MacMini 2018 + RX580 + GC-Alpine Ridge + UltraFine 5K  

RSS

(@sunshinedw)
February 6, 2019 12:10 pm  

Finally, I collect all of dragon balls.
1st is Mac Mini 2018, 2nd is 32GB Ram, 3rd is Razer Core X, 4th is RX 580, 5th is GC-Alpine Ridge, 6th is UltraFine 5K, 7th is PCI-E riser card.
So I called Shenron, but my dream did not come true.

I followed theitsage method, my devices are something wrong.
The PCI-E riser card that I bought is this one.( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CHIPAL-Dual-LED-VER009S-PCI-E-Riser-Card-009S-PCI-Express-1X-to-16X-0-6M/32856712336.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274d4c4dxK0nqq )
I connected two DP outputs of RX580 to GC-Alpine Ridge mini DP inputs, then thunderbolt 3 output of GC-Alpine Ridge connect to UltraFine 5K.
But my monitor does not operate.
When I connect 1 DP and connect HDMI to my TV, it is OK.
But I connect 2 DP and connect thunderbolt 3 to UltraFine 5K, it is not operated.

The PCI-E riser card has 2 of 6 pin power connect and 1 of 4 pin power connect(molex).
I tried to connect all of them or 2 of them or 1 of them, but it is not operated.

I tried many method, I found that my riser card is not operate as I want.
I connect GC-Alpine Ridge to my old desktop PC and connect all cables, then everything is OK.

In Bootcamp, RX 580 is operated perfectly.

In this time, I think that I need valid PCI-E riser card or Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with 2 PIC-E slots.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
February 6, 2019 11:14 pm  

@sunshinedw Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. In my attempt, I ordered two powered riser cards but only one worked. It looked identical to the card you got but the part number is slightly different (PCE164P-N08 VER 009S). One thing I recall is that the initiation period might be several minutes. One time it took nearly 10 minutes. I was successful powering the card and AIC with only one 4-pin Molex connected. Maybe connect everything again and let it sit for a while to see if it would work.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@sunshinedw)
February 7, 2019 12:06 am  

@itsage Thank you for your comments. I will patiently try again with my riser card.  😉 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt3)
Reputable Member
February 7, 2019 9:52 am  
Posted by: theitsage

@sunshinedw Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

I think he did say it worked, if he meant that the HDMI output of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE worked. There's just the problem of getting the LG display to work. Maybe it's that initiation problem you mentioned. Maybe it's the order in which the devices are connected. Maybe connect all the cables to the GC-ALPINE RIDGE before adding power to the riser.

Other tests to try are a USB-C display adapter or a Thunderbolt display adapter.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@sunshinedw)
February 8, 2019 12:00 am  
Posted by: joevt
Posted by: theitsage

@sunshinedw Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

I think he did say it worked, if he meant that the HDMI output of the GC-ALPINE RIDGE worked. There's just the problem of getting the LG display to work. Maybe it's that initiation problem you mentioned. Maybe it's the order in which the devices are connected. Maybe connect all the cables to the GC-ALPINE RIDGE before adding power to the riser.

Other tests to try are a USB-C display adapter or a Thunderbolt display adapter.

Yes it works,  when I connect HDMI output of the GC-Alpine Ridge. But if i connect only thunderbolt 3 output of the GC-Alpine Ridge, it didn't work.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Seotheneo
(@seotheneo)
February 9, 2019 4:31 am  

Congratulations!

ReplyQuote