MacBook Pro 16" not charging through Aorus Gaming Box 1080 eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 16" not charging through Aorus Gaming Box 1080 eGPU  

RSS

MartinAnthony
(@martinanthony)

Hi everybody,

I have this problem where my Gaming Box 1080 no longer charges my MacBook Pro 16". I bought the eGPU a year ago to use with a 15" and everything worked fine. But, since I upgraded to a new 16", the eGPU no longer charges my computer while in use, and instead actually discharges the battery even faster. Furthermore, it actually tells my MacBook that it's charging, and prevents me from using the apple charger and the eGPU at the same time. So i'm basically forced to use the eGPU only until my battery discharges. Then i have to disconnect it if i want to charge my Mac.

Could this be a PSU problem? And if it is, how and with that PSU should i replace it?

Could it be that the new 16" can't charge fast enough with the power the eGPU provides since it's more powerful?

Any help on this matter would be very welcome.

Thanks and be safe

Rig:

eGPU Aorus Gaming Box 1080
MacBook Pro 16" - 2,6 GHz 6-core Intel i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Bootcamp/Windows 10 build:1909
Thunderbolt 3 100W CableMatters 1m cable

MacBook Pro 15'' Touchbar 2018 + eGPU Aorus Gigabyte Gaming box GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@martinanthony, Try a different Thunderbolt 3 cable. If you have a USB-C Amp/Volt meter that would help too.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Did you ever figured it out? My friend is facing the same problem, same cable length, same eGPU.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MartinAnthony
(@martinanthony)

On thorough inspection, I noticed that one of the chips on the PCB was shorted out. This must be the power regulator that sends charge to the computer. I can probably get someone to resolder that particular part, but because it's been burnt, the model number is unreadable.

If someone is kindhearted enough to open up his/hers Gaming Box 1070/1080 and tell me the model number of the chip showed on the photo, I can maybe find it on Aliexpress and save this eGPU from going in the trash. The chip is located underneath the power supply.

IMG

Thank you

ReplyQuote
MartinAnthony
(@martinanthony)

@itsage, Dear Illustrious member, do you think it's possible to do so? I have limited experience with eGPUs and this problem in particular. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@martinanthony, I will see if I can get to the mainboard of the Gaming Box this weekend and take a photo for you.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MartinAnthony
(@martinanthony)

@itsage, Hi again, did you manage to find the time to do it? Thank you in advance.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@martinanthony, Sorry I didn't get around to it earlier. I took the Gaming Box PSU out to take this picture. From what I could see it's 6508 GV7683. The IC next to it is identical in number so you could double-check on your Gaming Box Thunderbolt 3 mainboard.

ReplyQuote