Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (GIGABYTE Gaming Box) + macOS10.13.6 & Win10 [Paqui2]  

RSS

Paqui2
(@paqui2)
August 24, 2018 10:53 am  

System specs

• Late 2016 13” TouchBar MacBook Pro - i7 3.3GHz
  • Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB
  • 16GB Ram
  • 500 GB SSD
  • High Sierra 10.13.6
  • Windows 10 1803 via Bootcamp
  • Mouse and Steam Controller via Bluetooth

eGPU hardware

• Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box
  • Included Thunderbolt 3 cable
  • (Attached via USB) Intel 120GB SSD
  • (Attached via USB) Keyboard

Installation steps for Windows usage

I generally followed the eGPU.io Boot Camp eGPU Setup Guide while cross referencing mar_kelp’s installation steps. Essentially, what I did was:

1. Install Windows 10 via Bootcamp
  2. Download the latest rEFINd (I used 0.11.3, by using this version, there will be no need for apple_set_os.efi) and rEFInd-minimal from EvanPurkhiser’s repo
  3. Inside Bootcamp, fully update Windows 10 via Windows Update and get the latest Bootcamp fixes using the Apple Software Update
  4. Still inside bootcamp, uninstall the built in Radeon Drivers using DDU
  5. Create a manual restore point using Windows System Protection
  6. Booted to MacOS Recovery mode (Instead of disabling SIP) then run ./refind-install and ./mountesp on the folder containing the downloaded rEFIND
  7. Replicate apple_set_os.efi by editing refind.conf (I think its found on /Volumes/ESP/EFI/refind/ if on MacOS Recovery mode), and then, uncommenting the line with spoof_osx_version, using the default values found on that line.
  8. Add the rEFInd-minimal theme by creating the directory themes directory (I think its on /Volumes/ESP/EFI/themes if on MacOS Recovery mode), copying the downloaded rEFInd-minimal source code into it, then adding to the end of refind.conf the line include themes/rEFInd-minimal/theme.conf
  9. Reboot to windows, create another manual restore point
  10. Shutdown the laptop, attach eGPU on port nearest to the Tab key, then turn on the laptop, (interestingly, my laptop turns on automatically after plugging in the eGPU), then selecting the leftmost Windows icon (it should now show the new theme). The eGPU’s LEDs should be turning on upon powering up, if it doesn’t, turn off the laptop again, disconnect the Gaming box’s power cord, wait a few minutes, the redo this step.
  11. After booting up windows, eGPU should now be seen in Device Manager, but missing its drivers, install the Radeon Drivers from the website, take note that some drivers are not suited for bootcamp as stated by its release notes. (As of now, I installed the Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 as Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Optional isn’t for Bootcamp installs)

Comments

I am an avid reader on this forum and I couldn’t have finished my setup without the posts and development done by the other forum members.

I have been enjoying increased FPS and settings while playing games both on MacOS and Windows 10 for about 2 weeks now. My setup drives games both on an external screen, and (more frequently) on the laptop’s own screen via internal acceleration. Attached at the back of the Gaming Box is an external SSD for Steam game storage on Windows and an external keyboard. I didn’t experience any of the reported side effects on putting the SSD on the EGPU, and while gaming, none of my Windows games had disk I/O problems. This setup gives me impeccable loading speeds on games, such as Monster Hunter World, while minimizing Thunderbolt port usage

More on the setup, a Mouse and a Steam Controller is attached via the laptop’s Bluetooth. And, due to the development done both on Windows and MacOS, there is no need to use a dummy plug to drive games inside the laptop’s screen

MacOS setup is truly plug and play for playing Metal API games. Though, I used mac_editor’s set-eGPU.sh script on most of the games, DOTA 2 already by default uses the EGPU somehow. (I found this accidentally as I wasn’t planning on accelerating DOTA 2 via EGPU as it already gives me 60FPS with the Intel IGPU and Vulkan Drivers)

Here are the games I’ve tested this setup, on MacOS:

• Total War: WARHAMMER
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Dota 2

On Windows, I play:

• PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  • Monster Hunter World

Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro TouchBar + [email protected] (GIGABYTE Gaming Box) + macOS10.13.6 & Win10 [Paqui2]

mar_kelp liked
ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member
August 27, 2018 6:09 pm  

Great write up! Your experience closely matches both my configuration and my installation process.

I appreciate that rEFInd has added the config option to spoof the OS version and have been using it for a few months. Have you noticed any "boot coups" on your setup? I have had about half a dozen, but have not had much luck figuring out what causes it. I boot into recovery mode and run the refind reinstallation process (it automatically keeps my config edits, including the spoof setting), so it is easy to recover but still a minor frustration.

I found this note in your write up interesting:

(As of now, I installed the Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 as Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Optional isn’t for Bootcamp installs)

I didn't know this was an issue and hadn't noticed that item. So, I went back and looked at the release notes for 18.8.1 and sure enough there is specific reference to lack of Bootcamp support. Interestingly, the 18.5.1 Release Notes *also* mention this. 

NOTEThis driver is not intended for use on AMD Radeon products running in Apple Boot Camp platforms. Users of these platforms should contact their system manufacturer for driver support.

Does anyone have more information about this? I've used various drivers installed via the AMD 'Adrenalin' updater and haven't noticed problems with Bootcamp.

Thanks!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Paqui2
(@paqui2)
September 2, 2018 7:34 am  

No boot coups as of yet, I even frequently change between the MacOS and Windows partition because of how often I play Monster Hunter World.

About the drivers, when I was trying 18.8.1, the installer kept giving me an error of it being incompatible with my system. I double checked the architecture (making sure its x64 instead of x86), and the hash dump of the driver, but I could only install 18.5.1 directly on a clean Windows installation. I even tried updating it from 18.5.1, but it gave me a warning that it just did a partial installation. 

But when I read that you could update via installed AMD tools, I tried again. Now, I've successfully updated to the latest 18.8.2 from 18.5.1. Weird

ReplyQuote
Paqui2
(@paqui2)
November 20, 2018 10:05 am  

System specs

• Late 2016 13” TouchBar MacBook Pro - i7 3.3GHz
  • Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB
  • 16GB Ram
  • 500 GB SSD
  • High Sierra 10.13.6
  • Windows 10 1803 via Bootcamp
  • Mouse and Steam Controller via Bluetooth

eGPU hardware

• Gigabyte RX580 Gaming Box
  • Included Thunderbolt 3 cable
  • (Attached via USB) Intel 120GB SSD
  • (Attached via USB) Keyboard

Installation steps for Windows usage

2018/11/20: Edited to include 9D18 disabling step

I generally followed the eGPU.io Boot Camp eGPU Setup Guide while cross referencing mar_kelp’s installation steps. Essentially, what I did was:

1. Install Windows 10 via Bootcamp
  2. Download the latest rEFINd (I used 0.11.3, by using this version, there will be no need for apple_set_os.efi) and rEFInd-minimal from EvanPurkhiser’s repo
  3. Inside Bootcamp, fully update Windows 10 via Windows Update and get the latest Bootcamp fixes using the Apple Software Update
  4. Still inside bootcamp, uninstall the built in Radeon Drivers using DDU
  5. Create a manual restore point using Windows System Protection
  6. Booted to MacOS Recovery mode (Instead of disabling SIP) then run ./refind-install and ./mountesp on the folder containing the downloaded rEFIND
  7. Replicate apple_set_os.efi by editing refind.conf (I think its found on /Volumes/ESP/EFI/refind/ if on MacOS Recovery mode), and then, uncommenting the line with spoof_osx_version, using the default values found on that line.
  8. Add the rEFInd-minimal theme by creating the directory themes directory (I think its on /Volumes/ESP/EFI/themes if on MacOS Recovery mode), copying the downloaded rEFInd-minimal source code into it, then adding to the end of refind.conf the line include themes/rEFInd-minimal/theme.conf
  9. Reboot to windows, create another manual restore point
  10. Disable the 9D18 Thunderbolt ports to bypass "error 12" problems via going to the Windows Device Manager, selecting the View->"Devices by Connection" drop-down menu, then disabling the "PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18" entry
  11. Shutdown the laptop, attach eGPU on port nearest to the Tab key, then turn on the laptop, (interestingly, my laptop turns on automatically after plugging in the eGPU), then selecting the leftmost Windows icon (it should now show the new theme). The eGPU’s LEDs should be turning on upon powering up, if it doesn’t, turn off the laptop again, disconnect the Gaming box’s power cord, wait a few minutes, the redo this step.
  12. After booting up windows, eGPU should now be seen in Device Manager, but missing its drivers, install the Radeon Drivers from the website, take note that some drivers are not suited for bootcamp as stated by its release notes. (As of now, I installed the Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 as Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Optional isn’t for Bootcamp installs)

Comments

I am an avid reader on this forum and I couldn’t have finished my setup without the posts and development done by the other forum members.

I have been enjoying increased FPS and settings while playing games both on MacOS and Windows 10 for about 2 weeks now. My setup drives games both on an external screen, and (more frequently) on the laptop’s own screen via internal acceleration. Attached at the back of the Gaming Box is an external SSD for Steam game storage on Windows and an external keyboard. I didn’t experience any of the reported side effects on putting the SSD on the EGPU, and while gaming, none of my Windows games had disk I/O problems. This setup gives me impeccable loading speeds on games, such as Monster Hunter World, while minimizing Thunderbolt port usage

More on the setup, a Mouse and a Steam Controller is attached via the laptop’s Bluetooth. And, due to the development done both on Windows and MacOS, there is no need to use a dummy plug to drive games inside the laptop’s screen

MacOS setup is truly plug and play for playing Metal API games. Though, I used mac_editor’s set-eGPU.sh script on most of the games, DOTA 2 already by default uses the EGPU somehow. (I found this accidentally as I wasn’t planning on accelerating DOTA 2 via EGPU as it already gives me 60FPS with the Intel IGPU and Vulkan Drivers)

Here are the games I’ve tested this setup, on MacOS:

• Cities: Skylines
  • Dota 2

On Windows, I play:

• PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  • Monster Hunter World

ReplyQuote