Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
Mac mini (2018) with Razer Core X and Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT - Question about co...

Mac mini (2018) with Razer Core X and Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT - Question about correct connection  

RSS

Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)

Hello folks!

Good news, today I got my new Razer Core X and Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 🙂
I assembled everything and hooked it up to my mini via TB3 cable. The mini is mainly connected to my 4k LG display with an USB C Cable.

Now I noticed there seems to be no need to connect the GPU directly with for ecample HDMI cable to the Monitor? Am I Right?
The Video signal seems to be processed by the GPU and returned to the mini and than passed through to the monitor?

I`m sorry if I understood something wrong but is this the correct setup or should I go for the connection via HDMI cable and choose the corresponding HDMI-input on the monitor?

Thanks for your help!
Kind regards,
Markus 🙂

Mac mini (2018) 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
Razor Core X

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

You need to connect the monitor to the GPU for maximum performance. 

Some apps it won't make a massive difference, but others, especially games, it will.

Next up you'll be asking how to do that as the GPU doesn't have USB C, the answer is out there on this forum if you search for it... 😉 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)

Thanks, I have a HDMI Cable left, so I'm able to connect the eGPU directly as you stated above!

But I want be able to switch off the eGPU to save power when only doing office work. Do I need to say "Disconnect eGPU" and than switch it off by using the power button, or can i switch it off directly on the eGPU case without clicking on the "disconnect eGPU" entry?

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razor Core X

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)

If I connect the Monitor via HDMI it seems that some stuttering is occurring also in "normal" desktop usage. Do I have to disconnect the direct USB C Connection from my Mac mini to solve this?

It would be nice to deactivate eGPU (wtich off) when its not used. So I decided to have also the USB C connection from Mac mini to Monitor. But I don't know what's the exact best procedure and connection types, any recommendations would be very appreciated!

This post was modified 6 days ago

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razor Core X

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

@markus2801a You should select "disconnect eGPU" to be safe before powering off the eGPU otherwise a kernel panic might occur, causing loss of some data (but I haven't seen that happen yet when I disconnect the Thunderbolt cable from the Mac mini without using the disconnect menu item).

If the display is getting signal direct from the GPU in the eGPU box, then you should see only one monitor in macOS Displays preferences panel or SwitchResX. In that case, you should not need to disconnect the display from the Mac mini.

Which model LG 4K display are you using? It should probably have a USB-C input, DisplayPort input, and HDMI input(s). I would choose USB-C first, and DisplayPort second. HDMI last because it has lest bandwidth than DisplayPort/USB-C. Actually, might want to do DisplayPort first with USB-C for USB 3.0 upstream link if there's no USB 3.0 type B upstream connector and you want to connect USB 3.0 devices to USB downstream ports of the display, since USB-C by itself with 4K DisplayPort 1.2 only allows USB 2.0 upstream.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Markus2801A
(@markus2801a)

@joevt Thanks for your detailed answer.

When I connect the HDMI Cable directly from eGPU to Monitor and also have USB-C Connection from Mac mini to Display (LG Electronics 32UD89-W) I can select synchronize Displays or have two Desktops in Mac OS settings.

Today I connected it via DisplayPort Cable (with also the USB C direct connection from Mac mini to Monitor) and - thanks to your suggestions - it seems to work properly, no stuttering and it only shows on Display in settings!

For switching the eGPU off, I select "disconnect eGPU" and afterwards power it off via power button directly on Razor Chroma X eGPU Case.

This post was modified 6 days ago

LG Electronics 32UD89-W
Razor Core X

ReplyQuote