Macbook 2018 15" and 2019 16" compatible with dual eGPU setup

Notifications
Clear all

Macbook 2018 15" and 2019 16" compatible with dual eGPU setup  

RSS

xartic1
(@xartic1)

I believe this is my first post but I wanted to say thanks for everyone who put the effort into getting the AMD eGPUs working for windows on MacBook's. It took some time but I was able to figure out with the pci.sys file and bootcampdrivers to get my Blackmagic 580 Pro working with windows.

What I wanted to share is that I was able to get the 580 Pro mining Ethereum through my Macbook as well as a Galax HOF GTX 1080 in a Razer Core X. I was a bit worried that there would be incompatibility issues running 2 eGPUs simultaneously but there seems to be no issue.

I know it's not entirely ideal to do this but I had a 1080 laying around and got a Razer Core X for a very fair price to start gaming a bit on my 6 core 15" MacBook until I recently got a 16" 5500M i9 MacBook for $500 used. I now use my former 2018 MacBook to run dual GPUs to mine some ethereum for a bit until I decide to sell both of my eGPU setups. 

For those who are interested, both GPUs are really undervolted with the AB curve editor and hashing around 30Mh on the 1080 and 23 on the 580 Pro. Both running in the low 40s C. The MacBook has a more aggressive fan curve set and QuickCPU running to limit the CPU frequency to 1GHz.

I was able to edit the Blackmagic 580 Pro bios to allow undervolting and underclocking of the core frequency to run at a reduced voltage and further bring the temperature down. This did not affect the hashrate whatsoever.

Anyone that is interested or need any help with setting this up I'm able to answer any questions.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@xartic1, Thank you for sharing this insight. Can you provide more details on the mining program setup so that only the two eGPUs are being used and iGPU and dGPU are left alone? Also which version of Windows 10 are you running?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
xartic1
(@xartic1)

@itsage, since MacBooks with dGPUs can’t utilize the iGPU on bootcamp there’s no need to worry about that aspect. Since Etherejm mining required more than 4GB the dGPU in my system, 560X with 4GB, didn’t meet the requirement for mining.

As for getting the two GPUs I have setup, I used Phoenix miner and specified -GPU 1,2 in the .bat file.

At this moment I’m using the most current version of Windows.

I should also add I’m using OhGodAnETHlargementPill to boost my GTX 1080 hash rate and AMD-Compute-Switcher program to force my 580 Pro into compute mode since the toggle for it in the Radeon software is nonexistent.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

cgWerks and itsage liked
ReplyQuote