
Posted by: 4chip4

Um, seems to be available on Amazon (in the US)? 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Accelerator-Shell-GA1-1000-Black/dp/B0747XDG8T/

Huh, I searched Newegg, tiger direct, google, Frys, and HPs website, but I didn't think to look on Amazon. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Mordo
(@mordo)
September 16, 2017 9:57 pm  

Hello guys! I just received my omen from amazon.de and im currently using it with my xps 9560 and gtx 1050ti (until i get a 1080/1080ti, planning to upgrade somewhere in the future from my lg34"[email protected] to some 34" ultrawide [email protected]/144hz since i couldnt decide yet to buy an existing one so if u wanna give some advice about this problem aswell would be awesome).

I was reading the thread and i wanted to know if the omen takes full advantage of the gpu with my current laptop, i dont know a lot about tb controllers, but from what i can see in hwinfo it has pcie x4, is it the maximum we can get right now on laptops? Does it bottleneck anyhow the gpu? If so can u tell me if there are any better choices as a host for the omen(laptops)? Thank u in advance, best regards!

Sorry for the external link, looks like im so dumb i cant find the insert image button on the menu..

ReplyQuote
gburns53
(@gburns53)
September 18, 2017 2:15 am  

Unfortunately I'm unable to get my Spectre 36o to recognize the Seagate 2 TB Fire Cuda SSHD put in to the Omen. Is this a limitation somehow? 

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 18, 2017 7:32 pm  

Unfortunately I'm unable to get my Spectre 36o to recognize the Seagate 2 TB Fire Cuda SSHD put in to the Omen. Is this a limitation somehow? 

Have you checked in "Computer Management" to see if the drive shows up? You may have to format it before you can use the drive.

@Mordo, unfortunately your XPS 9560 uses a x2 PCIe configuration for Thunderbolt 3 connection. Its eGPU hosting is therefore limited. Please read this discussion for more information.

ReplyQuote
CruxOmega
(@cruxomega)
September 18, 2017 9:04 pm  

So I installed mine today with a GTX 770 on my HP specter x360 and I'm getting an error 43. Accelerator is reading it as being active and working, but it's obviously not when I try playing anything.

ReplyQuote
CruxOmega
(@cruxomega)
September 19, 2017 2:50 am  

Ok, 770 is no longer showing an error and the Nvidia driver updater picked it up and updated its driver. However, nothing else is picking up on it and is using the onboard graphics. If I disable all the onboard graphics, the games pick up on basic rendering and not the card. Any advice?

ReplyQuote
CruxOmega
(@cruxomega)
September 19, 2017 2:50 am  

Ok, 770 is no longer showing an error and the Nvidia driver updater picked it up and updated its driver. However, nothing else is picking up on it and is using the onboard graphics. If I disable all the onboard graphics, the games pick up on basic rendering and not the card. Any advice?

To clarify, only my Intel HD Graphics is being run no matter what combination of turning on/off I try. Essentially it's running the HD first in the order from HD to the 940MX then the 770

ReplyQuote
Mordo
(@mordo)
September 19, 2017 9:51 am  

Have you checked in "Computer Management" to see if the drive shows up? You may have to format it before you can use the drive.

@Mordo, unfortunately your XPS 9560 uses a x2 PCIe configuration for Thunderbolt 3 connection. Its eGPU hosting is therefore limited. Please read this discussion for more information.

I ended up getting a 980ti waterforce afterall since I could find 1080 aio watercooled, from my tests (timespy and superposition since they use new engines and are up to date) I can only see 10% decrease performance against the gpu installed into a desktop computer. Does it mean the x2 isnt the bottleneck since I only use egpu with external monitor? Or I should get even more out of it if I had a x4 tb3 laptop?

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
September 20, 2017 2:40 pm  

To clarify, only my Intel HD Graphics is being run no matter what combination of turning on/off I try. Essentially it's running the HD first in the order from HD to the 940MX then the 770

Are you using the Omen accelerator app? It's quite useful if for whatever reason apps have trouble using the right GPU.

Posted by: Mordo

I ended up getting a 980ti waterforce afterall since I could find 1080 aio watercooled, from my tests (timespy and superposition since they use new engines and are up to date) I can only see 10% decrease performance against the gpu installed into a desktop computer. Does it mean the x2 isnt the bottleneck since I only use egpu with external monitor? Or I should get even more out of it if I had a x4 tb3 laptop?

The effect of a x2 limit is a bit trickier to gauge than a classic benchmark, as it does not slow down the card "equally" in aspects. For example - when starting heavy apps/games that need a lot of resources (VR games, etc), the difference is quite noticeable (especially if you are loading things from a disk in the Omen). Once loaded and running, though, the difference is a lot smaller in FPS terms (certainly not "half" the performance). So yes, it's a tradeoff, but a very light one for the vast majority of games/cases.

Where I found x2 to be a very serious bottleneck is if you're rendering to an internal high-res display. Many of the games, f.ex have 60FPS+ on a GPU connected display (or Oculus), but fall to 15-20FPS when rendering back to the laptop in 4K.

(all of the above are personal experiences of running an Accelerator with a x2 laptop and a GTX970, YMMV)

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
John_Petrucci
(@john_petrucci)
Eminent Member
September 21, 2017 12:46 pm  
Posted by: selsey

Mine arrived on Friday, but have only just had a chance to get it out. Here are the first few pics:

Hi, the PSU is standard PC connections and dimensions??

Thanks!

STAFF eGPU.it

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 21, 2017 1:04 pm  

@John_Petrucci, the PSU is an ATX size. It has 1x 24-pin power cable and 2x 6+2-pin PCIe power cables.

ReplyQuote
CruxOmega
(@cruxomega)
September 22, 2017 6:50 pm  

I figured it out, I'm an idiot. I didn't have an external monitor plugged in.

ReplyQuote
pristavni
(@quang_dang)
September 24, 2017 1:42 am  

got an x360and it works without external screen as well !  

ReplyQuote
gburns53
(@gburns53)
September 29, 2017 6:40 pm  

Yes the computer has no idea there is a drive in the omen accelerator. Computer mgnt and disk mgnt clueless. It's not a formatting issue ,I've reinstalled drivers and software.

I do not know how people are getting it to work with a hard drive. Is it because it's a 2gb sshd? It's a hybrid with a 8 or 16 gb flash. Is there a limit? I've heard of devices having limits on how big of storage drives they can recognize, . though I have no idea why. 

Has anyone installed a drive? What was your experience? What steps we're required, cables, software installation restarts

I will say the network cable was a breeze. I plugged in a new cat 7 from router to the omen, turned off my computer WiFi and now 0 connection lags/issues while gaming. 🙂

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
September 29, 2017 10:03 pm  

Nothing special needed, I have a 1TB SSHD in it, plugged in, I didn't even need to reboot, after a few beeps and (automatic) driver installs the drive appeared. I still needed to partition/format it from disk manager, but nothing apart from that.

Make sure:
a) that you fully connected the SATA plug (I know it's trivial, but...)
b) that you haven't accidentally damaged/pulled the ribbon cable connecting to the Omen motherboard

ReplyQuote
(@nic3)
October 1, 2017 8:10 am  

Hello everybody,

I've some questions about the OMEN. 

Is it working (Lan,USB,SATA) with OSX High Sierra 10.13 and Windows 10 in a Bootcamp Solution?

Which GPU would you recommended for this Setup?

Thank you for your answers.

ReplyQuote
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)
October 1, 2017 10:48 pm  

I can confirm laggy USB & Ethernet ports on the Omen 🙁 Just posted the below on the HP support forums. I also had to switch to NVidia sound as my Sony PHA-3 DAC was crackling via USB. Seems to happen more when the screen is busy or changing quite a lot, like during a game. My Omen's mouse flickers a lot too. This is my first post here, so hello every one 🙂

I have a 2017 13" Spectre x360 hooked up to the Omen Accelerator. The USB & Ethernet is very laggy on the Accelerator Shell's ports.

I cannot game online using the intended config. Ethernet is very laggy and my mouse and keyboard flicker quite a lot and suffer i/o delays. I have all the latest firmwares, drivers et al. I am using an external 4K display, connected via display port. Worth mentioning I have the GTX 1060 GPU and a 4TB drive in the Accelerator - they work fine.

The work-a-round on ethernet dissapears when I switch to wifi. I have just ordered a USB hub to hook directly up the Spectre x360. This work-around should also solve the USB lag. I have read about other eGPUs with USB ports having similar issues.

I should be able to use the features of the product as advertised in an issue free, non-workaround way. It's a shame I can't use the Omen's network accelerator software for example.

Any advice or ideas please?

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 9 Prev Next