Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Low FPS with Sonnet Breakaway 350W and Dell XPS 9560

Low FPS with Sonnet Breakaway 350W and Dell XPS 9560  

RSS

Tuloko
(@tuloko)

Hello all,

I bought a Sonnet 350W for my Dell XPS 9560. I put in the sonnet Zotac 1070ti mini (8GB). 

Everything works fine, except I am not getting the performance that I have read other people are getting, or even close. 

The card is on the list of supported for the 350W on Sonnets website. 
My Dell has a Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

As I said everything works as it should. The EGPU fires up when I plug it into my Thunderbolt port on my dell, I have got it hooked up to an external monitor to get around the reduced number of Thunderbolt lanes on my laptop, but I am getting pretty average framerates in games. Marginally better than using my onboard 1050. 

I have fully updated to most recent thunderbolt, bios, all windows stuff, and graphics card drivers. 
I would really appreciate some advice on next steps.

Thank you.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@tuloko Can you check in Device Manager if there are three GPUs show up? You should have Intel iGPU, Nvidia dGPU, and Nvidia eGPU. In my experience, it’s best to disable the Nvidia dGPU so that the eGPU can work together with the Intel iGPU. Give that a try and let us know whether you see more consistent and better performance.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Tuloko
(@tuloko)

Hey Itsage,

Yes all three GPU's show-up. I should have mentioned, I have already tried disabling the onboard 1050 in device manager and there is no difference in performance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Ok, then try apply some cooling to the PCH chip. We found Thunderbolt 3 thermal throttling when this chip gets hot. While you’re at it, apply new thermal paste on the CPU & dGPU and clean up the heatsink/fins too.

ReplyQuote
Tuloko
(@tuloko)

Hey Itsage,

I had a sneaky feeling it might be the cpu throttling stuff, so I googled the cpu type and it said that it wasn't  a problem. 

What hadn't occurred to me was that it might be overheating, and I found this article https://www.ultrabookreview.com/14875-fix-throttling-xps-15/

So I am going to pull apart the laptop, replace the thermal paste, and do the pad stacking thing and clean out the inside.

I will report back when I have done it.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

For eGPU use, you’d want to apply some form of cooling to that PCH chip.

ReplyQuote