Mac Mini 2018 Razer Core-X EGPU Setup  

RSS

wasko
(@wasko)
November 29, 2018 4:48 am  

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a Razer Core-X which is housing a Vega 56 and I have this connected to my 2018 Mac Mini with a 32 inch 4K LG Monitor. I am struggling to find what the setup here should be in terms of what cables go where. 

If I boot into OS with the Mac Mini connected directly to the monitor (via USB-C) and then switch across to the Vega 56 (which is connected to the Mac Mini via TB3 and monitor via DP) then it works fine. If I try powering on the Mac Mini with it connected solely to the EGPU via TB3 and the Vega 56 connected to the monitor [(Mini) ->(TB3) -> (EGPU) -> (DP) -> (Monitor)] I get a black screen...

I this how it is supposed to work or am I missing something?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wasko
(@wasko)
November 29, 2018 5:04 am  

Of course as soon as I posted that I found the answer  😳 

Damn FileVault was switched on

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Bmac
 Bmac
(@bmac)
December 7, 2018 3:15 am  

I am having the same issue only FileVault is switched off and I'm still getting a black screen.

Help plz

ReplyQuote
(@megaseppl)
December 10, 2018 10:36 pm  

One question: Do you always have to manually switch the Core X on when you want to use it? Or does it have a good sleep mode that puts the case and GPU into sleep whenever the Mac is off or as well in sleep mode?

No eGPU yet... planning to buy a Razer Core X with ASUS Vega 64 for my Mac mini

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Estimable Member
January 29, 2019 1:35 pm  
Posted by: Sebastian

One question: Do you always have to manually switch the Core X on when you want to use it? Or does it have a good sleep mode that puts the case and GPU into sleep whenever the Mac is off or as well in sleep mode?

You don't have to manually switch it. If you put your Mac to sleep, it will put the eGPU to sleep but if you turn it off, it will turn off the eGPU and when you turn on the eGPU it will turn it on too.

2017 MBP 15″ RP560 + Mantiz Venus + AMD Radeon Pro VEGA Frontier Edition

ReplyQuote