I'm so confused - Auto switching / Mac Mini, Bootcamp, Razer Core X, Nvidia RTX ...

Notifications
Clear all

I'm so confused - Auto switching / Mac Mini, Bootcamp, Razer Core X, Nvidia RTX 2070 Super and OSX Catalina  

RSS

Datahawk
(@datahawk)

Hi. I hope someone can help with this. I have spent a lot of time reading the posts on here trying to figure this out, but it seems the posts/information is somewhat dated now due to various software/firmware updates. 

I am running a 2018 Mac Mini running: OSX Catalina (10.15), Windows 10 Bootcamp (v 1909), and a Razer Core X with Nvidia RTX 2070 Super

Basic installation of everything was fluid. No hiccups. Everything was super smooth and easy. I can get Windows 10 to use the second card with no issues. OSX won't use the EGPU because of the RTX card, but that's fine. 

Here are my issues: 

I have a 4k display with both an HDMI and DP port. I read a post where someone just left both the HDMI and DP plugged into the respective units and just switched the monitor setting when they wanted to switch cards. 

It sounds great in theory, but if I boot up windows with the EGPU already turned on, the screen on the monitor goes crazy with glitching bars. It jumps back and forth between the windows logo and the bars, and never actually loads. So I don't want to leave the unit on. 

BUT then there is automate-EGPU, which is supposed to handle auto switched at boot. This seems like the perfect solution, except i can't tell if it will work or not. 

The EGPU site specifically says: 

As of Catalina, Apple has tightened EFI security of dGPU equipped MBPs and therefore gpu-power-prefs variable cannot be accessed from the EFI side. Debugged with the 2015 15"  MBP  and it returned "Access denied". This is firmware change so it will not work even if you try previous macOS versions.

MuxSetting key has no effect anymore.

If i am reading the page right, the MuxSetting key is exactly what i need to specify because I am running an NVIDA card and I need auto graphics switching -- so this tool won't work for me? Is this correct? 

If so, is there something else i can use for auto card switching? If not, how should i be handling this? Just turn off the unit and turn it on only AFTER windows has loaded? 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Datahawk
(@datahawk)

Update. I logged in using the Mac Mini video card, then booted up the EGPU. Once they were both on, i disabled the internal display driver and switched over to the EGPU/display port. Everything was fine until i rebooted. 

Booting up with the EGPU already on and the card/screen went nuts with static again. I'm guessing this isn't something that will work on the mac mini?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Mac mini 2018 does not have dGPU. It has iGPU. Therefore there is no mux to switch between dGPU and iGPU. Your problem with Nvidia eGPU is something else. Look for builds that use the Mac mini 2018 and an Nvidia card.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@datahawk

I am not sure if I understand your problem right, so I will explain how my Mac Mini 2018, the PowerColor Mini Pro and the GTX 1050Ti are working.

Monitor is connected to the Mac Mini via HDMI to HDMI. PowerColor Mini Pro is attached to the monitor via DP (Mini Pro) to miniDP (monitor).

I do not disconnect anything.

I start Windows 1909 18363.753, monitor set on HDMI, PowerColor Mini Pro - off. 

After log-in to Windows, I put on the PowerColor Mini Pro (wait ten seconds) and change monitor settings to mini Display Port.

It works with my system.

Did you try this?

Success

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

Ammendment:

After updating to Windows 1909 18363.778 the above mentioned system does not reliably accept hot plug-ins anymore. Especially my Apple USB keyboard does not work after booting.

However, if the monitor is set to miniDP and the PowerColor Mini Pro is attached during booting, the system works reliable.

Think I will go back to the original set-up with the AMD Radeon RX 570.

Cheers

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Datahawk
(@datahawk)

@hans-st - yes this is exactly what i do and I confirm it works perfectly. I was wondering if there was a way to just leave it on. 

No big deal. Thanks for the confirmation. 

ReplyQuote