Mac Mini 2020 + Razer Core X + Rx 5600 XT + Catalina 10.15.6 + Bootcamp Win10 bu...

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini 2020 + Razer Core X + Rx 5600 XT + Catalina 10.15.6 + Bootcamp Win10 build 19041  

RSS

AlanWM
(@alanwm)

Hardware:

Mac Mini Early 2020 i5 8500B

32GB Ram

Razer Core X

Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB

Catalina 10.15.6

Bootcamp Windows 10 Build 19041

Setup:
I was quite worry that I would encounter issues when dealing with Windows 10 support of eGPU since I have read posts with issues like Error 12 among others.

When I plugged the HDMI directly into Razer Core to the monitor for the first time, mini booted up to the login screen without any issue. I verified that Razer Core and Radeon card were detected.

I then restart the mini into bootcamp windows 10 with the TB3 cable unplug from Razer Core and plugged into Mini. Windows 10 booted up and downloadEd and installed the necessary AMD Drivers. I did not download the latest Radeon driver from AMD as I want to see if eGPU could boot up with the default driver. I shut down the mini, unplugged from mini and plugged into Razer. I held my breath and power up mini. It never showed any issue at all. There’s no Error 12 or whatsoever issues. It’s all green light. Prior to this eGPU setup, I already have an existing Windows 10 with build 19041. I am lucky that I don’t need to do a clean install of Windows to make eGPU works.

I have done some benchmarks and I was pleased with the results.

Once I was done with Windows 10, I decided to boot back into Catalina by switching Bootcamp startup disk.

During the boot up while TB3 still attached to Razer, the monitor showed a grainy screen (as if TV lost signal) for couple of seconds before it turned black and boot into login screen. I wanted to make sure booting into both OS without issues, I restarted the mini several times from Catalina to Windows and vice versa. So far so good, no boot up issue at all.

Then this morning when I boot back from Windows to Catalina, the screen remains black and refuse to show the login screen. I have to power off the mini and turn back on only to able boot into login screen. This was the first issue ever I came across so far. However I could restart the mini and boot into Windows without issue. I notice that only when mini restarts, the black screen will occur. If I shut down and power on again, normal boot to login screen is achievable. ONLY restart caused this issue.

Anybody encountered the same issue as mine?

If someone has a fix pls share. Very much appreciated.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@alanwm, There are inconclusive booting behavior with Macs and eGPU. To better understand your setup, you almost have to try it with different scenarios and find out what works best. In your case, cold-plug the eGPU seems to be the most consistent way. Warm-plug as in restarting causes the black screen and hot-plug is likely not possible in Windows 10 newer than 1903.

Another observation I have in the past couple of months is the degrading performance of Radeon drivers (at least for eGPU). You are running 20.8.3 based on the drivers date. I've been testing this issue with many different Radeon eGPU setups. If you install Adrenalin 20.4.2, the eGPU can perform a lot better.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AlanWM
(@alanwm)

Posted by: @itsage

@alanwm, There are inconclusive booting behavior with Macs and eGPU. To better understand your setup, you almost have to try it with different scenarios and find out what works best. In your case, cold-plug the eGPU seems to be the most consistent way. Warm-plug as in restarting causes the black screen and hot-plug is likely not possible in Windows 10 newer than 1903.

Another observation I have in the past couple of months is the degrading performance of Radeon drivers (at least for eGPU). You are running 20.8.3 based on the drivers date. I've been testing this issue with many different Radeon eGPU setups. If you install Adrenalin 20.4.2, the eGPU can perform a lot better.

Thanks for the great advise. I will download 20.4.2 as per your advice and give it a try. I simply don’t understand why the warm boot worked last night and not this morning. I did not install any update or changes to the setup. This baffles me a lot. Hopefully I won’t have to plug and unplug one day to improve my experience.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote