Detection Issue and Error 43 - Acer Aspire 5 Nitro V17 (VN7-792G-719E) Black Edi...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Detection Issue and Error 43 - Acer Aspire 5 Nitro V17 (VN7-792G-719E) Black Edition  

RSS

Joseph Francisco
(@joseph_francisco)

I recently bought a Razer Core X enclosure and a 1660 super to get better performance from the already good performance my laptop can dish. I successfully installed the gpu in the core (assumingly) and once everything was hooked up and I connected the thunderbolt to my laptop via the port, first of all I get the message "Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited." Thus through the Thunderbolt software, nothing is showing up under attached devices. When I check device manager to see if there is a basic driver under the display adapters but I met with my dGPU and iGPU with no eGPU device. However, I do see the Razer Core X is detected under "Serial Bus Devices." I tried everything the internet had to offer for solutions (I do not even see my gpu in device manager so error code 12 and 43 is not a thing for me) and looking at my thunderbolt port on my laptop (JUST to be sure it was a thunderbolt 3 port) and it has the thunderbolt 3 logo! It even matches the wire I'm using! I don't know if it is a hardware compatibility issue (because seemingly Acer VN7-792G supports thunderbolt 3), an installation issue (maybe the gpu is installed incorrectly however I hear the fans when it is powered on), or if the Core X itself is faulty. Please help!

https://ibb.co/cYQ3pS9

https://ibb.co/PtDf9Lr

https://ibb.co/LNhrbBm

https://ibb.co/QD9wt5B

https://ibb.co/8YFqcGq

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joseph_francisco, That message means Windows recognized a Thunderbolt device but couldn't establish the connection to expose the PCIe device behind it. Have you tried booting into Windows with the eGPU connected? Checked the laptop BIOS and see if there are Thunderbolt settings. You can also look into installing Thunderbolt Control Center instead of the old Intel Thunderbolt Software your laptop currently runs.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Joseph Francisco
(@joseph_francisco)

@itsage, thanks for the reply! now that you mention it I have been powering my laptop on first before the enclosure, I will try that and update you although my hopes are at a low right now. My bios unfortunately is extremely limited I can literally do nothing in that trash locked bios. and I did try installing Thunderbolt control center in Microsoft store but was met with an error before install (seems to be a program issue as the reviews aren’t looking too well and have same issue). Is there anything else you’d recommend is the power on method doesn’t work?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joseph_francisco, Thunderbolt drivers/software is a mess. You can read more about Thunderbolt Control Center and ways to install it.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Joseph Francisco
(@joseph_francisco)

@itsage, sorry for the late reply (don’t think you care but lol) via your tip through powering on my laptop with the enclosure connected, I actually got a connection! I first was greeted with (Thunderbolt Software program not Control Center) asking whether or not to allow the device. I said yes and clicked on always connect. Then it started installing VGA controller and when it was done my GTX 1660 Super appeared on my device manager with the “!” I think that’s my cue to download the drivers so I headed to NVIDIA’s website and am currently installing drivers and GeForce experience, will keep you updated.

UPDATE: I now have error code 43 next to the GPU, but atleast now it's being detected. Now trying to fix this error 43 issue... @itsage

On my previous post, I stated that I had issues even detecting my egpu on my computer via the Razer Core X. Upon retry, now it is being detected in device manager (shows as Microsoft Basic Driver when drivers aren’t installed) as NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super. However, I have the exclamation logo next to it with the error code 43, the same boat as many people. I have tried:

- Uninstalling dGPU drivers and disabling the Windows 10 autoupdate through DDU, then installing drivers again after restart to no success - My dedicated graphics card on my laptop is the one that is being detected and “using” the drivers? eGPU still with error 43.

- Using the error 43 fixer which did nothing.

Any suggestions, know how to fix this? I spent a solid $700 on this setup (not including my laptop) and I’d be very disappointed if I can’t get this to work.

Just an FYI, I have InsydeH20 bios and it has like nothing useful in it whatsoever. Modded bios may be helpful in this situation, I have the Acer Aspire 5 Nitro V17 Black Edition VN7-792G-719E (GTX 965M)

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote