Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock

US$299 HP Omen Accelerator TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  9
  RSS

jonah765
(@jonah765)
Eminent Member

looks like a great deal. Is it worth picking this thing up as a first time user?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)

I didn't even think the Omen would support a 1080ti due to power draw!

Re £100 off. As an ex-HPer now Micro Focus employee I got the Omen for £100 off - even with the need for external USB I think it's great value at that price. Just finished a highly enjoyable CoD 1440p session with my 1060 FE. Looking forward to the GeForce 2070 when ever it appears 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@jannis_liebe)

Working fine on Dell Xps 9550, Asus gtx 1060,2tbhdd.. Charging also.. Great product, just not that portable and noisy in idle

ReplyQuote
(@ondra_urban)

Hey guys, I just managed to get the OMEN working on a 2017 MBP 13 nTB in MacOS and partially in BootCamp Windows (it recognized the card, but froze on reboot). I'm running with a EVGA GTX 980.

The trouble is, the enclosure is not charging my laptop, not even keeping a charge. In MacOS the charging icon doesn't even change to the lightning icon and just stays on full battery power. In Windows, it says "plugged in, not charging", but it just keeps draining battery fast, so it definitely isn't getting any juice. I tried to use the supplied cable with my MB charger and it works completely fine. I also tried to disconnect all the peripherals connected to the enclosure and leave only the card in, to see if maybe the PSU just isn't pushing enough power, but it didn't change anything.

To all the guys more experienced with TB3. Is there a way to troubleshoot this on my side? Drivers perhaps? Firmware for the OMEN? Or does it mean that the unit is probably faulty, even though the graphics card, SSD, USBs and Ethernet work fine?

Thanks for any insight.

UPDATE: I realized that after flipping the cable on the enclosure side, MacOS would display "Battery is not charging. Power source: Power Adapter". Unfortunately, battery still drops very fast in use, so I suppose there's no power coming from the OMEN still.

ReplyQuote
sprengo
(@sprengo)

Hi everybody,

did anybody get NVidia Gamestream to work via Omen Accelerator eGPU?

ReplyQuote
Amathon
(@amathon)

Hey, just to confirm: I have exactly the same issue - My MacBook Pro is not charging at all.

I am using a 1050 ti without dedicated power connectors - which card are you using?
I followed the instructions at  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/

Did you find a solution already? Is there a firmware update one can try?

ReplyQuote
Gainiac
(@gainiac)

I am currently facing some strange and massively annoying problems with the Omen Accelerator on my Dell XPS 9360.
The first one is that I have to reboot my XPS every time I plug in the Omen after I used the laptop without it.
The second problem is that when I shutdown the XPS with the plugged in accelerator and start it on the next day, everything is lagging and hell. I need to unplug, reboot, plug in and reboot again to get it back working.

Has anybody an idea what this could be and how I can solve it?
I am at the point where I am thinking about getting a mini itx for gaming again...

ReplyQuote
kUMters
(@kumters)

Hello,
have you checked running processes? Sometimes I find that OMEN application/process will hang up and is eating all my CPU...

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Is it an actual shutdown, or is it just sleep/hybernate/lid close? NVidia drivers have given me hell for standby, but proper reboots/shutdowns worked fine.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote
(@ondra_urban)

@amathon

No, unfortunately I did not. I got a replacement Omen and the issue persisted, so I returned it. While researching the issue, I stumbled upon a thread on HP support forums where someone suggested that the issue might be connected to a difference in hardware/firmware forced by an EU Directive governing electronic devices. Are you from the EU by chance? ( I am ).

Essentially, not even latest HP Specters were working with the Omen due to this limitation. HP is supposedly working on a firmware update to fix this issue, but I have no idea if they've already released it or not, since I don't even have an Omen at the moment.

Hope this helped and good luck.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

FWIW Recently there has been a new Omen Accelerator firmware published (2018 Feb 16). The changelog is unfortunately not too descriptive, so can't say if helps with any of the issues above (only the 8th gen 13" Spectre x360 seems to have the issue, I have the 15" which worked fine from day 1). I'm not sure why the regulations would apply differently between 13" and 15", but then - IANAL.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)

ReplyQuote
Golgo
(@golgo)

Does the Firmware Update work for you guys?
I always thought, that the old Firmware Update didn't work, cause every time I started the update, it would show the 104 version on my Accelerator.
Now the new FW updater has a feedback prompt, that confirms, that the FW update did not work.
Does anyone have similar experiences or knows a way to solve this problem?

Thx a lot!
Golgo

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

Went through for me, it's 0126 now (was 0104). Don't see any difference in terms of operation, but I did not have the problems above, so couldn't tell even if there was any difference.

Screenshot (68)

ReplyQuote
kUMters
(@kumters)

>> Does anyone have similar experiences or knows a way to solve this problem?
The same issue for me. I tried it 5 times with two different OMENS...

ReplyQuote
Golgo
(@golgo)

Have you tried updating it again and checked what FW is installed when the update starts?
My update used to end like yours but next time I ran the update again, it was still on 104.

Anyhow it would still be nice to know how to install the FW cause I do have occasional bugs that I'd like to get rid of.

Greets

ReplyQuote
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)

My update initially reports 104 but then refreshes, saying I have 126, matching update version. It states PASS. Then fails update, presumably as already on 126. I also note the versions are 1.0A on HP site.

Device continues to work well. Looking forward to trying a 2080 out next half of the year 🙂

ReplyQuote
sprengo
(@sprengo)

Mine behaves in the same way. At first the update windows states PASS but then an error message pops up.

ReplyQuote
Golgo
(@golgo)

Did anyone find a solution to this? I'm a little disappointed by the sotware support HP offers.
The Omen Accelerator is one of the most promising eGPUs but fails especially when it comes to software (and build quality).

ReplyQuote
kisscoool18
(@kisscoool18)

I've got the same problem : firmware update passes and then shows a error popup...

ReplyQuote
(@k_electron)

Also having the firmware update failure. Any luck with hp support on this?

Also USB devices are lagging. Anyone able to fix that with active tb3 cable?

ReplyQuote
Golgo
(@golgo)

There seems to be a new installer available (march version) on the HP website.
I'll be able to test it tomorrow, maybe share your experience as well 🙂

4chip4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)

Thanks for the alert @golgo. Seems to work. Omen flicks on and off and I get system message saying update has been successful. I note the bin file is the same as the previous update which didn't seem to do much. HP_GA1_10_Accelerator_Shiva_AR_EP_A68_B1_rev25_W_TI83B_020_25_SEC1_sign.bin

The HP note only says "Fixes an issue where an update to the accelerator firmware does not install properly."

I'd try and see if the update fixes the I/O port problem but I can't be bothered - everything is working great with separate USB hub 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@gordon_fitzsimmons)

So I did test and went back to the Omen's egpu native ports. Still laggy, though not as bad as I remember 🙁

The bus is fully saturated for me - Sony DAC, gaming mouse, mechanical keyboard, ethernet and monitor's 2 port USB hub. Maybe if you are only using mouse + keyboard, the lag will appear gone. Oh well, back to the USB 3 hub it is.

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

For those having install issues with the build from February (sp85343) - the newer version of the Omen Accelerator firmware is dated March 28 (unfortunately the version number of the installer itself still seems to be 1.00A) and can be downloaded here: 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/15776606/swItemId/cp-207616-1

... which has in the fixes section something that sounds related, hopefully this helps people with the aforementioned install issues (it's pretty much the only thing the changelog mentions) :

Fixes an issue where an update to the accelerator firmware does not install properly.

ReplyQuote
kisscoool18
(@kisscoool18)

Posted by: 4chip4

For those having install issues with the build from February (sp85343) - the newer version of the Omen Accelerator firmware is dated March 28 (unfortunately the version number of the installer itself still seems to be 1.00A) is here: 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/15776606/swItemId/cp-207616-1

... which has in the fixes section something that sounds related, hopefully this helps people with the aforementioned install issues:

Fixes an issue where an update to the accelerator firmware does not install properly.

This new firmware/installer solve the installation issue for me, thank you 🙂

But I still have some bugs/crashes on shutdown/sleep/start.
However I found a workaround that seems to work fine for me : "safe remove"/eject all related devices before shutting down or sleep the PC.
I'm looking for a script to do it automatically, as it's a nice workaround with minor drawback.

4chip4 liked
ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member

FWIW I looked at some of the traces of sleep-related crashes as I was seeing them, too, and they seem all to be GPU driver-related. It seems (unsurprisingly?) few of the drivers can reliably accommodate losing/gaining video cards and related devices while in sleep/hibernate, so I doubt much help will come from the enclosure level, it's going to be likely the case until eGPUs get more mainstream and NVidia/AMD/etc put more effort in addressing those issues.

ReplyQuote
adrianr
(@adrianr)
Eminent Member

I haven't been paying much attention to the eGPU world for a while, happily running my modded Akitio TB2 with my HP Spectre X360 13" without problems, but by chance I saw today that, on the HP UK store, the Omen Accelerator is for sale at 50% off. It's currently out of stock so no idea if it's discontinued now or will return at with this deal again or at the full price. A bargain has been had so if you're interested in this eGPU I'd keep a regular eye on the HP website.

HP Spectre x360 13 2017, Apple TB3-TB2 adapter, Akitio Thunder2 boards in an old ATX case, Seasonic ATX PSU, Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

ReplyQuote
mats
 mats
(@mats)

For those that are interested, the laggy keyboard and mouse issue is gone on my Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th gen 2017. See my build post for details here...

ReplyQuote
 of  9