Notifications
Clear all

US$349 Mantiz Venus TB3 enclosure/dock  

of  112
  RSS

FricoRico
(@fricorico)
Eminent Member

I use the Mantiz Venus board with my Macbook Pro 2015 (TB2, M370X). I noticed that the expansion board causes boot freezing (black screen). Much like issues that can be resolved using PERST# workaround. Does anyone know why attaching the expansion board locks my Macbook.

I can hotplug the expansion board and use it without any problems.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

Posted by: lancetchang

2. I connected the mouse and keyboard on the USB port at the back of the enclosure. When GPU heat it up, it seems that the keyboard connection is not stable. I am not sure whether is due to the temperature issue or something else?

Is there a solution/explanation to this? I seem to experience this problem as well. When GPU is on (slight) load, the connection seem to drop for a split second.

MacBook Pro 16" 2020 + Mantiz eGPU + RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
FricoRico
(@fricorico)
Eminent Member

Is anyone using this enclosure with Thunderbolt 2 equipped Macbooks? I wonder if anyone else is having any black startup screen issues?

For me the Macbook firmware is locking the startup when this enclosure is attached. Can't seem to get past that and it would be great to be able to reboot with the eGPU still attached.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: FricoRico

Is anyone using this enclosure with Thunderbolt 2 equipped Macbooks? I wonder if anyone else is having any black startup screen issues?

For me the Macbook firmware is locking the startup when this enclosure is attached. Can't seem to get past that and it would be great to be able to reboot with the eGPU still attached.

Yep, I had similar issue with the Devilbox & Mid 2015 15" (M370X). The culprit was either complexity of multiple ports that the firmware couldn't initialize in EFI or the dGPU. I don't remember exactly.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

FricoRico liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I believe @goalque's workaround - part of automate-eGPU.sh's automatic mode would be perfect for you - on every boot, setting the tbt-options NVRAM option to <00> (it was something like this if I recall correctly) would do it (make a daemon or something). Of course, @goalque knows best regarding this. Booting into windows would probably reset it.

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

FricoRico and goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: mac_editor

I believe @goalque's workaround - part of automate-eGPU.sh's automatic mode would be perfect for you - on every boot, setting the tbt-options NVRAM option to <00> (it was something like this if I recall correctly) would do it (make a daemon or something). Of course, @goalque knows best regarding this. Booting into windows would probably reset it.

Yes, this setting keeps all TB devices invisible in EFI environment until the kernel takes control. It may work.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ts1
 ts1
(@ts1)

Are there steps I have to take to enable the ethernet functionality? I'm on macos 10.13.4 and in my network preferences everything just shows as "not connected", although a dongle for ethernet-thunderbolt 3 does work. I've tried this link to install a driver but the download link is dead for me:  https://mymantiz.com/blogs/news/mantiz-venus-ethernet-driver
Although I would think that this firmware is already pre-installed as I bought this mantis very recently and that blog post is from july last year...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@ts1 Try this link. The Mac drivers package is at the top.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FricoRico
(@fricorico)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

Right! I forgot that this script is still very relevant.

ReplyQuote
ts1
 ts1
(@ts1)

Posted by: itsage

@ts1 Try this link. The Mac drivers package is at the top.

worked perfectly, thank you!

ReplyQuote
 of  112