[Help needed] Low thunderbolt performance on Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box

Notifications
Clear all

[Help needed] Low thunderbolt performance on Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box  

RSS

stefan cuevas
(@stefan_cuevas)

Hello, everyone. I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem I've been having with a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 eGPU Gaming Box (and any eGPU apparently, see edit.) 

I have a NUC10i7FNK whose CPU I have been optimizing thermally. I was quite happy with the CPU performance in benchmarks, and decided to plug in one of my eGPU's to see how it worked in games. 

I tried Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed Odyssey and the performance was quite bad, even with the expected eGPU deficits. I couldn't sustain about 40-50 fps, even on low settings 1080p. The 1% lows were also very bad. Having said that, my monitoring software had the CPU taxed at about 30-60% and the GPU taxed at about 90-99%. So I was confused. Then I noticed that the power-usage of the RTX 2070 was much lower than it should've been 112-130W instead of closer to the TDP of 175W. 

After installing new firmware to the NUC's thunderbolt controller (to Version 62), and also the newest drivers the problem still persisted. I tried different thunderbolt cables and both HDMI and USB-C passthrough for display. 

I finally searched and found that you can measure thunderbolt performance with CUDA-Z. The results were about 1100 Mib/s Host-to-Device and 2700 Mib/s Device-to-Host. This NUC is suppose to support 40 Gbps, and from what I gather both the Host-To-Device and Device-To-Host result should be above 2000's Mib/s. 

I happen to have another eGPU, the one I use more often, a Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080ti Gaming Box, and decided to see what CUDA-Z says when I plug that in. I am getting 2271 Mbps Host-To-Device and 2741.43 Mbps Device-to-Host, which seems more like what I should expect. I haven't tested any games on it yet, but I anticipate that they'll probably run as intended -- with the typical performance deficits.  See edit

I have another NUC with two thunderbolt ports -- that I can try the RTX 2070 on, but I doubt it will show different results given that the other eGPU is working as expected in the original NUC. See edit

Is the thunderbolt port of the RTX 2070 enclosure potentially damaged, or is the power supply dying, or something else? I can potentially open it up and pull the card, trying it in a regular PC and PCI-e, since I doubt I am still covered under warranty (this enclosure + GPU was purchased used about a year ago.) 

What are the next steps in this troubleshooting process, and how might I repair this? 

Thanks! 

Edit: Actually, just tested the RTX 2080ti in Horizon Zero Dawn and it is stuck at 48-60 fps even on 1080p with DLSS. So maybe it is the NUC? GPU Utilization is at 69%-80% CPU utilization at 58%, GPU Power is 107W, much lower than the 250W TDP. Going to test them on my other NUC which I know has better performance. 

Edit 2: Able to max power by upping the game settings to max and going 4k on RTX 2080ti. Framerates are 48 FPS, GPU utilization at 99%, CPU Utilization 40%. I tried turning off c-states in throttlestop, switching NVIDIA graphics to maximum performance, installed new drivers that released today, reset the bios, and various other different power settings -- still won't sustain over 45-50fps at 1080p or 1440p, even though both GPU's should be able to easily. 

This topic was modified 7 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

For the 2070 gaming box the enclosure firmware is probably reserving half the Host to Device bandwidth for the usb ports. If you want the full bandwidth for the egpu I believe you can flash a firmware with the full H2D.

That game horizon zero dawn is known to require a lot of pcie bandwidth. The issues you are seeing are exactly what I would expect from a game that is bottlenecked by the thunderbolt bandwidth

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
stefan cuevas
(@stefan_cuevas)

Posted by: @nu_ninja

For the 2070 gaming box the enclosure firmware is probably reserving half the Host to Device bandwidth for the usb ports. If you want the full bandwidth for the egpu I believe you can flash a firmware with the full H2D.

That game horizon zero dawn is known to require a lot of pcie bandwidth. The issues you are seeing are exactly what I would expect from a game that is bottlenecked by the thunderbolt bandwidth

Ah, this all makes sense now why the RTX 2070 had a low Host-to-Device and why the RTX 2080ti didn't improve much given that I only tested HZD. 

Looking at some eGPU tests now, it seems par-for-the-course for this game.

Just watched a review where an RTX 3080 was getting 45 FPS on an external monitor at 4k using an eGPU set-up. I guess this is the worst possible scenario for this device given how bandwidth hungry this game is. Hadn't realized games varied that much in bandwidth-usage and assumed that the performance losses were pretty much in a tighter range than they apparently are. 

Thanks. 

This post was modified 7 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote