Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
iMac (Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A573a)) + ASUS XG Station Pro + Radeon VII

iMac (Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A573a)) + ASUS XG Station Pro + Radeon VII  

RSS

kervin17
(@kervin17)

Prior to installing the beta, the eGPU enclosure and card were showing in "system report" and were working fine.  Since then, the eGPU enclosure seemed to have croaked, and was sent back to ASUS for replacement.  Went to plug everything back in hoping it was just a fried chip in the old ASUS enclosure, but both my iMac (primary PC) and Mid-2018 Mac Book Pro 15" (Touch Bar), in system report, show under the "Thunderbolt" submenu the eGPU enclosure, and under the Graphics/Display submenu a line item saying "Display" (type: External GPU, Bus: PCIe, Vendor ID: AMD, and device ID), yet the card is not a) running my second monitor which is plugged in directly via HDMI, or b) available as an option as an eGPU in applications.

I assumed this was a driver issue, but neither an apple update, nor a visit to AMD's site gives driver installation tools (in AMD's case, they provide a driver for every platform BUT Mac...).  Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but do we believe this is a Catalina beta issue, or is this something that needs to be resolved through terminal commands, or third party drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@kervin17 Radeon VII remains working fine in 19A573a for me. If the ASUS XG Station Pro showed up in System Information > Thunderbolt, then the Thunderbolt connection is working. The Radeon VII showed up as “Display” indicates it’s not detected properly.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
kervin17
(@kervin17)

@itsage Thanks.  Are you aware of any workaround to solve the recognition issue - perhaps a new driver, or re-seating of the GPU?  I’ve tried restarts and the like on multiple machines with similar results and I’m out of ideas.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@kervin17 I would recommend removing the Radeon VII then reinstall it. Make sure the card is seated securely in the PCIe slot and power cables are firmly in place.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote