Notifications
Clear all

HP Omen Accelerator Poor Engineer Design  

of  4
  RSS

D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

So it is great that the HP Omen Accelerator has an ATX power supply that you can more easily swap out, right?  Well, the EVGA G3 550/650/750/850/1000W of 150mm length will not even work because it blocks the thunderbolt board's motherboard power connector.  They should also flip the power supply and corresponding screw holes so we can have our replacement power supply fan blowing air out of the case rather than to the back of the video card.  Anyone know of a higher wattage and efficiency ATX power supply that is shorter than 150mm length?

Picture:

You also can not swap the 120mm fan expecting to power from the thunderbolt board because it isn't a normal connector so you would have to power directly from your replacement power supply cables which isn't possible with the supplied power supply and it is evidently not replaceable.

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ (a video card)@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

ReplyQuote
bonbaun
(@bonbaun)

Did you manage to find a compatible PSU? I went to plug in a 1080TI FTW3 DT and realized it takes 2x8 connectors, HP's just has 6+8, and the EVGA 750 G2 I have on hand is too long and blocks the connector like in your picture. Looks like swapping the PSU will be the cheapest option, but the fan will blow onto the graphics card.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

Exactly, fan blowing on graphics card and lack of power/efficiency/connectors is no good.  And even a short 150mm length EVGA G3 is too long which is shorter than the G2 and most ATX power supplies... 

Here is the best list I have found thus far:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1537311/short-psu-list-atx-psus-that-are-160mm-and-shorter-including-non-atx-small-case-friendly-rev-2-june-2015

And I agree these look like the best option at 140mm (but they did mention stiff cables):

https://seasonic.com/product-category/consumer-products/focus-plus/

So I will wait until the Seasonic Focus plus gold drop to the $50-60 range for the 550-750W.  Though the higher wattage and efficiency should produce less heat at same load so the premium of the platinum 850W may be worth it to you...  I am only going to run a 1060 3gb to 1070 Ti.

ONLY 140mm ATX PSU will fit.

14" Lenovo Yoga 920+ (a video card)@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10+ThrottleStop+Nekteck TB3 Cable 100W 6ft

ReplyQuote
bonbaun
(@bonbaun)

What I ended up doing was just setting the 750W psu outside and connect the cables through with the top taken off. It looks like crap but it works. Something I noticed though, the airflow in the Omen is pretty bad with the top off, I can't tell if it would be better with it on. The fan hitting the graphics card might actually help keep things cool. The exhaust air is basically room temperature on this specific model. This could change with a different model though.

Other than soldering on a right angle motherboard connector or getting a different card, one of those short PSUs would be our best option. Its too bad, I think I saw the seasonic focus gold go on sale this past black friday.

BTW, when you installed the new power supply, did the on/off switch interfere with the panel? It seemed like that could be an issue.

<

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

So sad you have to do that when the enclosure could easily fit the largest ATX power supplies IF ONLY HP was smart enough to make the PCB longer so the connector would be farther away.  Or put the power supply and PCB on opposite sides!  If you use a low wattage/efficiency psu then it will put out hot air under load.

15L volume but still crappy air flow.  I am not sure which will work best yet as mine is still sitting in parts after my frustration with it.

Yes, those Seasonic Focus Plus were on sale so now I have to wait for another sale...  I got the EVGA g3 750W for a great sale price.  Maybe I will use it outside of the case like you and try to sell on eBay for more than I paid instead of doing return while waiting for the Seasonic sale because I really don't want to use that crappy HP psu.

I am not sure there would be enough space for a soldered right angle connector for the motherboard power...  In any case, I don't care to fool with that.  About 8mm from top of connector to psu now.

No, the psu fit fine.  Only issue is blocking the power connector on pcb.

ReplyQuote
bonbaun
(@bonbaun)

Yep, on the one hand I should just get a graphics card with 8+6, and I would not have this problem. But I got this TI cheap, and didn't think the OMEN would have so many limitations for the power supply. I like the form factor so I'll probably keep it and throw a 8+6 1070 or something in it when I get a chance, or jump on 140mm PSU, so I just see this as a temporary fix until then. In either case, I'm slightly worried about the airflow, it doesn't seem like any air from the graphics card fans is blowing through the case mesh, instead just blowing back up into the case (towards the PSU). The TI idles at 60c and backplate gets hot enough to cook on with default fan curve, must set to aggressive to get down to 44c.

Maybe with the top on, theres a better air seal and the front fan is more effective as it pulls the air out, but it still leaves the issue of no air getting to the back of the card (between PSU and the card), usually on a tower you will have the front fans blowing towards the PCIe area. A high-watt PSU blowing room temp air would probably help this issue.

Spent about 5 hours trying to get this to work on linux following Da_Blitz guide, and managed to get the Thunderbolt authorized and card detected, but then broke my install in the process and lost another 12 hours. Won't play with this again until later this week so I'll report then of any success.

ReplyQuote
 D G
(@d_g)
Trusted Member

If you do end up getting a different card you may want to try a reference founder edition model with the one blower fan that exhausts fan out the back of the case instead of hot air into the case... 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5670-KR

Turn the 120mm fan into an intake fan possibly (I am guessing it is turned to exhaust out currently).  You may want to upgrade the fan to something like this (and hook it up directly to powersupply):

This way we have air going from front to back...  Makes more sense, right?  Cause like you said it doesn't seem to ventilate well otherwise.  I will let you know what I do if I get to it this weekend...

ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

Posted by: bonbaun

Did you manage to find a compatible PSU? I went to plug in a 1080TI FTW3 DT and realized it takes 2x8 connectors, HP's just has 6+8, and the EVGA 750 G2 I have on hand is too long and blocks the connector like in your picture. Looks like swapping the PSU will be the cheapest option, but the fan will blow onto the graphics card.

You realize you can get a 6pin to 8pin adapter, right?

PSU can deliver all the power a 1080ti could ever use..l

D G liked
ReplyQuote
bonbaun
(@bonbaun)

Posted by: irev210

I don't really like the idea of using cable adapters for power, but since the card is reference clock and the reference clock design has 6+8, it shouldn't be an issue for this scenario. However, I think the 6-pin supplies 75W, and 8-pin supplies 150W,  do we know if this PSU's 6-pin will support 150W? Was hoping for a more permanent solution in case I get a power hungry card.

I guess the 6-pin plug they provide should have plenty of gauge to provide the current, but without splitting open the cable its hard to tell whats insulation and whats actual metal, maybe HP cheaped out on the wires too. 

D G liked
ReplyQuote
irev210
(@irev210)
Trusted Member

Posted by: irev210

I don't really like the idea of using cable adapters for power, but since the card is reference clock and the reference clock design has 6+8, it shouldn't be an issue for this scenario. However, I think the 6-pin supplies 75W, and 8-pin supplies 150W,  do we know if this PSU's 6-pin will support 150W? Was hoping for a more permanent solution in case I get a power hungry card.

I guess the 6-pin plug they provide should have plenty of gauge to provide the current, but without splitting open the cable its hard to tell whats insulation and whats actual metal, maybe HP cheaped out on the wires too. 

You do realize that on the first 6+2 it's the same gauge wire right?

Why hp did a lot of things on this box make no sense but there is no issue running a 6 to 8 pin adapter to add the extra two ground wires.

I've run a vega 64 card, overclocked, which can pull down 350 watts+.

Do what you want, just trying to help provide information.

D G liked
ReplyQuote
 of  4