MacMini 2018 + RX580 + GC-Alpine Ridge +...

MacMini 2018 + RX580 + GC-Alpine Ridge + UltraFine 5K  

RSS

(@sunshinedw)
Feb 6, 2019 12:10 pm  

Finally, I collect all of dragon balls.
1st is Mac Mini 2018, 2nd is 32GB Ram, 3rd is Razer Core X, 4th is RX 580, 5th is GC-Alpine Ridge, 6th is UltraFine 5K, 7th is PCI-E riser card.
So I called Shenron, but my dream did not come true.

I followed theitsage method, my devices are something wrong.
The PCI-E riser card that I bought is this one.( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CHIPAL-Dual-LED-VER009S-PCI-E-Riser-Card-009S-PCI-Express-1X-to-16X-0-6M/32856712336.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.274d4c4dxK0nqq )
I connected two DP outputs of RX580 to GC-Alpine Ridge mini DP inputs, then thunderbolt 3 output of GC-Alpine Ridge connect to UltraFine 5K.
But my monitor does not operate.
When I connect 1 DP and connect HDMI to my TV, it is OK.
But I connect 2 DP and connect thunderbolt 3 to UltraFine 5K, it is not operated.

The PCI-E riser card has 2 of 6 pin power connect and 1 of 4 pin power connect(molex).
I tried to connect all of them or 2 of them or 1 of them, but it is not operated.

I tried many method, I found that my riser card is not operate as I want.
I connect GC-Alpine Ridge to my old desktop PC and connect all cables, then everything is OK.

In Bootcamp, RX 580 is operated perfectly.

In this time, I think that I need valid PCI-E riser card or Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with 2 PIC-E slots.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Feb 6, 2019 11:14 pm  

@sunshinedw Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. In my attempt, I ordered two powered riser cards but only one worked. It looked identical to the card you got but the part number is slightly different (PCE164P-N08 VER 009S). One thing I recall is that the initiation period might be several minutes. One time it took nearly 10 minutes. I was successful powering the card and AIC with only one 4-pin Molex connected. Maybe connect everything again and let it sit for a while to see if it would work.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@sunshinedw)
Feb 7, 2019 12:06 am  

@itsage Thank you for your comments. I will patiently try again with my riser card.  😉 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Seotheneo
(@seotheneo)
Feb 9, 2019 4:31 am  

Congratulations!

ReplyQuote