HP Sepctre 13 2018 BIOS F.15 shows UEFI screen on eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

HP Sepctre 13 2018 BIOS F.15 shows UEFI screen on eGPU  

RSS

ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

I'm new to this HP Spectre/TB3 world. I recently got a 13 inch 2018 Model with the newer 8th gen Quad Cores. Great machine I must say so far. I purchased it originally with the bios revision that came with the computer at the time of manufacture, which was F.02. I was hesitant to upgrade to the latest revision as my eGPU setup worked, I was happy with my temps, no sleep issues or hardware issues but I upgraded anyways. They made one change since F.02 and I obviously don't know what revision they made this change but it's UEFI booting for eGPUs that shows the bios and the windows loading screen on external GPUs if they are connected before the system is powered on. Pretty cool yeah? Forgive me if I didn't know this was a thing but I've NEVER seen the BIOS/Windows boot screen on an eGPU on a laptop via thunderbolt before.. 

There's only one problem with this. If you do this, windows (or maybe the UEFI) always disables the internal screen. It doesn't disable the iGPU but it doesn't show the screen on the laptop by default. For some reason, whether it be a bug or an optimus issue, but this causes full iGPU load. You don't notice this until you look at a GPU monitor. The iGPU is pulling around 1.3 watts and it's clock speed is at 1100Mhz. This sucks up a lot of power and leaves little for the 8550u turbo. I was playing witcher 3 and it was hovering around the 50-55 FPS mark on an external screen where I normally run ultra at 75fps all day long on the old BIOS (which did not have this issue even with the screen off) So in order for the iGPU to return to idle and draw 0.0 watts, I have to manually extend the desktop to the laptop screen and then it returns to normal. Now again ,after a reboot the internal screen is disabled again. It must be an eGPU aware bios revision or something?

What does everything think of this? Is seeing the BIOS and Preboot windows loading screen a thing on eGPU's over TB3? Something I failed to note, I use a TB3 >TB2 adapter and an older Thunderbolt2  akitio with a GTX 1070

2018 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
tristank
(@tristank)

I'm struggling with them same issue. Anyway to downgrade the BIOS?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

The sucky thing is, somewhere along the way they patched the meltdown/spectre bug so you can't downgrade below that patch. I can't seem to find what revision they patched it. Also, they don't say anything about the way eGPUs are detected or works in any of their change logs, so I want to say we are SoL.

2018 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

I picked up a Sonnet 550 watt TB3 enclosure and it will arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping to test to be sure this issue isn't present when a certified eGPU device is attached. If it is still a problem it's not that huge of a deal.

ReplyQuote
tristank
(@tristank)

Thanks. Not a huge deal but still annoying.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ha1o2surfer
(@se12897)
Trusted Member

This case doesn't cause this "bug"? to happen; It only happens when I'm using my TB2 adapter..... take that for what it's worth.

ReplyQuote
tristank
(@tristank)

I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box, so it doenst seem to be linked to the TB2 Adapter.

ReplyQuote