iMac 27" (2017) + Atikio Node Pro + ASUS Turbo Nvidia GTX 1080ti in OSX and Bootcamp  

RSS

ohsoweird
(@ohsoweird)
January 31, 2018 9:09 am  

Hi all, 

Great to be a part of this forum. I have been following several threads for quite some time and in particular on eGPU used on Macs (in OSX and Bootcamp/Win10). In relation to a recent job I needed a Nvidia specific GPU to run a post-production software. On top of this it only runs on Windows (at the moment). I wasn't keen on purchasing another computer altogether so I decided that an eGPU could solve this problem. I knew there was a bit risk involved as I was essentially trying to combine an untested combination of hardware + software.

The hardware consists of:

iMac 27" from 2017 (AMD 580 8GB, 64 GB RAM, 1TB SSD)
Atikio Node Pro (connected via Thunderbolt-3)
ASUS Nvidia GTX 1080 ti (Turbo) (Looks similar to founders edition)

The good (Windows) news:

A pretty clean install of Windows 10 (via Bootcamp) on the same SSD as OSX. Connected the TB3 cable and powered on the eGPU. Windows 10 recognised there was a device and after a moment it suggested to install Nvidia drivers.. using whatever default drivers you have over at their website. Installed it and rebooted. "External GPU found/connected". Now that was simple! No additional configuration/installation. The moment of truth, would the Windows/Nvidia specific software recognise it? It started, ran and rendered supers mooth! I can't compare performance-wise to other machines but I was pleased to see quick stitching/renders for this particular software (as I was hoping to get).

The (OSX) questions (read: not working at the moment):

I'm running High Sierra on the iMac and followed the how-to guide including of installing the Nvidia web drivers and a script for OSX 10.3.3. I understand this script might not have something specific for the iMac - but I was hoping it would be easy.
Now, I haven't seen Atikio Node Pro being mentioned much as it is a relatively new box. Checking the system the GPU does show up although not with the correct identifier etc. I tried running a couple of softwares in which you can choose your GPU (eg. Davinci Resolve) but to no avail. I don't get further than this so any feedback, troubleshooting, would be very appreciated. I have attached three screenshots that might be of help to dig deeper. How would I proceed?

Many thanks!

Screenshots:Screen_Shot_2018_01_30_at_21_37_14 Screen_Shot_2018_01_30_at_21_37_20 Screen_Shot_2018_01_30_at_21_37_26

ReplyQuote
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member
January 31, 2018 10:26 am  

Mine (on an older iMac) shows up as "nvidia chip model" like this too, and doesn't work, but just logging out fixes it. After logging out, the 2nd display fires up, and logging back in shows it as a 1080TI in the system report. See if that works.

ohsoweird liked
ReplyQuote
ohsoweird
(@ohsoweird)
January 31, 2018 3:38 pm  
Posted by: psonice

Mine (on an older iMac) shows up as "nvidia chip model" like this too, and doesn't work, but just logging out fixes it. After logging out, the 2nd display fires up, and logging back in shows it as a 1080TI in the system report. See if that works.

Will give that a try as soon as I return to the studio.

Do you power on the eGPU with cable connected throughout powering on the computer? Does it make any difference at what stage the eGPU is powered on/connected? What case do you use and version of OSX? I take it you used the same Nvidia web installer + script combo?

Many thanks

ReplyQuote
psonice
(@psonice)
Estimable Member
January 31, 2018 4:00 pm  

I'm on 10.13.3, yes using the nvidia web installer and script, but i'm using the nvidia driver from 10.3.2 (version 378.10.10.10.25.104). I'm using a Sonnet eGFX 550 case, and an Apple thunderbolt to thunderbolt 3 adaptor.

I found it works reliably if I boot and log in with the eGPU disconnected, then connect, then log out. At that point the external monitor comes on, and I can then log in and everything works. 

ohsoweird liked
ReplyQuote
ohsoweird
(@ohsoweird)
February 13, 2018 12:49 pm  

That seem to have solved it! Awesome!
Boot up iMac normally, login user, connect TB3 cable, power on Atikio Node Pro with GTX 1080ti, logout user, login again - et viola!
System report is correct with all info, identifier etc. External monitor is connected via GPU and works as advertised.

ReplyQuote
ballxp
(@ballxp)
November 13, 2018 5:24 pm  
Posted by: ohsoweird

Boot up iMac normally, login user, connect TB3 cable, power on Atikio Node Pro with GTX 1080ti, logout user, login again - et viola!
System report is correct with all info, identifier etc. External monitor is connected via GPU and works as advertised.

Can you use this method with window boot camp with internal display?

ReplyQuote
ballxp
(@ballxp)
November 13, 2018 5:24 pm  
Posted by: ohsoweird

Can you use this method with window boot camp with internal display?

ReplyQuote