Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
iMac 27" i7 MacOS Mojave Radeon Pro 580 + Sonnet 650 / Nvidia RTX2080 / Radeon V...

iMac 27" i7 MacOS Mojave Radeon Pro 580 + Sonnet 650 / Nvidia RTX2080 / Radeon VII  

RSS

(@aaron_plant)

Hello guys, I'm a bit stuck...

Firstly, I'm new to the forum and I can't quite seem to find what I am looking for in existing posts, so I am looking for some help. I have technical ability, but I am no gaming/system guru, so please bear with me.

I have a new iMac (supplied early 2019) with an i7 processor and 64gb ram, Radeon Pro 580 internal gpu. Sold with a Sonnet 650 breakaway box and Nvidia RTX2080 gpu. I also have a Radeon VII sitting waiting to be used...and it was all sold as being compatible by an online retailer!!

The intention was to run Windows 10 under Parallels Desktop, or as a bootcamp, to enable the RTX2080 card to be used for gaming. Didn't quite go that way. I was then told to stick with Radeon for compatibility, so I bought a Radeon VII!! That didn't work out very well either...

I now have two of the highest spec graphics cards currently available, and a good external enclosure, and NONE of it will work with ANY of it.

Obviously Parallels Desktop is a non-starter because it only supports hardware that is fully supported in MacOS, ruling the Nvidia RTX2080 out. Same with the Radeon VII, as no MacOS support currently, though it is expected at some point. I feel doomed.

If I install the RTX 2080 and create a bootcamp, I have to have the egpu enclosure disconnected during bootcamp install, otherwise it reliably blue-screens during final windows setup, and this causes all the bootcamp windows device support to fail to install rendering mouse and keyboard inoperable to mention. few of the less critical system drivers...like chipset support etc.

With egpu disconnected during windows setup, it all works beautifully, windows completed setup, and eventually after updating everything, I connect the egpu, and this too is recognised but the RTX drivers can't load due to error code 12 - no resources available. I can't get past this no matter what I do.

I can't seem to get the Radeon software to recognise the VII under Windows at all, so I'm wondering if this card is not egpu-compatible at all??

Seriously starting to think I shouldn't have embarked on this journey...and help or advice that you can give me would be very much appreciated - other than suggestions I should trash the whole lot and buy a gaming laptop, which is not what I want to do lol.

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate your time.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

screendor liked
ReplyQuote
screendor
(@screendor)
Trusted Member

You may want to back up and read these posts from the beginning:  https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/radeon-vii-compatible-with-mac/paged/8/#post-57534

Also, while I'm a noob to all of this, the AMD VII seems stable and working well on my 2017 iMac with identical specs to yours and an Akitio Node Pro egpu.  To make it work without having to do the kext hack/trick, I took the plunge and am running OS 10.1.5--it's a beta and you have to sign up https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

That said, this is on the Mac side of things--you through that earlier thread for info on Windows/bootcamp.

2017 iMac 5K 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 40 GB 2400 MHz
Internal AMD 580 Pro 8GB; Akitio Node Pro + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Who is the online retailer?

Your best option is the Radeon VII for use in both macOS and Windows. It should be plug-and-play in macOS starting with 10.14.5. It will take trial and error in Windows. First recommendation I have is to turn off Security Boot in Recovery. The 2019 iMac may behave similar to the 2018 15″ MacBook Pro in Boot Camp. You can take a look at my Radeon VII eGPU build and follow the setup procedure to see if it works for your iMac.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@aaron_plant)

Posted by: screendor

You may want to back up and read these posts from the beginning:  https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/radeon-vii-compatible-with-mac/paged/8/#post-57534

Also, while I'm a noob to all of this, the AMD VII seems stable and working well on my 2017 iMac with identical specs to yours and an Akitio Node Pro egpu.  To make it work without having to do the kext hack/trick, I took the plunge and am running OS 10.1.5--it's a beta and you have to sign up https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

That said, this is on the Mac side of things--you through that earlier thread for info on Windows/bootcamp.

Hi screendor, and thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I took your advice and went for a Beta upgrade on my iMac, and this definitely solved the issue of the Radeon VII not being shown as a valid e-gpu in Mojave. Having said that - I am not seeing ANY discernible performance increase over the internal Radeon Pro 580!! Which came as a bit of a surprise, as you can imagine.

I have checked that in Applications, the app settings for 'prefer external ogpu' are selected on any app I am expecting to use the Radeon VII gpu, but this makes no difference to the performance.

Cinebench software reports a slightly lower performance figure when using the Radeon VII externally, so I am sure something is wrong with my setup...

I have never heard the Radeon VII fans ramp up during benchmarking, so I'm not convinced at all that it is doing anything. Other than checking the 'prefer external gpu' setting, I have no idea how to make this select and use the Radeon VII.

I am also just using the internal Apple display at the moment, as I am seeing no video output directly from the Display ports on the external gpu. Someone mentioned using a dummy plug for the video if using internal Apple display on the iMac...?

Is there any way to be certain that the external gpu is being used?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote