Notifications
Clear all

US$349 Mantiz Venus TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  112
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Mantiz has made the Venus eGPU enclosure available on Amazon in the US at $399.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

Rycco liked
ReplyQuote
OtaXou
(@otaxou)

Note for french buyers : I just payed 104€ of customs clearence fees from DHL. Which put the total for my Venus at 337.65€ (converted by PayPal from 389$USD) + 104€ = 441.65€.

You may want to wait for Amazon :') I didn't expect the customs fees to be so high

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
franketto
(@franketto)
Trusted Member

It's the same calc I did before for Italy:

441.65-13,5€ about of fixed DHL costs = 428,15€

428,15:1.20 = 357€ (removed VAT 20%)

357-337 = 20€ duties that is  little more than 5%... more than 2,5% here in Italy...

French VAt are at 20%.

In a previous post, nando4 said:

What is the total ports bandwidth available if the eGPU is being used under 100% load?

5Gbps USB 3.1 Gen1 hub (Mantiz Venus)

4-lane TB3: 5Gbps * 22/32 = 3.44Gbps or 430MB/s
    2-lane TB3: 5Gbps * 22/32 * 16/22 = 2.5Gbps or 313MB/s

The calculation: 5Gbs is the USB controller input.  32 is the 32Gbps x4 3.0 TB3 enclosure controller. The 22 is the 22Gbps TB3 attenuatated ‘data’ link back to the notebook courtesy of Intel throttling. For a 16Gbps 2-lane TB3 notebook, a further 16/22 attenuation occurs on the notebook side."

So, now I would say, that even on TB3 @2x, you could get speed more than 313MB/s (to be further diminished for overhead):
tests done with Samsung 850Pro 1TB, using eGPU bandwidth with Cuda-Z in the background:
with both static and dynamic FW I got 374MB/s D2H and 310-320MB/s H2D.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage and ikir liked
ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

Posted by: franketto

I used Caldigit active TB3 2m, the same as passive TB3 0,5m:

Are you experiencing issues with the CalDigit active cable? I've read on the Amazon page Q&A that it's not advised to be used with an eGPU. Also one of the reviews says connection drops if the device is charging and passing data at the same time.

MacBook Pro 16" 2020 + Mantiz eGPU + RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Eminent Member

I have been using the CalDigit 2 meter cable for over a month now with my Mantiz and have had no issues  with the cable at all, things are stable the majority of the time.

2017 3.1ghz 15" MBP, 16gb of Ram, and Radeon 560 - Mantiz Venus EGPU with Silverstone SX800-LTI 800W power supply and Noctua fan - EVGA SC 1080TI - LG 34UC87M-B

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Posted by: Lunchbox

I have been using the CalDigit 2 meter cable for over a month now with my Mantiz and have had no issues  with the cable at all, things are stable the majority of the time.

Me too, Caldigit is realible as always and runs at 40Gbps

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
franketto
(@franketto)
Trusted Member

Caldigit seems to work well on data. But of course Lunchbox and ikir tested more days than me so they are more trusty on this Smile

But I have a problem with Lenovo Yoga 720:

When connected without its ali, the battery does not get charged from the Mantiz... is it possible Lenovo Yoga is not PD capable??

ReplyQuote
franketto
(@franketto)
Trusted Member

Sadly I discovered Lenovo Yoga 720 13'' has PD, whilst my Lenovo Yoga 720 15'' does NOT have PD! Bad design, or maybe it was the GTX 1050 + i7-7700HQ that's too much...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@franketto, I'm very sorry to hear about no PD on the 15" Yoga 720. Man, on paper a quad-core HQ and option for iGPU-only made this machine such an appealing prospect for eGPU host. Then we keep finding short-comings.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mbnwa
(@mbnwa)

I use the following cable and have not had any issues with performance or charging of my MacBook Pro 15

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H5QF1GO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ReplyQuote
 of  112