Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
MacBook Pro 15 in 2019 eGPU problem

MacBook Pro 15 in 2019 eGPU problem  

RSS

garygrajales
(@garygrajales)

Hello everyone, I have a problem and I have called apple, the GPU company and AKiTiO and no one seems to be able to help. I have a node pro and an RX580. When I connect my eGPU my Mac responds to it, it shows like its connect it and I can even mouse the mouse as if the monitor was connected, the windows and mouse disappear that way. I can see it in displays and in stat. 

However, the monitor just says no signal. I have tried with two different GPUs and same thing. also my Mac works fine if I use a USB to HDMI adapter as well. Sometimes if I unplug and replug the HDMI enough it will work. But its not the HDMI cable either as I have tried multiple new ones. 

Any ideas? Thanks for the help 

OSX 10.15, 15-inch, 2018, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Akitio Node Pro, Rx580

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@garygrajales

What OS are you running? Please add your system config to signature. Try reinstalling macOS on top of existing install. Reset NVRAM and SMC.

What vendor is the GPU (XFX, Sapphire, etc.)? If XFX, replace with a different one.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

What vendor is the GPU (XFX, Sapphire, etc.)? If XFX, replace with a different one.

Lol, this is what I would call "Bad-Promotion".. 😉

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
garygrajales
(@garygrajales)

@mac_editor

Im running OSX 10.15 and I did reset the Nvram and SMC 

So, I changed the cable from HDMI to display port and it works now. But im sure its not the cable since I tried multiple HDMI cables and when I use USB-C to HDMI the monitor works. The cables I have are 18gbps as well, so its weird. I changed from display port to HDMI because when I played a game during heavy load the display would turn off and go blank (I haven't tried if with the new display port cable I just bought the same thing will happen). 

Another weird thing is that this monitor is a 4K monitor and when I look under Graphic/displays in system report it says : "Resolution: 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)" 

When its not 5k for a fact. 

what do you think ? 

OSX 10.15, 15-inch, 2018, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Akitio Node Pro, Rx580

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@garygrajales

macOS sometimes doesn’t play well with HDMI. Don’t know why display shows up at 5K if it’s 4K. If HDMI still isn’t working it could be a faulty GPU (or BIOS). You didn’t answer my vendor question.

ReplyQuote
garygrajales
(@garygrajales)

@mac_editor

I tried both an xfx and a powercolor

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@garygrajales

Gotcha. Can’t say for sure what the issue is with HDMI then. I personally use DisplayPort only and have avoided HDMI. In earlier releases of macOS 4K60 over HDMI was always an issue. They have since resolved it, but I just prefer DP over HDMI (since I get Freesync in Windows). 

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @garygrajales

Another weird thing is that this monitor is a 4K monitor and when I look under Graphic/displays in system report it says : "Resolution: 5120 x 2880 (5K/UHD+ - Ultra High Definition Plus)" 

Are you using 2560x1440 HiDPI mode? That uses a 5120x2880 frame buffer.

HDMI seems to work fine on my Mac mini 2018 from RX580 eGPU but not from the Mac mini's HDMI 2.0 port (since Catalina).

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
garygrajales
(@garygrajales)

@joevt

yeah im using it in HiDPI that makes sense now

and regarding the HDMI, maybe this is a Catalina problem... 

ReplyQuote